Thread: CP88 advice

CP88 advice

Just picked up a used umarex CP88. The four inch version in nickel. Absolutely immaculate. The only issue I have (which I knew about before purchase), is that the seller told me it needs a new hammer spring. On receiving it today, that appears correct. Cocks and fires as it should (without any co2 in it). Hammer is very 'lazy'. Before I order the spring from Chambers is there anything else that I should look for as a reason for this. Any reason that the spring should lose its strength?

While I'm ordering parts, anything else I should get to avoid extra postage costs ordering separately?

New to pistols, so any advice appreciated. I've already found the excellent strip and lube guide on UBC, and have no problem taking it all apart.

While I'm in there, anything that benefits from a polish or upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
    AA S400 carbine in .177 Walnut stock, Rowan multi shot conversion, Rowan trigger, Huggett mod. MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44.
    Refurbished 1986 BSA Supersport .22 with MWSS custom silencer.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The indexing pawl and pressure plate are wearable/perishable parts, so it's worth having spares of these. Possibly the trigger return spring also?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The indexing pawl and pressure plate are wearable/perishable parts, so it's worth having spares of these. Possibly the trigger return spring also?
    Thanks for that. Further searching has answered the 'upgrade' query I think. General opinion seems to be that there's not much to be gained, so I think ill just get it back up and running as standard and stick to a clean and lube as well as the spring replacement.
    AA S400 carbine in .177 Walnut stock, Rowan multi shot conversion, Rowan trigger, Huggett mod. MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44.

Check out post 7 here...

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...hp?f=15&t=7265

...to see whether your pressure plate is on the way out.

Check out post 7 here...

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...hp?f=15&t=7265

...to see whether your pressure plate is on the way out.
    Excellent. Thanks for that. Having checked mine as far as I can without dismantling it looks absolutely perfect. In fact the whole gun looks virtually unused apart from that hammer spring. Will order those other parts suggested though.

Good stuff, sounds like it has just been stored for a while with the hammer cocked maybe?
    If you run into any difficulties when reassembling then we're all here to help - watch out for the ball bearings in the safety and slide release, and don't disengage the trigger return spring unless you have to because it's a bit of a bugger to get back in

Finally found time to strip the gun last night, following the UBC guide. All looked good and clean inside. Lubricated as directed, and took a look at the hammer spring. Can't imagine how it got so bad, but spring was completely stretched, but easy enough job to replace. All went back together fine, and seemed to be working well.

However as I was cycling the trigger, and before I had refitted the safety, a bit fell off!

Took it all apart again, and it's the upright part of the trigger bar, which has just fractured about 15mm down. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the gun working. I assume its something to do with the safety as when I put the safety on now I'm sure that before it broke that the hammer wouldn't cycle when on safe, but that might be my recollection that's wrong as I've not had the gun for long. Perhaps someone could confirm its purpose.

Either way it needs to be replaced. Looking on Chambers they say to call them to discuss as the design changed at some point, so I'll give them a call when they open, though perhaps someone on here could also tell me what I need.

Need to place an order anyway as when I took it apart I was really careful to take it all apart and avoid losing detent balls and springs. Unfortunately a previous owner hadn't been so careful and the slide catch had no ball in it, and the spring is damaged as it has been doing the job of the ball and is kinked over at the end. Works fine, but I'd rather it was back together as intended.

Thanks in advance.

And following on from that, if anyone can detail the mods required to fit the newer trigger bar to an older pistol I'd be grateful. Can't find any mention of the detail of what you need to do on the web.

I know nothing about the trigger bar unfortunately, but if you let me know the size of the bearing for the slide catch I will have a rummage around at work for you. The hammer should cycle when on safe BTW.

Angry

I know nothing about the trigger bar unfortunately, but if you let me know the size of the bearing for the slide catch I will have a rummage around at work for you. The hammer should cycle when on safe BTW.
    Very kind of you, but I've already added it to the order from chambers. Very good service from them incidentally as I emailed their contact us option and got an answer within 5 minutes. Apparently the difference is a leg which is longer on the newer ones. Apparently it's obvious what to modify when you compare them. Also told me not to assume mine was the older version as they many changed years ago.

Incidentally, no idea why that unhappy smiley appeared in my post. Has done that a few times ??

Does anyone know what the upper leg of the trigger arm actually does. I've ordered one anyway but with the old one fitted, with the upper leg broken off everything is still working fine (not actually fired a pellet through it since owning mind). Is the upper leg purely a locating tab to hold it in place in the frame? In which case the remaining stub seems to be doing the job regardless.