Thread: My most recent 'freebie'! (Airsporter content!)..

My most recent 'freebie'! (Airsporter content!)..

Hi all

I received another freebie yesterday, it's a Mk2 Airsporter that was in need of a little tlc!

The action was rusty and the stock looked sun bleached to death!!

I gave the action a rub with oil soaked wire wool then rubbed away at the stock with wet and dry paper!

Couldn't believe the quilted grain that was below the surface!!

The rifle shoots spot on!!

Pix..

Pic 1

Pic 2

After an oil rub down!!

Pic 3

Pic 4

Stock before..

Pic 5

Pic 6

After a rub down then wet the surface to raise the grain for de-nibbing tomorrow (it's with the abused mk1 stock that came in bits!!)

Pic 7

Pic 8

The stock doesn't look very good in the pics but in reality there is some fantastic graining in it!, I may need to shorten it on the bandsaw as there's a chunk missing from the heel, may have to remove around 1/2"..

I put the action next to the mk1 action just for storage and the Mk2 is about a 1/2" shorter than the Mk1, would this be normal as i've never put them side by side before

May have to get the other Airsporters out now to see if they're the same

PS, Has anyone ever seen a nojn adjustable rearsight the same as this one?? I've not

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Your fixed rear sight very interesting. I have a Standard .22 with what I think is an almost the same same sight fitted as an aftermarket replacement. Presumably the original broke? Not sure if hey wee made as an accessory (why would you want a fixed rear sight?) or are scratch made as replacements. Interesting.

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.

MKII Airsporter

Another chuffing freeby, how do you do it, I keep telling you John, I can store some of your toys, you must be running out of room. Seriously though looks really good timber after the rub down. It has the BSA logo on the stock too, I have a couple of these as you know but they have no logo. When did BSA stop pressing the stocks any idea?

I bet when you've finished with it it will looking as good as your others.

Mel

You lucky bar-steward how do you do it, its amazing what a bit of tlc will do on the metalwork.and that stock has a lovely grain it should come up looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    Another chuffing freeby, how do you do it, I keep telling you John, I can store some of your toys, you must be running out of room. Seriously though looks really good timber after the rub down. It has the BSA logo on the stock too, I have a couple of these as you know but they have no logo. When did BSA stop pressing the stocks any idea?

I bet when you've finished with it it will looking as good as your others.

Mel
    The MK 1 stock has the BSA logo pressed in. MK 2 stocks never had it.

BSA stopped adding this pressed logo during the MK 1 era IIRC - a cost saving I guess.

I have a 1951 Cadet with the BSA pressing and a 1955 without so it was dropped during that period.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

freebee

Well done John,another rescued,that timber looks like it will buff up great.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    DO NOT SHORTEN THE STOCK. Yes I did mean to shout!!!! You're obviously not too shabby when it comes to wood work. The oter Airsporter stock in the pictures proves that. Try doing a "patch repair" to replace the missing chunk.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

I received another freebie yesterday, it's a Mk2 Airsporter that was in need of a little tlc!

The action was rusty and the stock looked sun bleached to death!!

I gave the action a rub with oil soaked wire wool then rubbed away at the stock with wet and dry paper!

Couldn't believe the quilted grain that was below the surface!!

The rifle shoots spot on!!

Pix..

Pic 1

Pic 2

After an oil rub down!!

Pic 3

Pic 4

Stock before..

Pic 5

Pic 6

After a rub down then wet the surface to raise the grain for de-nibbing tomorrow (it's with the abused mk1 stock that came in bits!!)

Pic 7

Pic 8

The stock doesn't look very good in the pics but in reality there is some fantastic graining in it!, I may need to shorten it on the bandsaw as there's a chunk missing from the heel, may have to remove around 1/2"..

I put the action next to the mk1 action just for storage and the Mk2 is about a 1/2" shorter than the Mk1, would this be normal as i've never put them side by side before

May have to get the other Airsporters out now to see if they're the same

PS, Has anyone ever seen a nojn adjustable rearsight the same as this one?? I've not

John..
    Could walk into a lezza bar and come out with the best looking lipstick lezza in the place. Do you do the lottery John
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Looking forward to seeing the end product Mr john jammy baz

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    The MK 1 stock has the BSA logo pressed in. MK 2 stocks never had it.

BSA stopped adding this pressed logo during the MK 1 era IIRC - a cost saving I guess.

I have a 1951 Cadet with the BSA pressing and a 1955 without so it was dropped during that period.

Matty
    Learning every day.

Cheers Mat

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    DO NOT SHORTEN THE STOCK. Yes I did mean to shout!!!! You're obviously not too shabby when it comes to wood work. The oter Airsporter stock in the pictures proves that. Try doing a "patch repair" to replace the missing chunk.
    John, I would totally agree with this !

Thats a "grand bit of stick" you have there, its well worth a repair as "Harry" describes !
    I'd like to pop over and check out the finished article sometime ?

John.

ps. bloody nice find by the way !
    “An airgun or two”………

Thumbs up

Ha ha!!

Some of the replies made me chortle!!

I gave the stock a couple of coats of Alkanet root oil after another rub down with the wet and dry paper to de-nib the wood then a couple of coats of Shellac based grain sealer followed by a rubbed in coat of Boiled Linseed oil, would have preferred to have used Welsh Willies Tung based oil but i've none left and can't wait!!

The pic is terrible with flash bounce as it was dark but i'll take another pic tomorrow with good daylight!

At present

Btw, Is the mk2 action normally 1/2" shorter than the mk1??, this one is!!, i'll have to dig the other mk1 and mk2 'sporters out of the spare room to check sometime!!

John, i'll get in touch in a couple of weeks if that's OK, lost my mum last weekend and it's been a bit busy with things..

EDIT- Harry, i'm not really going to chop the stock

Thought Gary (Grayling) would have made a contribution to the thread (verbally, in the form of name calling!) as he normally does

Cheers, John..

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    So sorry to hear about your Mum, chin up Mate !

See you soon.

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    JohnBaz coming out of the Lezza club
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Johnn...d%3B968%3B1549

Maybe he is dyslexic and his name is JohnDepp?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    JohnBaz coming out of the Lezza club
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Johnn...d%3B968%3B1549

Maybe he is dyslexic and his name is JohnDepp?

Hi Guy

I'm afraid it's true!! I am indeed a Lesbian, I only go with women! (don't tell the wife though )

John