Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC Daystate Mk3 - which one?

JonD Guest

FAC Daystate Mk3 - which one?

Hi all, I have spent several hours reading these forums and have been amazed at the level of knowledge, that said I have some unanswered questions that I would like your thoughts on.
    Im looking for a rifle primarily for hunting, at 12ft lb i've always been a 177 man but as I will get a FAC rifle this time I think it will be 22 ( a sensible choice?)
    After a lot of thought i'm pretty sure that I will buy a MK3, I want a top of the range thumbhole stock but im not sure which model to go for and whether my scope (AgS swat,56mm) will fit.
    Should i get the Sport version or the RT? (bearing in mind I want thumbhole stock & FAC power, this article suggests the RT is not an option, and the sport is the one to go for
    http://www.daystate.co.uk/images/rev...PORT/index.htm
    Whats the best silencer?
    My first pcp, so what charging gear should i get, some threads suggest 300 bar but to be careful -is that ok?
    If i understand correctly,we are upto model MK3c, assuming this is the best so far how can I tell that im buying the latest model?
    Will this rifle be supported and remain viable for future years? I know BAR are offerring a 5 year warranty but my main air rifle (airsporter -s) is 20 years old!
    grateful for any thoughts
    Last edited by JonD; 22-05-2005 at 11:43 PM.

If you are going FAC go for the Sport with the CDT technology and definitely in .22" you won't regret it.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

IMHO... you cant go wrong with a Rapid if you are going FAC.
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

For an FAC Mk3 you'll want .22 and the sporter. .22 becomes more practical trajectory wise in FAC rifles, and .177 hits the problem of the sound barrier at a lower ME limiting efficacy if you want to keep the noise levels down. The sporter is not limited by the mechanics of a regulator and really comes into its own at FAC levels; the lean charge technology means you quite literally get 'more bang for your buck' than with other more conventional systems.

Don't forget that when you order the rifle (whichever version of the Mk3 you decide to go for) you can always ask to forgo the sporter stock and ask for an RT equivalent stock as an upgrade - it may take a short while longer to get your rifle but why settle for something you're not entirely happy with and then wish you'd held on for the upgrade?

Just my thoughts,

David

cor blimey - busy tonight ain't it?

JonD Guest

Smile

Thanks for the responses guys, Rob I hear what you are saying but I think the Mk3 in 22 fac should still get around 40+ from a charge, which i think compares favourably (?), i can vary this too with the power options. Also i cant get my head around the look of big bottles on guns so want to avoid that look if its not too much of a compromise.
    So is it right that the RT is not suitable for FAC power and I should go for the Sporter version? Im thinking that a maximum power level of 28 ft lb is about right? The trajectory will then be comparable to my 177 out to 55 yards.
    Another question is there a gauge on the mk3, how do I know whats left in it /when to charge? I read somewhere a new version is due shortly with big changes?
    Appreciate more comments on any of the questions i have asked
    Last edited by JonD; 23-05-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Arrow

The Daystate is a fantastic rifle but you should certainly look at the Rapid 2 or MFR.

Quote Originally Posted by JonD
    Thanks for the responses guys, Rob I hear what you are saying but I think the Mk3 in 22 fac should still get around 40+ from a charge, which i think compares favourably (?), i can vary this too with the power options. Also i cant get my head around the look of big bottles on guns so want to avoid that look if its not too much of a compromise.
    So is it right that the RT is not suitable for FAC power and I should go for the Sporter version? Im thinking that a maximum power level of 28 ft lb is about right? The trajectory will then be comparable to my 177 out to 55 yards.
    Another question is there a gauge on the mk3, how do I know whats left in it /when to charge? I read somewhere a new version is due shortly with big changes?
    Appreciate more comments on any of the questions i have asked

I did a full test on mine, the result was 60 consistant shots at 23ft lbs.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

JonD Guest
    Actually i now see your point on shot capacity http://www.theoben.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=11 seems like the rapid 2 & Mfr will do 90 and 60 .22 shots at around 29 ftlb while the mk3 will only do 40.
    its such a big bottle though, aesthetically I much prefer the mk3 but certainly worth considering the rapids, as long as the finish is good

The Mk3 Sport will typically produce about 50 shots at 30FPE, Daystate are very cautious about overstating shot capacity and because it can vary from gun to gun, they only guarantee 40 shots although I hear that they might increase this to 45 in the near future. The gun is very frugal on air and manages to get its 50 shot capacity out of only a 168cc reservoir.

The Sport does not have a pressure gauge, but uses an electronic shot reminder instead; it has all the features that the 12FPE RT and Sport including the added benefit of power adjustment, which really is most useful with an FAC gun.

Lean charge gives the gun an extremely fast lock time even faster that the 12FPE versions that mechanical actions cannot compete with. The muzzle crack can be very effectively moderated as there is less blast to be attenuated, the bolt action is very smooth with no action to cock, with a tried and tested magazine and single shot tray loading option.

With no regulator to service and very few moving parts in the action there is little to wear out. The batteries can be cycled up to a 1000 times and will produce about 7000 shots per charge. The gun is built for longevity and trouble free service.

The Rapid is a fine gun and has deservedly got a reputation of being one of the best FAC guns available. I believe that lean charge with the kind of efficiencies it produces now make it possible for normal reservoir cylinder configuration guns to compete with the larger capacity of bottle guns. The smaller capacity Rapids have now got real competition with the FAC Sport.

As mentioned before, it sounds as if you are looking for a Sport with a RT stock, I am sure that Daystate can accommodate you.

David

Gary C Guest
    If you need > 50 shots in a hunting session you have a massive number of Rabbits or it's time to consider another sport.

Mk3 for me every time. Trigger on the Rapid is pants in comparison and Daystate Customer service is peerless. I would wager that the MK3 is quieter too.

Why on earth don't Daystate produce an electronic rifle with a buddy bottle? It would end this argument conclusively in favour of the Daystate.

Alternatively, why doesn't David Snook - as an independent operator, offer a kind of "retro-snook" on a Rapid to give it the electric trigger, valve, lean charge and power adjustment of a mk3? If you can have "Taylored" Air Arms, why not a "Snooked" Rapid?

Lionel

Lionel

I can say the Daystate have considered putting lean charge on other guns, but there are no plans as yet.

With regards to "retro-snook" guns (I quite like that term!) please remember I am only a simple electronic engineer and do not have the resources to comprehensively modify guns myself.

Maybe if other manufacturers were interested in cross-licensing CDT lean charge technology from Daystate, maybe an arrangement could be made.

David

digitaldwarf is offline A big boy did it and he ran away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    I would wager that the MK3 is quieter too.
    with the optional airstream II silencer fitted i would like to "not" hear the competition
    inthe hft contest at Dechmont the only noise from my mk3s was the pellet in the air and hitting the target
    ps this was not my observation but my shooting partners
    DONT BEAM ME UP SCOTTY I'M HAVING A CR__.__..._......

JonD Guest
    Yes you are right of course it would be very unusual/unprecedented to need more than 50 shots - that could be overkill, pun intended (sorry) Same with the shot capacity of the battery - 7million is plenty but what if the sophisticated electronics (or part of them) die in 10 - 15 years time, do daystate still support rifles of that age? possibly its unrealistic to expect it, but just cant imagine it would be solved by a normal gunsmith without that Daystate support, then again who knows by then.
    Certainly sounds like it should be very quiet which will be a welcome change from the old springer.
    On the gauge point, remembering that pcp is new to me, would i then need to fill the rifle and get a reading of the presssure in the rifle from the gauge on the tank? or is the gauge on the tank measuring the pressure in the tank? Lame question i know. See that's what happens to you if you dont buy a new rifle often enough