Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of new replica Pellet air pistols?

boff180 Guest

Lack of new replica Pellet air pistols?

Hi guys,

I'm starting to get a little frustrated at the complete lack of .177 pellet replica CO2 pistols that are coming on the market. Especially from Umarex.

Every gun that has been announced over the past 12 months has been BB! I really would like some of the new designs out there from Umarex and Crosman (the P38 and Tokarev being prime examples) but I can't use them at our pistol range as they are BB!!!!

It is ashame as Umarex have made some awesome models in the past, I own a Beretta 92 and used to own a S&W.

Why the trend away from pellet guns, surely they were more accurate?

Andy
    Last edited by boff180; 09-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.

I think its cost, bb's are cheaper to make as they are alot less complex internally to any pellet firer, maybe they just cant sell the numbers needed as pellet firers just aren't used enough in comp unless its a proper target type and style pistol.
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I think the market is responding to the majority & there are a lot of people out there who want realistic replicas that not only include the overall look but also blowback too.
    BB pistols lend themselves to this very design very easily and when copying real steel guns the reason they look like they do is that form follows function - whereas want you want is something that has to handle a soft and easily deformed lead pellet within the constraints of an existing cartridge design - something that's not easy to do without resorting to an internal revolver mechanism which negates the blowback function.
    You could do it with an ejecting shell design, but the space that this would require would leave no room for the ubiquitous 12g cartridge without resorting to a bespoke design rather than a replica.

Nicely put.

There are a couple of interesting new pellet guns from Umarex.

The S&W M&P 45, which, unfortunately has a plastic exterior, and is not particularly cheap in the UK.

The other is the metal bicolour Hammerli S26, which replaces the old Hammerli P26, itself a rebadging of the old RWS 225.

The new one looks nice but I doubt it will be as sturdy as the old German guns. Doesn't look as bomb proof as the Hammerli P26.

Looks like a Far East manufactured article to me. Could be wrong though.

Competitively priced though.

I find bb guns pleasant to look at, but not much fun to shoot.

The metal they're made from doesn't look like it will wear well.

I was prepared to make an exception for the Baikal Makarov, simply because I once had the real thing when I lived abroad, and the Baikal version is a solid steel gun made in the same factory as the firearms.

Just take it out once in a while, admire it and wipe it down. Never shoot it though.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 11-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

It is a bit disappointing really. All too often, the build quality on some of the BB firers seems to be skimpy with a short lifespan and nil in the way of spares. Fire and forget seems the order of the day. As above, I think the market is too small, and disposable cheaply made BB firers can be hoofed out quickly with a good profit margin.

The only one that has really piqued my interest is the Crosman Tokarev, but I reckon I'll stick to pellet TBH. It has given me the opportunity to save up though and invest in a couple of Vintage CO2s (Crosman 600 and Mk1) which have excellent build quality and have already lasted years from being manufactured

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I think the market is responding to the majority & there are a lot of people out there who want realistic replicas that not only include the overall look but also blowback too.
    BB pistols lend themselves to this very design very easily and when copying real steel guns the reason they look like they do is that form follows function - whereas want you want is something that has to handle a soft and easily deformed lead pellet within the constraints of an existing cartridge design - something that's not easy to do without resorting to an internal revolver mechanism which negates the blowback function.
    You could do it with an ejecting shell design, but the space that this would require would leave no room for the ubiquitous 12g cartridge without resorting to a bespoke design rather than a replica.

The one which would easily lend itself to this is the Mauser 96, which has the magazine in front of the trigger. The CO2 could fit in the handle in the usual way.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    The one which would easily lend itself to this is the Mauser 96, which has the magazine in front of the trigger. The CO2 could fit in the handle in the usual way.

Ian
    Indeed it does you clever man and it also came with a case/holster that doubled as a shoulder stock.
    Oooh, shell-ejecting, 12g powerlet powered & convertible to a mini-carbine ....I have taken the liberty of submitting the suggestion to Umarex - I wonder if they'll reply?
    Last edited by harvey_s; 10-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.

They have for some time been in danger of being increasingly more fragile disposable items - cheaply produced, no spares - pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap

There is a glimmer of light on the horizon though, that being the American market. Air pistols are growing in popularity there due to a number of factors not least the cost and availability of cartridge ammo. This is an enormous market that could really energise manufacturers to produce inovative and better quality air pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    They have for some time been in danger of being increasingly more fragile disposable items - cheaply produced, no spares - pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap

There is a glimmer of light on the horizon though, that being the American market. Air pistols are growing in popularity there due to a number of factors not least the cost and availability of cartridge ammo. This is an enormous market that could really energise manufacturers to produce inovative and better quality air pistols.

Lets hope so, as Crosman's output in recent times has been severely lacking in both quality and creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Lets hope so, as Crosman's output in recent times has been severely lacking in both quality and creativity.
    Indeed

When you look at what they produced in the '60s then their present offerings leave a lot to be desired

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Indeed

When you look at what they produced in the '60s then their present offerings leave a lot to be desired
    Agreed as with many spheres we appear to have been going backwards since the 60's....

....and while we're at it, I'm sick of the airgun magazines reviewing soft air pistols - if I wanted to read about toy guns I'd buy a toy gun magazine!

I'm hoping the ASG CZ75 P09 duty that is due out at the end of the year will be good.

It's a pellet firing blowback, mentioned in their newsletter from month or so ago

Quote Originally Posted by Bazmati2020 View Post
    I'm hoping the ASG CZ75 P09 duty that is due out at the end of the year will be good.

It's a pellet firing blowback, mentioned in their newsletter from month or so ago
    Presumable its some sort of revolver (under the skin) Wonder if the blowback will rotate the cylinder or whether that will still be down to trigger action?

No clues at all in articles, even inside revolver would be fine if blowback cycled for SA.

I keep searchng, I'm sure I saw somewhere they are hoping November/December release