Thread: Bsa c2630

Bsa c2630

I have inherited a BSA air rifle with the serial number C2630 just above the trigger. I searched on a Vintage BSA air guns website and found a reference to a series of around 2500 rifles made during the period 1935 - 1939 with a C prefix serial number together with a picture which is similar to my rifle except that the rifle in the picture has a rear sight which mine does not.
    I was wondering if anyone might have more information about my specific rifle.

Yes, not much more to say really, except nice rifle! The "C" series are quite scarce. Made late 1930s. You can buy spares at Chambers Gunmakers or John Kibbs, including reproduction rear sights.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks Garvin.
    Would all of the C series rifles have had rear sights because it doesn't appear that mine ever had one.
    Incidentally, a rather naive question - I suppose it is standard .22?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Is there no dove-tail cut for a sight? Are there any screw holes on or near the tang/pistol grip area that would sugest an aperture sight had ever been fitted?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJB View Post
    Thanks Garvin.
    Would all of the C series rifles have had rear sights because it doesn't appear that mine ever had one.
    Incidentally, a rather naive question - I suppose it is standard .22?
    As far as I know, every single pre-War BSA had a rear sight fitted. As Harry said, you would expect to see dovetails just ahead of the loading port or at very least some evidence of a peep sight having been fitted if the dovetail had been filled in - otherwise how could you shoot the rifle accurately?! Yes, all C prefix rifles were .22 cal.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As far as I know, every single pre-War BSA had a rear sight fitted. As Harry said, you would expect to see dovetails just ahead of the loading port or at very least some evidence of a peep sight having been fitted if the dovetail had been filled in - otherwise how could you shoot the rifle accurately?! Yes, all C prefix rifles were .22 cal.
    Hi All,
    Sorry to jump in. Danny, .22?

I have seen and used to own a pre 1914 BSA with a blanking plate over the rearsight dovetail (in front of the loading tap area). Although I have not seen a between the wars BSA with such a plate, that does not mean none were fitted.

Sounds like a nice rifle.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi All,
    Sorry to jump in. Danny, .22?

I have seen and used to own a pre 1914 BSA with a blanking plate over the rearsight dovetail (in front of the loading tap area). Although I have not seen a between the wars BSA with such a plate, that does not mean none were fitted.

Sounds like a nice rifle.

John
    Oooooooooooops. Thanks John. Mea culpa. The C series is, of course, .177 cal only.

The S and then the T series were the .22 versions.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Chris if you want these fine gentlemen to give you a wealth of information I will gladly put any photos you would like hosting up on this thread for you, if you want me to do so my email is on my profile or if you like I can send it to you.
    It does sound most interesting
    ATB Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil