Thread: Baikal MP-512M 5.5mm

Egonieser Guest

Baikal MP-512M 5.5mm

Hello everyone!

2 days ago i bought a Baikal MP-512m 5.5 milimetre, .22 cal Air Gun.
    It's 1.3m long, weights 2.7 kg, Made in Russia, Price 89 Eur (67 LS our currency)

I don't know much about other guns, but i can say, this is one of the best i've ever tried. Due to 12j firepower and the heavy 5.5mm pellets, can do accurate hits in range of 50m without much effort.

I've heard rumors that Baikal Rifles nearly never break and lifetime is measured over 10 years.

* In standart stock comes Rifle + Extra spring
    * Sniper Scope slot

Usually 5.5mm rifles are quite inaccurate in distance due to the heaviness of the pellets, but i was surprised that this one is different.

My opinion: This is a very good rifle with high qualities and cheap price. Good reccomendations from other people i know aswell.

P.S. Since i'm new at this forum, i don't know much about the ethics here, but forgive me about that.

Hi EG,welcome to the board,I don't know if we've any other Latvian members,
    but I would guess you may be unique.I hope you enjoy your Baikal,my son has the IZH-61,and it is very well made for the price and certainly a lot of fun.Don't worry about your etiquette,it seems fine to me,and your English is pretty good too.
    Cheers mate

And I thought I'm the only Latvian on this forum.
    What can I say russians know how to make vodka and guns - congrats on your find.

Egonieser, any ideas what is 12jouls in ft/lbs - just wondering is the limit for air rifles the same as in England?

12 Joules = 8.85ftp

(joules x .737562 = ft-lbs)

Chris

Thanks Chris!

So if that is the legal limit in LV it is well less than in England always thought it would be other way around

Hi, I have just invested the princely sum of £45 on an old .177 MP512. It has seen better days, has no front sight and is very heavy to cock. Tried it at the club last night and was getting around 5.7 ftlb.
    It seemed to dislike RWS Superdomes, but was better with the Geckos I was using to set up the scope, got some reasonable groups at 10m. I need to do a stripdown to lube the spring and fettle the heavy trigger, I will use some R10s when I get to the final fine tuning of the scope.
    Having been purely a pistol shooter, this rifle lark is a whole new thing for me, had a go at smallbore and some pcp rifles, but it didn't appeal as much as the challenge of 10m precision pistol. This sptinger is a very different beast though, can't wait to have another go with it!

I just love Russian guns, my pistol is an IZH-46m and is built like a brick out-house! I even have a Russian friend at the shooting club....

Cheers, Mark.