Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MARCH-F 3-24x44 FFP Mil-dot FML-1

No doubt that the March brand is near the top of the tree for performance. However, they are considerably more expensive than both the Lightstream and Sightron.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Agreed Amac, the MARCH scopes are a lot more expensive than the Sightron's - a comparable specification SIII is about 1/2 the cost and it provides about 80% of the performance but not all the attributes.

Make no mistake - my Sightron is a definite keeper but I wanted to step up to see the delta. It's definitely there, but like most high end things not a linear return of performance to cost.

They are about the same money as Nightforce, some of the S&B, Zeiss and Swaro range with equally good, in some cases better glass but much better specifications for air-rifle and rimmy.

Best value overall is probably the Sightron. Best performance overall - the MARCH.

As the old saying goes - "pays your money, makes your choice"
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

march

Really wanted one but the wait put me of went s n b both amazing

A couple of my shooting friends are currently considering a March. At present they use Mk4 Leupolds for their target shooting, and seem reticent to make the jump to the March. If I could afford one I would have one tomorrow, but will have to rough it out with my Sightron for a while yet!

Bye the way Russ, I forgot to comment on how much I enjoyed reading your thoughtful and helpful review, so well done!

I am also wondering why the Leupold brand appears to have traveled under your radar as they are also a premium quality optic.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Not quite

Quote Originally Posted by Russ6357 View Post
    Here is my first blush review of my recently purchased MARCH-F 3-24x44 FFP Mil-dot FML-1.

It's chuffin brilliant!

It's not perfect but for top end air-rifle/rimmy glass it's as close as I have found.

Maybe a few more details than that then? OK... since you asked so nicely,

I put it on my legal-limit Airwolf that's a .177 gun that I use to hunt to from 20-45 yards and plink out to 80. Once I've sorted my FAC Wolf in .22 it will go on that.

So first up I really like op quality glass and have been looking for something that I can put on my Airwolf that was at least one step up from the very excellent Lightstream I had on it. I will therefore be comparing the MARCH with the Lightstream and the Sightron SIII 10x42 I have on my .22 Specter.

I cross shopped:

Sightron - but the current offerings they have that focus down to 10 yards include my 10x42 and a 10-50x60, a bit hefty for hunting
    MARCH - all their scopes will PX down to 10 yards, effectively a bit less in some circumstances
    Nightforce - the benchrest and NXS ranges, but again PX issues and these things must have plutonium in them...they are HEAVY!

...and all the usual suspects from Germany, the vast majority of which wont PX down below 30 yards without modification. Some aren't springer rated.

I looked at illuminated reticules but frankly realized I rarely use one so decided to save myself £500 and went for the scope without.

It will come as no surprise that the image quality is superior to my other air-rifle scopes:

Resolution of image, the ability to pick out details: during normal daylight hours the MARCH has much better clarity at 10x than the Lightstream and somewhat better than the Sightron - let us remember that the Sightron is fixed power. As things get dull and available light drops the MARCH pulls further ahead of both other scopes. When zooming up I think that the MARCH maintains its image quality through to 20x whereas the Lightstream noticeably looses a bit more detail from 10-14x. The MARCH starts to loose some resolution from 20-24x in duller conditions.

I also compared the MARCH to my Zeiss 2.5-10x50 (which will only focus down to 30 or so yards) and it's at least it's match throughout the same magnification range in all the conditions I mentioned. The MARCH is as good at resolving detail at 16x as the Zeiss is at 10x in all but the duskiest of lighting.

Brightness: In summary the brightness performance profile pretty much followed the above results. I will add the following. When I first bought the Lightstream it seemed a bright scope but now I compare it to higher end glass (it's still a great scope!) I recognize that it's brightness is almost 'pushed' - like it's brighter but washing out the colors and with a whiteness to it. The Sightron 10x44 isn't as sharp a brightness but has more real color presentation than the Lightstream whilst the MARCH has the best combination of both scopes best attributes, genuine color presentation, good quality light transmission and a brighter image but without the pushed white/washed out effect. To my eyes this is a more obvious advantage. The colors are not as 'strong' as I feel they are in the Zeiss but I think they are more natural. It's a bit like comparing a TV with a Neutral and a Cinema setting for it's image. Cinema appears more dynamic as it's false in it's representations of greens, reds or whatever which looks fine for a while but gets tiring on the eyes. Same thing here.

Mechanics: Smooth. The clicks are very good and crisp, perhaps not quite as deliberate as those on the Sightron but certainly not mushy. Side focus zoom is crisp albeit a little stiff given its brand new! Zoom is precise and the overall feel of the scope is quality, the same as the Sightron but much better than the Lighstream. It passed the box test with ease.

Air-rifle/rimmy use: I personally am a FFP proponent, I like mill dots, I prefer a reticule that offers 1/2 mill-dot aiming points and I personally shoot better with a central dot rather than a cross hair. Thusly the MARCH FML-1 scope is the best of all worlds for me. Also the reticule is the deepest black and super...super sharp, I would note that it's a crisper reticule than either of the other scopes. It's also quite light in mass and not huge to mount. The magnification range if really very useful 3-24 in one scope pretty much covers up close and way out there! Plus I will focus down to 10 yards.

VFM: No contest under £750 it's the Sightron. Easy as. As long as you are happy with a fixed power 10x scope then this is the clear winner in the bang for the pound high-ish end glass (well mid-range really). The Lightstream is a great scope and offers great performance a definite notch above the usual fair in the £100-250 price range but it looses out to my eyes to the Sightron. However I wanted the optics at least the level of the Sightron fixed power but with more flexibility and here the MARCH really pulls ahead. Like most things the laws of diminishing returns comes into optics much like it does many other things. A Ferrari is 5x the cost of a Boxster but its performance profile is nothing like 5x (desirability...well that's another story).

To my eyes for air-rifle and rimmy use, where one wants top quality glass that meets our specific needs, MARCH is the very best choice. At least as good as my Zeiss, ahead of the Nghtforce Benchrest I pondered (and a ton lighter) and more usable for our needs than the rest of the German glass. If this had a German badge on it I am pretty sure it would be at least £500 more. As it is it's £1,8xx of scope, which is about what I have in the rifle once my Gary Cane stock is put on it. Yes - that is a large wedge of cash. It's a lot of scope.

What I like is that there is a large range of scopes that is constantly evolving. They have some fabulous stuff for FT' shooters but deep pockets are required - that said the one I looked at was at least the match of the S&B, in fact I'd say better.

I'll leave with one final thought. I change my scopes a lot less often than I have changed by rifles because I search out the best I can, SO FAR this is the best for air-rifle/rimmy use I have found. It's not perfect - I'd like the exact same spec with 56 mil objective and a slightly larger center dot. THEN it would be perfect

I hope this is of some use. Please do feel free to ask questions. I will update this once it's been used in the field properly.
    Not quite your 56mm objective but close (post #12)

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....pe-Flip-Covers

I have to agree wholeheartidly with your commnets as to these being close to the ultimate allround scopes (at least of the ones i have experience of - plenty to try yet ) I have the 2.5-25x and love its size, clarity ant crispness of ret, but they do spoil you, i have been using mine exclusively for months, tried a couple of my other scopes today (Nikko and Leupold) and in comparison they are very dissapointing - then for over twice the price you would expect that.

I use mine for HFT and have found I can get a very acceptable DOF at 12x maybe even as high as 14x, this does however mess with my "Mil Dot head" so I have a 3-24x FFP coming in January
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Hi
    What is the ret size like compared to the lightstream at 12 mag.
    Cheers

Is it tue that they only have a 5 year guarantee?
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

The word is

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I have been told the 5 year thing is apparently Japanese law, could be why you see so many cameras with 5 years.

March UK have said they will support a lifetime guarentee (as have Kelby, US and March Australia claimed the same) like most other top end scopes, i have no reason to disbelieve this, but the bottom line is you dont actually get a warranty card that states that

On a happier note I have one of these due to land with me next week
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Officially 'yes' but I think you will find March UK go beyond that?

For ref. S&B only have 2 years, also how many does your car have? (A car being an item most folks use every day, their families safety and getting go their job depending on etc.).

Terry