Thread: help and advice

help and advice

hi.
    iam new to bell/target shooting at the tender age of 53, plus a wheelchair user. I live in West Bromwich what i am after is a 177 and i think its a max of 7 per second?? so could anyone point me in the right direction as i can only seem to find high powered ones. from reading the forum i know people on here know their stuff i don't have much cash to play with. be nice to have a rifle i can shoot at home in the garage. plus learn how to clean and maintain it.

many thanks jonj0e......

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Advice

The choice of target air rifles is very large, suggest a visit to City Air Guns in Solihul would give you a good idea of what there is and how much.
    Good luck
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

That'll be 7ftlbs muzzle energy, as anymore than this is just a waste.

Higher energies can also prematurely wear out/damage the target.

Two very popular rifles are the Walther LGR and the Feinwerkbau 300S.

These are, respectively, a side lever SSP and a side lever springer.

Out of the two the 300S is by far the easiest to cock, and would probably suit a wheel chair user better.

There are also a variety of Originals, the Model 66 is a popular break barrel, the Model 75 a popular side lever.

There are, of course, more modern versions out there, but I feel it is nice to stick with the "classics" for bell target shooting.

Good luck getting sorted.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Last edited by p.m.h; 30-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by p.m.h View Post
    That'll be 7ftlbs muzzle energy, as anymore than this is just a waste.

Higher energies can also prematurely wear out/damage the target.

Two very popular rifles are the Walther LGR and the Feinwerkbau 300S.

These are, respectively, a side lever SSP and a side lever springer.

Out of the two the 300S is by far the easiest to cock, and would probably shoot a wheel chair user better.

There are also a variety of Originals, the Model 66 is a popular break barrel, the Model 75 a popular side lever.

There are, of course, more modern versions out there, but I feel it is nice to stick with the "classics" for bell target shooting.

Good luck getting sorted.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I'm sure Phil didn't mean it

Well spotted!

My "smart" spell checker isn't as smart as it would have us believe and has a nasty habit of changing words.

It should have actually said "suit" and the post had been corrected as such.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Last edited by p.m.h; 30-10-2013 at 06:23 PM.

thank you Robin and phil for the information , and i do want to stay true to bell shooting. i will look at the rifles u both mention and visit the shop .

and phil if u could see our way clear to giving me 50meters head start before u try shooting me. i now have vision of phils garage full of wheel chairs
    and scooters. lol thank you for giving me a laugh. mind am now going to ask for wing mirrors fitted to my chair

thanks jonj0e....

My spell checker is legendary for substituting words, much to the amusement of others!

Bob (zooma) is always picking up quality rifles suitable for bell target, so it may be worth giving him a quick pm to see what he has.

They quite often come up in the for sale section too.

Kind regards,

Phil

thank you phil will check the leads out. my spell checker tends to have a thing for peoples names and its the time i don't read it through that it dose it.
    so what kind of shooting do u do? and thanks for taking the time to post
    jonj0e...

I started out plinking in the cellar and, as a treat, I was occasionally allowed to wander around my grandad's allotment, which was around 1-2 acres.

Again, this was just general plinking.

In the 1980s I joined Rochdale Air Weapons Club, where I became club secretary and got the club involved in field target competitions.

This is an area I did quite enjoy and would love to have a go again, but can't really be bothered travelling very far these days.

After we lost our shooting place I have up for some considerable time. However, In around 2003/2004 I got the bug again and stayed the North Manchester Airgun Club, which started to pick up momentum. Not long after setting the club up I ended up in hospital. I did ask another member to run the page whilst I was away, but they neglected to do so, and the members never came back.

I then have up again until around 2010 when, on a whim, I picked up a copy of Airgun World and saw an article on the UBC, which I promptly joined and started some of the postal comps.

This got me interested in shooting again, but I did miss the interaction with fellow shooters. Reading through the ABBS one day I noticed the RMTC, which was just up the road from me, so promptly presented myself.

I now shoot 10m target pistol, 6 yard target pistol , and 6 yard bell target.

I also have a collection of 35, or so, airguns as I do find them fascinating.

I also run the Classic Air Pistol Association forum, sorry, couldn't help the plug www.classicapa.com

Sorry for the very long answer, but I do find it of interest how a shooters "career" grows.

Kind regards,

Phil

thanks Phil no it was not too long its nice to learn about people who have the same hobby. sorry its taken so long to reply, but i have been ill what with man flu etc, in fact its back to hospital again tomorrow for results of my ct scan. i went to the shooting club last night,it was good to get out plus get chance too shoot again

. the club i am a member of is Waltons warriors in great Barr we shoot 6 meter bell target. The clubs full of friendly people, i don't have a rifle has yet , i have shot with a Feinwerkbau 300 i enjoyed that but last night i used a 700 and loved it, it was just the right weight the 300 was on the heavy side for me i shoot in my chair and upper body is not that strong, using the 700 out of the 3 shots i took i managed 2 ring the bell win a prize. the 700 is out of my price range but as it stands its my dream gun. i now have to find rifle in my price range that i can practice with and enjoy it

i have so far watched one match. which i enjoyed just watching. if i don't feel well enough too shoot i know i can visit the club and enjoy the banter ect , its my one night out, i am sure the wife is glad of the peace
    jonj0e.......