Thread: Holts December Auction

Holts December Auction

As usual, Holts have some interesting Air Gun Lots coming up in their December 2013 Auction including this interesting Diana Mod 14.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...refno=+++72514

Pictures of some Lots yet to be added but descriptions seem to be all there.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 22-10-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Lot 601 looks interesting, it is a Jean Marck No2 Demi-Tir model that is marked for Adgey...from the description it sounds like it has the monte carlo type stock, minus the chequering, with standard butt plate. Not sure about the finish though?...description says (and it looks) black...I have two Demi-Tir models with enough original finish to know that they are more blue than black...but then it's always dificult judging condition form pictures...all it takes is a wipe with an oily rag and the right light to make even a rough gun look good!...Pah, I may have to have a punt!
    blah blah

Quick bump up for this...

The finish on Lot 601 (the Adgey / JM No2 Demi-tir) is not original...it has been painted black!....which is a shame! ...Expand the picture to it's full size and look at the union between stock and action, you can see some nice cutting-in where the black paint as run onto the stock...I guess the the paint will clean off but the condition of the metalwork underneath the paint is an unknown factor...bugger!
    blah blah

That's a shame Dave but the good thing about paint is it is easy to remove and you may be lucky to find a decent amount of original finish underneath. This happened to me with a Webley Ranger once. I'm presuming the Adgey stamping is on the barrel rather than the air cylinder, as this is where it appears on one of my Demi Tirs. I must admit to having a soft spot for these Adgey marked JM No2s as they shoot so well and we can see where they were originally sold. Adgey too has some interesting history to him. I'll leave this one for you Dave!

John

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Quick bump up for this...

The finish on Lot 601 (the Adgey / JM No2 Demi-tir) is not original...it has been painted black!....which is a shame! ...Expand the picture to it's full size and look at the union between stock and action, you can see some nice cutting-in where the black paint as run onto the stock...I guess the the paint will clean off but the condition of the metalwork underneath the paint is an unknown factor...bugger!
    Hi Dave,

Just goes to show how important it is to attend viewing days when buying from auction whenever possible. In my experience, Auction catalogue pictures always seem to make condition appear better than is actually the case.

You could always make a cheeky bid and see what happens.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That's a shame Dave but the good thing about paint is it is easy to remove and you may be lucky to find a decent amount of original finish underneath. This happened to me with a Webley Ranger once. I'm presuming the Adgey stamping is on the barrel rather than the air cylinder, as this is where it appears on one of my Demi Tirs. I must admit to having a soft spot for these Adgey marked JM No2s as they shoot so well and we can see where they were originally sold. Adgey too has some interesting history to him. I'll leave this one for you Dave!

John
    Hi John,

From the description " slanted air-chamber signed 'MODEL DE LUXE, MANUFACTURED ABROAD SPECIALLY FOR R.J. ADGEY BELFAST' " ...slightly ambiguous but from that you could assume it is the airchamber that is marked for Adgey?...although I agree that it is usually the barrel that carries the 'Model De Lux' and 'Manufactured Abroad', or indeed, 'Made in Belgium' stampings. This one would date from 1920-30...sometime then anyways as it carries the circled "M" marker in the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Dave,

Just goes to show how important it is to attend viewing days when buying from auction whenever possible. In my experience, Auction catalogue pictures always seem to make condition appear better than is actually the case.

You could always make a cheeky bid and see what happens.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Sadly this auction is just too far away for me to attend. I may have a sneaky online bid, not sure yet...but even winning on the low estimate of £80 it would effectively cost around £130-£140 by the time it got to me (assuming 20% commission, vat and posatge/packing, which is around £28 from Holts) ...which seems a bit too much for a painted gun!...I do like these old JM gems but have got to be realistic about these things......pah!
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi John,

From the description " slanted air-chamber signed 'MODEL DE LUXE, MANUFACTURED ABROAD SPECIALLY FOR R.J. ADGEY BELFAST' " ...slightly ambiguous but from that you could assume it is the airchamber that is marked for Adgey?...although I agree that it is usually the barrel that carries the 'Model De Lux' and 'Manufactured Abroad', or indeed, 'Made in Belgium' stampings. This one would date from 1920-30...sometime then anyways as it carries the circled "M" marker in the stock.

Hi Brian,

Sadly this auction is just too far away for me to attend. I may have a sneaky online bid, not sure yet...but even winning on the low estimate of £80 it would effectively cost around £130-£140 by the time it got to me (assuming 20% commission, vat and posatge/packing, which is around £28 from Holts) ...which seems a bit too much for a painted gun!...I do like these old JM gems but have got to be realistic about these things......pah!
    Hi Dave,

I have sometimes got carried away at auctions and still paid too much for something I had decided at the viewing wasn't worth the effort to put right.

Still, hopefully there are still some interesting JM Gems waiting somewhere out there for you to find.

Regards

Brian