Thread: POI Low

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I would not expect bench resting to give the same poi as freehand, nor would I expect freehand single handed to give the same poi as freehand double handed. Recoil reaction is not the same when holding differently.

You might be flinching it low, and as advised the exercises already described will help you to identify and avoid that, but don't get hung up on the bench rest results. Adjust your sights so that poi is where you want it using your chosen poa. Use the exercises, and, as your group size reduces you may find that you need to tweak the sights - concentrate on small groups not on poi - with a small group a simple adjustment of your sight will put them where you want them - with a large group no amount of sight twiddling will achieve the result you are looking for.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

POI Low

Thank you all so much for this invaluable input, and for the recommendations which may help me improve. I'll get to it!

Dave

Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure you are shooting at the same distance and angle in the field? Sometimes more difficult to judge than the fixed known distance at the range. Also, if you are shooting downhill at the range and/or uphill in the field, your POI would drop.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

POI Low

Hi Paul,

The zeroing range is level, the distances to targets similar in the field to range distances, (but the field targets are on a slight downward slope away from the shooter). In the field one or two targets are at the same level as my feet due to the slope, otherwise they are pretty level perched in trees. But I take your point that the elevation of a target could require an adjustment to poa. But I seem to have a low poi across the board.

Will try to follow the advice given so far when I'm shooting Saturday.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho View Post
    Hi Paul,

The zeroing range is level, the distances to targets similar in the field to range distances, (but the field targets are on a slight downward slope away from the shooter). In the field one or two targets are at the same level as my feet due to the slope, otherwise they are pretty level perched in trees. But I take your point that the elevation of a target could require an adjustment to poa. But I seem to have a low poi across the board.

Will try to follow the advice given so far when I'm shooting Saturday.

Dave
    Is there any significant temperature difference? Are you shooting earlier or later in the field? Just thinking aloud really about what else might afffect POI.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

He's just flinching, otherwise we would all have the same problem with temperature with precharge, which I personally do not.May get it with C02 on extreme days.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    He's just flinching, otherwise we would all have the same problem with temperature with precharge, which I personally do not.May get it with C02 on extreme days.

Baz
    I reckon its a flinch type of problem too. It can though, be a slight drop of the entire arm as the shot is fired, not just the wrist. I sometimes do this if my cadence (timing of sequence) is out. Theres a lot going on when aiming and firing a pistol or rifle. Loss of concentration on every element of the shot will result in an error. I know! ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Is there any significant temperature difference? Are you shooting earlier or later in the field? Just thinking aloud really about what else might afffect POI.
    I discounted temp as I take it straight from the zeroing range (just to check) to the pistol range which is adjacent, so no temp difference. It's something I'm doing. Either flinching or as suggested arm movement due to not concentrating 100%. Need lots more practice, but thanks to you guys at least I now understand why it is occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho View Post
    I discounted temp as I take it straight from the zeroing range (just to check) to the pistol range which is adjacent, so no temp difference. It's something I'm doing. Either flinching or as suggested arm movement due to not concentrating 100%. Need lots more practice, but thanks to you guys at least I now understand why it is occurring.
    If it is a technique problem, and you are new to shooting, don't get put off. Shooting is akin to jigsaw puzzles, as in, there are lots of individual parts that are put together to complete the whole, I don't think anyone ever masters it which is why its such a challenge. We all have to constantly practice stance, breathing, hold,trigger control,sight picture, follow through etc, and it all needs to come together at the moment of sear release. Good luck with the learning curve! ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.