Thread: Smith and Wesson 79G monkey metal?

Smith and Wesson 79G monkey metal?

A lot of guys moan that some air pistols are made of "monkey metal", which is a generic term for mainly zinc alloy castings.I like this material as when a very old pistol has been neglected there is virtually no deterioration.Picked up an old 79G which was internally in a bad condition, the seals were all gooey.Still had the original factory grease which had gone like yellow cheese, and even an old copper coated CO2 capsule with pressed on cap.New seals, new grease and a coat of paint and it is almost like new.No rusty surface which I am sure it would have had if made from steel, looking at the way it had been neglected.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 16-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Different model, please ignore this post,,
    Last edited by bobby1; 16-10-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: different model
    , .22 Midas , .177 TX200 SR. ZASTAVA PISTOL.177.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    As a material, its perfectly ok when used in the correct areas...i.e. ones not subject to wear, such as pivots and sliding parts.
    For these areas its crap unless bushed or sleeved with something more durable or replaceable such as steel or PTFE.

I used to have a 78G (.22) - the castings were high quality

These are great guns

Ian, I have another 79G and 78G which I enjoy shooting.Both very accurate and good power due to long 8 inch barrel and adjustable hammer spring.Regarding "pot metal" or "monkey metal", most of the modern CO2 pistols are made from zinc alloy, such as the Umarex pistols, and the Witness etc.This is due to economics and easy detail casting instead of a lot of machining.A lot of modern centre fire pistols have aluminium alloy frames with steel inserts, mainly to cut down on carry weight.I carried 9mm's almost every day for 22 years and appreciated the alloy ones such as Smith Model 39 and Sig 220.
    I was surprised that the 79G seems to have an aluminium alloy top "slide", I always thought it was zinc like the grip frame.The only zinc frame pistol I have seen any problems with is the Schimel which seems sometimes to develop a type of powdery oxide.

Baz

Powder

I have seen this residue on some like old Daisy - seems the metals used oxidise - or perhaps it is a reaction with the paint or grease . Some wire wool works wonders .