Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re webley oil can on the bay

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

re webley oil can on the bay

been watching this item thinking where will this go ,knowing the present excitement generated by period oil cans at £150 i thought
    this was going a bit mad but noticed tonight its reached the dizzy heights of £175 and still time left will it break £200
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

A similar condition can sold for £255.00 in March this year

Sam

I expect it to realise £200 and possibly a bit more as it appears to be in very good condition.

Regards

Brian

I bet it's empty

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I bet it's empty
    Hi Peter,

I bought a nice example of this 2nd pattern post-war oil can a year or so ago for a lot less which did contain some original oil. As I'm sure you know, Webley oil has a very distinct aroma which is difficult to confuse with any other.

Now at £215 (a bit silly) with 13 bidders and 3 days to go !

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 13-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.

All joking aside, Brian

I have never had a sniff of webley oil, which, for some reason, I thought was just a form of engine oil (can't remember who told me that now). I was weaned on 3 in 1.

Nothing like a whiff of smoking gun oil from an dieseling springer that has been sat dormant, mmmmmmmmm

funny how much smells can stick to the memory ,dieseling airguns,hot steam/burnt coal from steam engines,burnt two stroke oil from the old stuff i was overtaken by an old t500 the other day and what struck me was that smell.the smell of some old stocks can have a strong effect memory wise,i have an airsporter that smells of old wax and pipe tobacco .

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    funny how much smells can stick to the memory ,dieseling airguns,hot steam/burnt coal from steam engines,burnt two stroke oil from the old stuff i was overtaken by an old t500 the other day and what struck me was that smell.the smell of some old stocks can have a strong effect memory wise,i have an airsporter that smells of old wax and pipe tobacco .

Talking of 'old smells' How are the boys down the shop ????

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    All joking aside, Brian

I have never had a sniff of webley oil, which, for some reason, I thought was just a form of engine oil (can't remember who told me that now). I was weaned on 3 in 1.

Nothing like a whiff of smoking gun oil from an dieseling springer that has been sat dormant, mmmmmmmmm
    Hi Peter,

As far as I'm aware Webley No 2 was as you say basically SAE 30 engine oil with No1 having a 'Neatsfoot Oil' base. This would make sense given that No2 oil was recommended for use with metal piston washers and No1 for leather washers.

Regards

Brian

Hi Bob,
    Do you remember the lovely smell that accompanied old pre 2002 'proper' Eley Wasps? It reminded me of solid British engineering.

On to your main point, many years ago I owned a Musketeer that reaked of creosote or similar. It rattled at the breech hinge and trigger block too, so didn't stay with me for long -horrible thing. Maybe that was a bit harsh and I should have said poor thing as it obviously had a hard life.

John

edbear2 Guest
    Youngs ".303" does it for me...must be up there with Castrol R as one of my favourites

ATB, Ed

hi pete,the lads will be amused!! to read this "lol " they no doubt thought that things had quietened down after the err dodgy cup and questionable milk vintage; the lads are in good form ,particularly vick who was excited about picking up a westley/richards pistol of 1908 vintage ,what a find ;the friday afternoon crew were all fumbling with this interesting model that had all the hallmarks of the later webley configuration, vick had to feverishly wipe off the grubby finger marks after we had all groped his latest find all quite overshadowed my latest find of a w/stinker oops i mean stinger!!.
    hi john,yes not just the smell but also the taste! after a days plinking. we used to hold a couple of pellets in out teeth for the next shot so we could almost tell which brand by the flavour, horrible on reflection
    Last edited by red bob; 13-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Youngs ".303" does it for me...must be up there with Castrol R as one of my favourites

ATB, Ed
    It seems to me we may well have inadvertently stumbled on the basis for a new range of 'gentleman's fragrances' here. It could be David Beckham will be in for some serious competition in the future !

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    It seems to me we may well have inadvertently stumbled on the basis for a new range of 'gentleman's fragrances' here. It could be David Beckham will be in for some serious competition in the future !

Regards

Brian
    Indeed we may have! Youngs 303 does it for me as well!
    I use it from time to time and I also have a part used tin of some considerable age.
    I have been known to open it and 'forget' to close it when locking my gun room.
    When opening again I'm met with a wonderful smell combined with the background aroma
    of oiled steel and wood.
    I have stopped short of dabbing a drop or two behind each ear, it's probably carcinogenic?
    and I don't want them dropping off!

Chris.

So this can fetched £230, Item # 221295925296

but this one (in Canada) only fetched £77.55 Item # 181234450995

Even allowing for the extra shipping cost from Canada that's a big difference. Is that purely down to the different variant of tin, or just the peculiarities of e bay?
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?