Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW95 Range

HW95 Range

Hi all,

Hoping to get back in to shooting having shot a little when I was younger (with my father) - will be joining a local shooting club.

From what I can see the Weichrauch HW95 seems to be a well recommended basic springer rifle, but I was wondering what the "usable" range would be? This is not for hunting, target shooting only, but just wondering what sort of distance it would remain accurate over.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

I would say with a well fettled HW95 you can still get good results at 50-55yards. But don't expect one hole groupings. Up to 35-40yards you can expect cloverleaf groups. Depends on how good you can shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arschilecki View Post
    I would say with a well fettled HW95 you can still get good results at 50-55yards. But don't expect one hole groupings. Up to 35-40yards you can expect cloverleaf groups. Depends on how good you can shoot.
    I agree with this......gut you may want to consider the HW99. I had the 95 and yes its a fine rifle but I found I could shoot my 99 better....95,s do tend to suffer a little from muzzle flip.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Having owned many 95s over the years, I can only confirm that they are a superb rifle well capable of good accuracy if held, like all springers, correctly. If you allow the gun to move properly, and don't try and apply the grip of death to it, the 95 is capable of outstanding performance up to 45 yards and more if an experienced shot.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I second what has been said above.
    I have two 95's - one in .177 and a .22. Both excellent rifles from the box, both improved smoothness wise from a spring re-lube which a club member carried out for me for £20. Now very slick. Lovely!

Both of mine are the current models with longer stock (HW95K310). I recommend them.

Cheers
    Mark
    Laminate stock HW100KT .177, HW100KT .22, HW95K luxus .22, BSA Meteor Mk3 .22, SMK Mod 12 .177, MAS 0.07 .177 BB CO2, Gamo P-23 CO2

It can give groups within an inch up to 60-65 yards.Very capable for target shooting. Takes some practise because it is a bit hold sensitive(well mine is)but as accurate as anything out there.
    Unfortunatelly I don't know how to upload pictures , have a card that I shot recently that would show what the HW95 is capable of.
    You can not go wrong with the 95.

Thanks for the replies. So would the HW95 be good for a beginner? How might it compare to say an Air Arms TX200?

There are too many to pick from - I suppose I just need to handle as many as I can and see what I get on with

The TX is also a cracking gun. However, it is considerably more heavy and is not as easy to load as a break barreled springer. This might be worthy of consideration if thinking about introducing somebody to our sport who isn't built like Garth.

I have lost count of the number of beginners/returners who I have advised to buy a 95. They really are that good, with the new model variant looking even better than the original. Hell, they even now come ready armed with the exemplar Weihrauch silencer unit. The 95 is the gun that both myself and my three sons all used to great effect, in both calibres for everything from rabbiting to organised target shooting for years when I couldn't afford to enter the PCP fray. A modern classic in my opinion!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I have both the tx200 and the 95 for 6 or 7 years.The TX is not hold sensitive but heavy and harder to cock.Accuracy wise there is nothing beetwen them.If it helps I reach for the 95 more often ,the easy loading, handling and light weight makes it near perfect IMO.(my 95 is more pellet fusy tough)

Marton

I have both an HW95k and a TX200HC (the carbine version). Both of these are excellent rifles, but have a very different feel to them and are different animals to shoot. Out of the box, the TX200 is the easier rifle to shoot well with, at least it is for me. It is however significantly heavier than the 95k, but by no means unmanageably so, though I do find the HW95k easier from standing due to it being a bit lighter. The TX200 is a bit dearer than the HW95k, but then the overall quality of the finish is better (this is cosmetic really, but the blueing and the stock on the TX200 is a thing of beauty!).

At longer ranges (above 35 yards) I find the groups to be tighter with the TX200, though this is probably due to its relatively sedate behaviour on firing, as it doesn't really have muzzle flip-up like the HW95k is prone to. Also, I prefer the Air Arms trigger to the Weihrauch trigger (comparing them "from the box"), and the HW has a fairly long "reach" to the trigger, which isn't ideal for every shooter. I would say try both and see which you prefer the feel of and go with that.

You won't regret buying a HW95, however be prepared to own a TX200 in the not too distant future.

I have recently seen some new HW95's in .20 cal and although I haven't shot one myself have been told they are the "dogs".

go to your club and ask the members , I have a hw 98 love it got .177 and .22 .

This guy is punching holes with his springer at 110 yards http://www.luchtbuks.net/index.php?s...dpost&p=643229 ! !

I have a TX200HC in .177 and an HW95 in .20. I love them both but in the past I have always had trouble with the HW95 as it is very susceptible to muzzle flip especially with the light HW silencer stuck on the end. Even ones in the highest state of tune like the SFS Banshee and the Venom Lazaglide suffered from flip- in my hands at least. With my current rifle which I tuned myself I have cured the 'flip' with a reasonably heavy steel muzzle weight and it is capable of surprising accuracy. I shoot it at my club up to 55 yards and it is great fun and shows impressive performance even in my hands. It is also remarkably handy and pointable. However, you will probably find a TX200 with its underlever adding balance and weight to the front easier to shoot well initially. As you want the rifle for targets, of the 2 I think the TX200 in .177 would be a safer option for you. However, for mixed use-a bit of target shooting and a bit of hunting- I would choose the HW95 in .20. As has been said try and handle them both.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 11-10-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

second this

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I have a TX200HC in .177 and an HW95 in .20. I love them both but in the past I have always had trouble with the HW95 as it is very susceptible to muzzle flip especially with the light HW silencer stuck on the end. Even ones in the highest state of tune like the SFS Banshee and the Venom Lazaglide suffered from flip- in my hands at least. With my current rifle which I tuned myself I have cured the 'flip' with a reasonably heavy steel muzzle weight and it is capable of surprising accuracy. I shoot it at my club up to 55 yards and it is great fun and shows impressive performance even in my hands. It is also remarkably handy and pointable. However, you will probably find a TX200 with its underlever adding balance and weight to the front easier to shoot well initially. As you want the rifle for targets, of the 2 I think the TX200 in .177 would be a safer option for you. However, for mixed use-a bit of target shooting and a bit of hunting- I would choose the HW95 in .20. As has been said try and handle them both.
    7 oclock this morning,i swopped my 95 laza for an old venom stocked 80 stage 1 for the above reason
    it realy was/is a beutifull rifle,but i cldnt shoot it,cldnt keep it still on the starget,lack of weight i suspect
    and then on discharge,the bit of flip nick talks about,,end of the day i cldnt get on with it
    ste