Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pistol??

Which pistol??

Hi group:

I'm thinking of buying an air pistol for a bit of back garden target practice and plinking. I really don't want to go CO2, so I'm thinking of a Weirhauch HW45. Looking for peoples' opinions on this pistol, or thoughts on something similar. Thanks in advance

Phil

The HW45 is an excellent pistol. They're quite powerful, but not the most powerful pistols around, and can be very accurate with practise. However, they are very ugly things with little style and no grace about them, to some they lack character. Some, like me, acknowledge that they're technically very good but do not like them because of this soullessness. Even though they're technically not as good I find shooting Webley Tempests, Hy-Scores, BSA pistols and others much more satisfying and enjoyable. It's all down to you really, if you feel that the lack of character and ugliness won't bother you, give it a go.

Ive owned a few in both .177 and .22 versions. I would agree that they arent quite as powerful as their reputation suggests - still pretty powerful all the same though. Mastering the recoil make shooting them a rewarding experience when things start to improve and I have found them capable of very good accuracy indeed. In my opinion .22 versions are smoother and nicer to shoot.

Contrary to the above post I do think they have character - mind you its not to everyones taste! What I would agree with though is that they look as though they have fallen off the ugly tree and hit a few branches on the way down. I understand they were trying to replicate the looks of a Colt 1911 for the American market but the result looks unbalanced and cumbersome. Personally I think an exposed chamber and barrel without the mock slide (a la Webley) would have looked and handled far better.

At the end of the day its down to personal taste and preference. As regards performance and the 'fun factor' you cant go far wrong and if you decide that you dont like it and want to move it on then they do seem to sell well on the used market.

Personally I would go for the HW 40 or a Webley Alecto, but that's just my opinion.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you want power - the HW45 is realistically as much as you'll find anywhere in a spring pistol and they have half decent triggers for a spring pistol, however they are notorious for dieselling and about as a subtle as a housebrick.
    However for target work they will ultimately disappoint unless you can demonstrate a high level of recoil control and pistol marksmanship (which even some very accomplished pistol shooters struggle with...)

If you are new to pistol shooting, I would suggest an SSP something like an HW40, less power, but more than enough - with a better trigger and recoiless as well.
    This is accurate enough to put shots where you aimed them and to learn the principles of pistol shooting without wondering if its you or the gun
    Chances are this way you'll probably continue pistol shooting rather than get frustrated early on and like so many do - just end up shoving the HW45 in a draw somewhere.

secretagentmole Guest
    Daisy Powerline 747 and Gamo Compacts are also good!

+1 re the HW40 - lovely gun to shoot and not a mad price either

Ive had a couple of Alectos, one of each and was very impressed with the performance, I particularly liked the variable power option - however I hated the grip and style and found it a cumbersome beast - unlike the Hw40 which is very nicely proportioned in my view

I've only had CO2 pistols and my advice would be sod the accuracy and get a Tanfoglio Witness 1911! The BB's all travel in roughly the same direction when they come out of the barrel but more importantly it's cool as anything with proper blow-back. If you want to knock down a target you can just throw a tennis ball at it after you've emptied the magazine

Possibly I'm a bit shallow in my judgement though.

The Witness is a pretty good target pistol.
    It just takes a lot more shots to hit the target....say 15!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The Witness is a pretty good target pistol.
    It just takes a lot more shots to hit the target....say 15!
    Spray and pray!

Any why not? All jolly good fun

One of the aforementioned proper air pistols is more of a long term proposition though

Of the CO2 replicants than I would say that the S&W 586/686 is the best accuracy wise

The HW45

IS without doubt a great pistol to shoot and is one that responds very very well indeed to good technique.....I owned an ALECTO for some time and it was clinical,it took some time to fettle all the bits that could be adjusted but when this was done the pistol was sooo accurate and forgiving of dodgy technique with it.....that is why it had to go because there was little challenge in shooting it.... and SWMBO stated one pistol only so it had to be a Black Star in .177 and this pistol is hard to put down......but recently she learned a pal sold me a brand new Brocock Grand Prix 6 for ten bob cw Hawke red dot and who was I no to help him out!!!! Ahem..cough..splutter!!!Anyway the new toy is for another thread.....meantime enjoy the agony of selecting a pistolatb

Due to a (thankfully short lived) financial crisis I had only one pistol for a while

That was tough!

Best to have at least half a dozen but preferably more!

BigEars Guest
    Shooting the HW45 in 0.22 is the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.

If you shop around, you could buy a used original mod 5,6 or 10, a fwb65/80.

The last four will kick the hw45 into a corner due to their superior trigger, build quality and semi recoilless action.

However I have just acquired a stunning webley hurricane .177 which I find more enjoyable to shoot and I have owned a few 45's.

I would, without hesitation, recommend the HW45....

In my opinion, the looks are fantastic.

Solid, chunky, well-engineered, tough as old boots, yet with plenty of finesse. Fine accuracy once mastered and excellent trigger. And, in my experience, they deliver power as close to the limit as is practical.

As you're already fancying one anyway, make this fine pistol your first port of call....If you buy anything else, you'll still want one....Come to think of it, though, that's not a bad thing, as you can never have too many toys!

I also own a HW40, Brummy Tempest, 1377 and 2240. The Crosmans don't have the build of the European guns but, especially the 1377, can be amazingly accurate...but you have to pump it.

The HW40 is amazingly accurate. Excellent trigger and very forgiving to shoot. Feels nice in the hand, too.

Yes, I would one day love one of the older FWB pistols.

However, of I were to own just the one pistol, and if not shooting paper target competitions, the 45 would be MY choice!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!