Thread: tr robb set back trigger for hw 77

tr robb set back trigger for hw 77

hi just wondering if any one has used a tr robb set back trigger .

Re

Hi mate I bought one for my hw98 being a tight Yorkshire man the price was good, think there £13,he had them made in steel as people were braking std triggers (god knows how) very well CAD machined even throw in some brass washers so you can stop side float,that said its steel so needs something to stop it rusting,I notice that when if fitted it the trigger was gawnchy so I polished it as the 1 n 2nd stages are all steel as the std trigger has hard rollpins fitted, then I hot blued it and it now looks n feels better than the std one and u get a new grub screw that replaces the ally screw for the trigger weight, looks better now,so if you want to tune it you can or just fit it it's up to you.

i brought one of these very nicely finished have not set up the trigger yet as gun still in bits but it feels lovely
    http://www.airmastersaccessories.co....ory_s/1516.htm

Hotversion kindly told me about these some time ago.

I didn't get one as I was worried that they didn't have the hardened rollers at the top.

Will that make any difference? Can you polish to how you want those nipples and then harden the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Hotversion kindly told me about these some time ago.

I didn't get one as I was worried that they didn't have the hardened rollers at the top.

Will that make any difference? Can you polish to how you want those nipples and then harden the trigger?
    Im surprised they're not hardened. But, I have had a couple of bottom sears end up with two notches where the hardened rollers have worn the sear with use.... Depending on how the rollers are fitted you could perhaps heat and drop in some case hardening compound. But, if you don't have any CH compound, buy the time you bought this, you'd be better off with a Rowan.... Looking at Steve Popes trigger blades, the two grub screws just look like steel units that have been polished so maybe you'll be OK?

Not actually tried a TR Rob one so can't give any real world answer though

Thankyou

Have you read about those 'wear dimples' on the Weihrauch site and read the comments by Paul James? I've just read through that excellent 8 page thread by the guy Chris from Macc that weirdly just ended in May 2013. Those dimples are mentioned in that thread too.

I'll go look at the V Mach triggers and these grubs.

Have you read this thread about the Rekord trigger?

Divots

It mentions about putting an Allen key through that small hole in the top when testing the trigger outside the gun. It says if you don't do this to limit the top lever then you will get dimples where the two hard rollers on top of the blade hammer into #3 lever.

Paul James said he saw these dimples on new guns so maybe it comes from testing the triggers outside of the guns?

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Have you read this thread about the Rekord trigger?

Divots

It mentions about putting an Allen key through that small hole in the top when testing the trigger outside the gun. It says if you don't do this to limit the top lever then you will get dimples where the two hard rollers on top of the blade hammer into #3 lever.

Paul James said he saw these dimples on new guns so maybe it comes from testing the triggers outside of the guns?
    Nice one, many thanks! Not read that but had started doing as mentioned recently. I'd not put two and two together. It makes sense. I have to admit to being lazy and not always dropping something in that hole, and can see a HW worker doing the same. I will however start making sure I do from now on

Thanks mate

That's right Bozzer, I have seen these wear marks, dimples, on brand new units. Also before this I had also used a stone and sanding paper to polish them out. So after seeing them on new units I stopped bothering with the polishing, now when tuning the Rekord I just spend time polishing the sears.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Hi Paul

Thanks for posting matey.

Yes I read your excellent thread on the Weihrauch owners site showing how you strip and polish the sears.

I have 2 77s. One was an original Venom job and came with a brass set back perfectly straight trigger blade ( I know you don't like brass ). It breaks beautifully so I'm presuming Venom must have polished the sears on that. I'm going to use that action in a Wilson stock for FT.

My 2nd 77 is with Keith Mepham at the moment having a Bigtoe style rear guide mod done. When that comes back I'm going to follow your guide and polish the sears. I want to put a set back trigger blade in that one ( I'm a dwarf with short stubby hands/fingers ). I'd love a straight one like on the Venom one but the closest I can see is the straightish ones from Rowan. Me being a tight s0d from Stoke I spotted these 13 quid ones from T R Robb and wondered if they could be made ok by polishing those two nipples on the top and hardening them. They don't use rollers like the originals or Rowan. This action will go in a home made ( well home finished ) thumbhole for HFT.

I read that 8 page thread by that guy from Macclesfield who was fitting small roller bearings in the blades and then he started making his own compression tube and piston ... then he just disappeared in May.

Hope your pipes are behaving fella.

Col