Thread: Aligning + Focusing your scope

Zeroing + Focusing your scope

At the moment my scope is set zerod to 35 yards. I`m only going to be shooting this distance once a week when i go to the indoor shoot. The rest of the time i`m gonna be "plinking" (is that the word?) in my house, over 10 yards or so. At the moment i shooting WELL well low! If you were shooting mostly at 10 yards would you zero the scope for 10 yards and adjust it everytime you went to ther indoor shoot? Or learn to adjust your aim?

Also i`m having real problems focusing over such a small distance. I can only focus on real low magnification. As soon as i get into anything decent in magnification the focus goes and can`t be refocuses! Is my scope too powerful for the distance i`m shooting indoors.

All worked perfectly indoor over 35 yards!

Appreciate any replys
    Chris
    Last edited by craynerd; 21-05-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Whilst shooting at 10 yards re-Zero your rifle's elevation turret and remember how many clicks it took - when you've finished shooting at 10 yards, just turn the top turret down the number of clicks you moved it up.

The out of focus issue is down to what distance your scope is parallaxed to - I assume you don't have a parallax adjustable scope (PA). Lowering the magnification will help - if you let us know the make/model of scope you'll probably get some scope specific advice.

Hope that helped
    All the best
    Bri

Hummmm, ok, young-gun sold it me...have to wait for him to tell you what scope it is...but thanks for the reply!

Chris

Paul Hudson Guest
    At ten yards on a 35 yard zero it WILL shoot low.

It's the height of the centre of the scope above the centre of the barrel that's the culprit. My FT rifle shoots about 2.5 inch low at 10 yards on a 30 yard zero. Personally, I'd learn to live with it and work out where to aim for the close stuff.

As for the focus - same as what Bri said

HTH.

Paul.