Thread: FWB 80 Maccari vs dual vs original vs original

FWB 80 Maccari vs dual vs original vs original

Hi People, I'm new on this forum.
    After constantly ending up here when searching for info I thought I might as well join.

I was just lucky enough to find an FWB modell 80 for sale and picked it up It was not in the best condition but it shot straight and it was cheap.
    Barrel and receiver was scratched badly so I have been working on refurbishing it a little.
    Just reblued the barrel, and sights and was thinking of taking the rest of the gun apart and use duracoat to spray the body and reblue whatever else that is worn at the same time. I will also at some point make new grips probably of birch.

Which brings me to the point I was thinking of replacing all seals and the spring while I am at it.

Do some one here have experience with these different springs and what is the best option.

Jim Maccari's spring are famous but are they really better than the original springs?

And the dual spring set up; does it affect accuracy, does it give the gun much more recoil, is there much extra power with it?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Eidem View Post
    After constantly ending up here when searching for info I thought I might as well join.

I was just lucky enough to find an FWB modell 80 for sale and picked it up It was not in the best condition but it shot straight and it was cheap.
    Barrel and receiver was scratched badly so I have been working on refurbishing it a little.
    Just reblued the barrel, and sights and was thinking of taking the rest of the gun apart and use duracoat to spray the body and reblue whatever else that is worn at the same time. I will also at some point make new grips probably of birch.

Which brings me to the point I was thinking of replacing all seals and the spring while I am at it.

Do some one here have experience with these different springs and what is the best option.

Jim Maccari's spring are famous but are they really better than the original springs?

And the dual spring set up; does it affect accuracy, does it give the gun much more recoil, is there much extra power with it?

Cheers
    Hello there in Norway. I've shot 65s (same power plant as the 80) with one and two springs and I can't honestly tell the difference.

I don't believe for a minute that the recoil was substantially affected, although I think the dual spring set up does deliver a little more power. Certainly that's what was claimed when the 80 came out and I think 65s made after that point (for quite a lot of years) also had dual springs.

Whether Maccari springs are better than the originals I couldn't say for sure but in the case of FWB ones I very much doubt it, brilliant maker of springs though he undoubtedly is. I think a small increase in velocity is claimed for his FWB match springs, but I may be wrong about this?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cheers
    Are you feeling any recoil?

IIRC the FWB 80 can be used with the sledge locked or unlocked, via a screw at the front of the action.

Locked - the pistol will recoil (intended for use as a firearm trainer, I think).

Unlocked - the action slides back upon firing, and should feel 'recoil-less' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

IIRC the FWB 80 can be used with the sledge locked or unlocked, via a screw at the front of the action.

Locked - the pistol will recoil (intended for use as a firearm trainer, I think).

I think that's only true of the 65 and that the 80 had no firearm simulator setting.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think that's only true of the 65 and that the 80 had no firearm simulator setting.

That's right,only the Mod 65 has the simulator. Unless of course,someone owns a Mod 80 with it!

Ahh, sorry chaps. When I owned an 80 I also had two 65s. That would explain the incorrect memory.

(I always prefered the 80 to shoot. Particularly for the wide rearsight).

Question/thought remains to the OP - There shouldn't be felt recoil (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

I am feeling some recoil, the barrel lifts a little, causing me to to shoot high and forcing me to set the rear
    sight so low that I am starting to see the top of the receiver in the bottom of my rear sight opening.
    This is quite anying making it a disturbance.
    It is not set to "fire arm" mode, the mechanism slides.
    But with some fiddling I am realizing that it does not glide very freely. I took the gun apart and checked
    the guide axles and realized the rear axle was "scratched" I think I will replace all the parts in the slide
    mechanism. Replacing all the parts starting with the rear parts will hopefully get it loose again.
    Hopefully I do not have to replace all parts.....

This is why I am worried about creating more recoil. As I understand the dual spring set up consists of a
    regular spring with an additional spring inside it? I would believe it increases the velocity some if this is a fact?
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    That's right,only the Mod 65 has the simulator. Unless of course,someone owns a Mod 80 with it!
    I believe that might be the case It has a threaded hole in the front I I put in a screw there it locks the sliding mechanism.
    But I believe the screw and the plate only came with the box with the mod 65 originally.
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    I believe that might be the case It has a threaded hole in the front I I put in a screw there it locks the sliding mechanism.
    But I believe the screw and the plate only came with the box with the mod 65 originally.
    Are you sure? The FWB 80 has 3 barrel weights and, as far as I know, the threaded hole is to secure the first weight. The others are then screwed into that. I can pm you photos of my Model 80 if you like. However the Feinwerkbau website has archived manuals, parts lists and exploded drawings.

http://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Service...-product-range

http://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Service+Download/Exploded-drawings

As regards power, my 80 chronos at 460 ft/sec giving 3.4ft/lbs using 7 grain RWS Meisterkugeln pellets - more than adequate for target shooting at 10 metres.

Hope this helps

ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Are you sure? The FWB 80 has 3 barrel weights and, as far as I know, the threaded hole is to secure the first weight. The others are then screwed into that. I can pm you photos of my Model 80 if you like. However the Feinwerkbau website has archived manuals, parts lists and exploded drawings.
    Pretty sure Mine has two holes; one for the first weight and one for locking:

1 photo.
    2 photo.

As I see there seems to be quite a lot of variations in features between guns of the same models, I would not be surprised to see
    some modell 80's with and some without.

Thanks for the links. I already have them, but thanks still for bothering.

I do not really see the need for any more power in the gun, particularly
    if it comes with sacrificing any accuracy!
    I am siply looking for the smoothest and most consistent/ accurate set up.

Mine is original I believe, but it kinda feels a little more "harsh" then I would
    have expected. Most people seem to claim their guns are virtually recoil less.
    And that their sight picture remains undisturbed while firing. Also the few
    videos on the tube that shows firing seems to underline this.
    Mine kicks way more than the other ones i see fired.
    Either that or I definitely need a gym membership

So I am simply wondering if any of the other spring set ups are better?
    Last edited by Eidem; 11-11-2013 at 11:59 PM.