Thread: junior sized vintage rifle

junior sized vintage rifle

I want to buy my daughter (aged 5) a springer to get her into shooting.
    She's succesfully and accurately shot my Sharp Innova and Brocock Contour, so she's got the innate ability.

Currently available new are a couple of SMK nasties and the overpriced Webley (sic) Cub.

So I'm thinking - I've seen at shows (and never paid much attention to) a whole range of small break barrels from the 60's and 70's. I can't remember the names of them, but I'm thinking some were Webley and some BSA (Cadet? Ranger?).

Can anybody point me in the right direction, I want a small and lightweight gun - it should have telescopic sight mounts. Power isn't important, I guess these would all be at around the 6-7ftlb mark?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Baikal IJ38?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Hi Bob--well if you want something a bit better than the Diana 15/G74 etc ( I would give them a miss)Then you have the Diana 22/23, Webley Junior/Jaguar and Ranger, which are all more or less the same rifle although some have proper barrels rather than a tinplate with a brass sleeve. All share the same failing of the piston can wear at the point the cocking arm pushes on an the piston would set you back about £30 unless you could get it welded up. The later Milbro G76 is the same size and even has a small scope rail. The Original 22 and HW25 are the same size as well (HW25 very over rated and overpriced for what it is). The Bsa Cadet and Diana 25 are bigger, better built guns and would be too heavy for a young child. The Slavia 618,622? are slightly smaller that the Diana22?Webley guns, but the trigger can play up.

I know a bloke who has a good condition Diana 22 for sale, which I think he is putting up for sale in AGW for about £35.
    I think RoyalScotsgrays on here has a Slavia 622 he was going to put up for sale.
    The above just about sums up the range of 'Junior' air rifles available.

The difficulty might be getting something with a scope rail especially if a classic rifle is required. I believe the BSA Mk1 Meteor was the first British air rifle to offer this option back in 1959, but as stated above this would be way too heavy for someone of your daughters age.

It's nice to see some encouragement with the introduction of youngsters to the sport.

Good luck with your search.

Regards

Brian

A Slavia 624 could be an option.

It's a tiny little air rifle. Weighs next to nothing and is very, VERY well build. No scope mount though, but sights would be better practice for her anyway.

Besides that, it's a real classic.

Tim
    Everything's worth restoring.

BSA Cadet.
    Fit and weight is one thing but as important is a decent trigger. Most have such horrible triggers that they could put young shots off for life!!! We wouldn't shoot with much worse than a Record trigger so why do we expect youngsters to shoot something that you need to stamp on the trigger to get it to go off.

For the age a Barnet childrens crossbow are the best; you need two, one for you, and plenty of bolts:
    http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/pro...g#.UmaBfSiJJhM

You can teach all the safety rules, plus wind, elevation and bullet spin You can teach the difference between a toy and a real one. Set the rules and if they are broken then they get put away again.. We have four in the house and my children still play with them and they are in their late teens! I'm still waiting for my daughter to grow into my rifles... you have to be patient and wait until they are strong enough. In the mean time teach safety and have fun.

Thanks for the info chaps.
    The crossbow looks fun, we've been using a Nerf "Jolt" pistol that fires foam darts - surprisingly good and a nice challenge to knock birthday cards off a windowsill from the opposite side of the lounge.
    But I want her to shoot airguns, so I like the look of the Diana 22 but I think a scope will be required.
    I just found another modern alternative - the Cometa 50, but I've no idea if it's any use.

Biker Bob, Doesn't matter what make but its got to have a half decent trigger. Target or open sights work just fine with young eyes. If you must put a scope on it keep it simple 4x40 with good glass. Over the years I've had to swop over a good few all the toys cheep scopes that just don't cut it for simple classics that do.
    Be safe, have fun. (Garden range safety is mandatory; every few years someone makes a tragic mistake, take it seriously and set it up well and enforce the rules).

+1 for bsa cadet

My first gun was a cadet... superb.. accurate. Easy to cock. Lightweight. Well balanced.
    I would teach open sights first before using a scope. Scopes break.. then where will you be?
    Donald

Diana 23

My 9 year old grandaughter is getting quite good with my 1954/64 model 23 (I think! Stamp on butt is there 8 54, may be 8 64 but very faint) got to leave the fwb at home as she keeps eyeing it up.
    I've got a nice Original model 9 scope 4x20 that would be good for the Diana but no scope rail... Any ideas?
    The Diana is good for the young ones, light and it's a solid real air gun, not worth silly money, easy to cock, and I like to shoot it, try one.

She's getting as she can hit things I can't see! Kids!
    And she's unusual that she listens very carefully to what I say regarding safety, aiming, loading, etc.
    Not shot me yet anyway!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=16

BSA Merlin. Even I can manage to shoot it one handed.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

HTH
    Ian
    Hello,

Having had my mind jogged, I would definitely agree with the choice of the BSA 'Merlin' as the perfect classic junior air rifle. These dainty little rifles were one of only two BSA air rifles specifically designed for younger shooters. The 'Merlin, also has the advantage of being collectable which can only enhance its appeal.

Regards

Brian

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Webley Jaguar/Junior? I have a couple of these, one with a 4x32 ASI scope. 36" long overall, weighs in at 4.1lbs scoped, short reach to pull.

PM me with your email if interested: I'll send some piccies.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

HTH
    Ian
    Good choice this is an underlever with a pop up breech, there's no fingers being put at risk when loading.
    http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting...ir_rifles.html

I got her a Relum LG527 in the end.
    It's a nice little gun, quite long in the barrel but short everywhere else.
    We took it out and it was OK but I didn't take into account me having to cock it for her and thus breaking the flow and upsetting her (prone) shooting stance.
    So I'm afraid I went and bought her an AGS PCR1 which she can cock and load herself and which has a bipod on the forend. Now we can both shoot at the same time and she's knocking over 36yd Turkey Sillis 9 out of 10 with it. Fair enough it won't teach her about correct hold, but she's still got to learn correct follow through and trigger control.
    Thanks for all the advice.