Thread: Which pistol??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BigEars Guest
    Shooting the HW45 in 0.22 is the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.

If you shop around, you could buy a used original mod 5,6 or 10, a fwb65/80.

The last four will kick the hw45 into a corner due to their superior trigger, build quality and semi recoilless action.

However I have just acquired a stunning webley hurricane .177 which I find more enjoyable to shoot and I have owned a few 45's.

I would, without hesitation, recommend the HW45....

In my opinion, the looks are fantastic.

Solid, chunky, well-engineered, tough as old boots, yet with plenty of finesse. Fine accuracy once mastered and excellent trigger. And, in my experience, they deliver power as close to the limit as is practical.

As you're already fancying one anyway, make this fine pistol your first port of call....If you buy anything else, you'll still want one....Come to think of it, though, that's not a bad thing, as you can never have too many toys!

I also own a HW40, Brummy Tempest, 1377 and 2240. The Crosmans don't have the build of the European guns but, especially the 1377, can be amazingly accurate...but you have to pump it.

The HW40 is amazingly accurate. Excellent trigger and very forgiving to shoot. Feels nice in the hand, too.

Yes, I would one day love one of the older FWB pistols.

However, of I were to own just the one pistol, and if not shooting paper target competitions, the 45 would be MY choice!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks to all that replied: plenty of food for thought. I think I'm going to have to try and get to shoot as many spring pistols as I can and make a choice. I want to go spring as I like the none-dependence on co2 bulbs or air cylinders. I'm comfortable with the idea of handling recoil: I have no problems with a HW95, indeed I went back to a spring rifle as I found PCPs soulless and almost too easy. Each to their own I guess.

Thanks again guys!

i went through same process a short while ago power and accuracy Webley alecto all the way check it out on youtube absolutely brilliant shoot
    the HW 45`s are well under the power they are quoted at no where neaer even the 5.5ftlbs some have claimed i found they were nearer 4.5 ftlbs

Quote Originally Posted by dino89 View Post
    the HW 45`s are well under the power they are quoted at no where neaer even the 5.5ftlbs some have claimed i found they were nearer 4.5 ftlbs

Whereas, in my personal experience, they've all been very close, and the .22 that I currently own was far too close for comfort and had to be tamed a little.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

My .22 Black Star is running at 5.5fpe.
    It's also a stunning looking beast in MY eyes. I don't get the ugly vibe that's directed at the 45.

I have a Silver star in .177. Not as pokey as the Black Star, doing around 4.5fpe which is more than enough for my requirements.

I own two 45's, and a 40. An Alecto, two 240 Magnums and a mint Webley Nemesis (my sons). If I was ever to cash em in I'd not part with the two 45's.

That's purely my personal opinion and I'm in no way a pistol connoisseur.
    AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....