Thread: Noise

Noise

Hello. Could anyone guide me to a list of the amount of noise that match air rifles make. I am looking to upgrade from a 300s but to something very quiet so I don't upset to many people when I practice mainly at home.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Noise

I'm unaware of any study done of air gun noise, but from the British championships at Bisley it is quite noticeable that the occasional and now rare 300S that turns up at the meeting amongst the plethora of PCP's is quite a lot quieter. I don't think there is any difference between the makes, they are all at around the same power so the same air discharge, I'd choose by what you prefer. Rifles are definately quieter than pistols and most modern PCP's have a short barrel a little longer than a pistol barrel and the length is made up with a tube which then deadens the sound.
    The most noise at home is from the backstop, the best advice I can give is to get the most modern PCP that your like, you will find it a big step from your 300S.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The most noise at home is from the backstop,
    This. Get your pellet catcher quiet (carpet, newspaper, plumber's mait) and hardly anyone will ever notice you're shooting
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

I have good experience of the 300s and the LGR, and would consider them both to be quiet rifles.

That said, it is surprising how a quiet sound at a club turns out to be quite loud at home.

As such, it may be wise to borrow a rifle and take a few shots at home to see if it is within acceptable limits.

There are several decibel meter apps available for smart phones, which give indicative levels, but I am not sure what this would tell you unless you have already set a level which is acceptable.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Thanks for your replies folks. I had a good listen at the shooting hall and came to the following conclusions. Excluding the spring powered rifles the next quietest were the single stroke air rifles being the FWB 601 and Anschultz super air and the noisy pcp rifles being FWB 700 and Anschultz being next but the loudest by far was the Steyr 110. I am surprised that there isn't a decibel rating like most items are rated by now, maybe its something that shooters don't worry about but I feel the less noise the better for all.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Guns make noise,why are you worrying about this
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

300s

I have the 300s and it's quiet, most of the noise on mine comes from cocking it, the ratchet is as loud as it gets as said earlier the best coarse of action is to sort out your back stop.

As we all know, airguns can be surprisingly more noisy than expected dependant upon where they are shot.

I suppose the primary reason for reducing noise is so as not to annoy neighbours, or other family members if shooting indoors.

I sometimes shoot out of the garage, down the garden, and I do have to use my ear defenders when using certain guns, especially CO2 pistols.

I find that in the confines of a brick garage, the distinctive "crack" given off by these guns does hurt the ears after just a few shots.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<