Thread: Another mystery pistol challenge for you

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Red face Another mystery pistol challenge for you

As yesterday's challenge about a mystery air pistol aroused a bit of interest I thought I would throw another mystery one into the forum and stir up a bit of discussion. The challenge is to identify this pistol and I have a vested interest in this is, as I know very little about how this gun actually works and am keen to get some more information if I can. Unfortunately I don't own one, and I don't know anyone who does, so the picture I have is not great. Here it is:
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbfeedc72.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea, and definitely not vintage, but very interesting. It is a springer, .177 calibre, and the piston moves rearwards on firing as for the Webleys. However the barrel is fixed and the gun is cocked by an underlever – presumably the extended trigger guard but I'm not sure.

Anyone able to identify it? I do know who made it and when, and I will reveal all if no one else comes up with the goods.

Gosh, what an ugly looking beast!

Is it East European / Russian?

Good guess!

Interesting!

Completely wild guess, a prototype/concept model.

By er........ Cometa?

Im gonna guess baikal... reminds me of their mp514
    Donald

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I cannot find anything now because I am a computer divi, but something is in my mind that it is a Baikal that was supposed to be introduced at a German arms fair a few years ago? Maybe it is old age setting in?

If it is a fixed barrel then a sliding breech at the back, similar to Crosman pump ups?
    Last edited by ggggr; 15-10-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Something about that trigger guard/cocking lever (if that's what it is) reminds me of the Falke 33. Could the fixed barrel then be accessed for loading like the Crosman pump-ups, as Guy says?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Well that was quick - Spot on thiisdonald and gggr - it is a Baikal. Nothing wrong with your memory gggr.

It was introduced in 2010 at a Nuremberg arms fair when Baikal were celebrating their 65th anniversary. Its official name was the Baikal MP-621, and the data provided said that it had an overall length of 28.5 cm, a of 1.2 kg, and a muzzle velocity of 120 m/sec (sorry about the metric units). It came with a push button safety and provision for additional sights. All the signs were that this was to be the new flagship springer from Baikal - and then it just vanished. I havent been able to find a mention of it anywhere since then, even on Russian airgun websites. Why Baikal dropped it like a hot potato I don't know. Any info that throws any light on this puzzle would be much appreciated.

You can see the original literature here imzcorp.com/res_en/0_hfile_393_1.pdf

I'm sure you are right about the cocking action Danny, it is very reminiscent of the Falke.

Ive always fancied a baikal sidelever... I also had a secret lust for the old smk biathlon trainer!
    I might give one of those mp514 a go sometime.. if one ever comes up at a decent price
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Well that was quick - Spot on thiisdonald and gggr - it is a Baikal. Nothing wrong with your memory gggr.

It was introduced in 2010 at a Nuremberg arms fair when Baikal were celebrating their 65th anniversary. Its official name was the Baikal MP-621, and the data provided said that it had an overall length of 28.5 cm, a of 1.2 kg, and a muzzle velocity of 120 m/sec (sorry about the metric units). It came with a push button safety and provision for additional sights. All the signs were that this was to be the new flagship springer from Baikal - and then it just vanished. I havent been able to find a mention of it anywhere since then, even on Russian airgun websites. Why Baikal dropped it like a hot potato I don't know. Any info that throws any light on this puzzle would be much appreciated.

You can see the original literature here imzcorp.com/res_en/0_hfile_393_1.pdf

I'm sure you are right about the cocking action Danny, it is very reminiscent of the Falke.
    Phew! not going senile then? I must have seen it on the Baikal site I guess and that is why I cannot find it now.
    just found a thread I started last year and this link was on it.
    http://imzcorp.com/res_en/0_hfile_393_1.pdf
    Last edited by ggggr; 15-10-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Just found an old thread
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

its an interesting looking pistol.. I imagine it would shoot just like a webley. It looks like a webley piston has been turned upside down and the air transfer port rotated 180 to keep the barrel up top. It would seem from this effort and the overlever rifle, that someone on the baikal design team has been rethinking good designs and applying modern materials and looks. Id love either of these!
    Donald

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    As yesterday's challenge about a mystery air pistol aroused a bit of interest I thought I would throw another mystery one into the forum and stir up a bit of discussion. The challenge is to identify this pistol and I have a vested interest in this is, as I know very little about how this gun actually works and am keen to get some more information if I can. Unfortunately I don't own one, and I don't know anyone who does, so the picture I have is not great. Here it is:
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbfeedc72.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea, and definitely not vintage, but very interesting. It is a springer, .177 calibre, and the piston moves rearwards on firing as for the Webleys. However the barrel is fixed and the gun is cocked by an underlever – presumably the extended trigger guard but I'm not sure.

Anyone able to identify it? I do know who made it and when, and I will reveal all if no one else comes up with the goods.
    You mean this?

http://shooting.org/Guns/Airguns/Bai...y_Zavod/MP_621

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Yes that's the one. I have been watching that page but still no reviews. The gun just seems to have disappeared off the radar.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Yes that's the one. I have been watching that page but still no reviews. The gun just seems to have disappeared off the radar.
    Shame that, I like it!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

I think there was a bit about it on that pdf link I put up.

I reckon it would be based on the 53M, having the same sized cylinder,similar anti beartrap and trigger and (wildly guessing ), the barrel that is shrunk into the breech block on the 53M, perched on top of the cylinder with a transfer port like a Crosman pumper, rather than the Webley U bend.
    Any other links or diagrams I wonder??