Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 yard pistol... Alecto or Compact?

6 yard pistol... Alecto or Compact?

Hey experts...

I'm looking at a decently accurate pistol for target shooting over 6 yards.

The Gamo Compact looks a good entry level pistol, but is the Webley Alecto as accurate and as suited to target shooting (sighting-wise)?

I like the idea that a bit more power is available if required for longer range plinkage.

Any advice appreciated.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The Alecto is as accurate as an accurate thing, as powerful as you like on 3 pumps, and has an excellent set of irons IMO. Newer ones come with a barrel threaded for silencer too. I think it would make an excellent pistol for HFT.
    Handling is a tricky one, I have not used a Compact so have no comparison, but IMO the Alecto is better shot with two hands.

Ideally you should have a handle of both in a gunshop to see what you think.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The Alecto is as accurate as an accurate thing, as powerful as you like on 3 pumps, and has an excellent set of irons IMO. Newer ones come with a barrel threaded for silencer too. I think it would make an excellent pistol for HFT.
    Handling is a tricky one, I have not used a Compact so have no comparison, but IMO the Alecto is better shot with two hands.

Ideally you should have a handle of both in a gunshop to see what you think.
    Thanks bud - ideally it would be just right handed use.

I won't be in Edinburgh for a while to get a 1st hand look.

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Thanks bud - ideally it would be just right handed use.

I won't be in Edinburgh for a while to get a 1st hand look.
    Can't comment on the Alectro, as I've not tried one.

Compact - All depends how important the walnut anatomical grip is to you mate.

To me, the Compact is a good starter pistol, but limited by it's plasticky sights and cheapo trigger.

Years ago, when the Compact cost £120 new / £80 2nd hand, I found it was good for the money as my beginner match pistol. Bought it cheap, and soon sold it cheap - to move on to FWB65, FAS 604, FWB 80, Airmatch 600 etc... those 'proper' match pistols were a great improvement in the trigger and sights department.

If you want the grip and match sights and a match trigger - There was a FAS 604 for sale on here for around £180. last week.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Compact has more than enough poke for target work at 6 yds or 10m.
    The grip is superb for the price and the trigger can upgraded at no cost with a little judicious fettling to a good standard.
    Can't really comment on the Alecto - but from Crosmans I've owned I do know that multi-pumping soon loses its appeal and is not conducive to accurate shooting when done in any quantity

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Compact has more than enough poke for target work at 6 yds or 10m.
    The grip is superb for the price and the trigger can upgraded at no cost with a little judicious fettling to a good standard.
    Can't really comment on the Alecto - but from Crosmans I've owned I do know that multi-pumping soon loses its appeal and is not conducive to accurate shooting when done in any quantity
    Is the Alecto not around the same ft lbs on a single pump as the Compact? Around 2.3ft lbs from what I've read.

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Hiya, plus one for the Alecto. I bought one off here only yesterday. Went shooting with it this morning. What a piece of kit!

It's a BIG gun, but very well balanced. Mine is fitted with a silencer. The guy I bought it from, has a Brother who is also selling his on here. You could do a lot worse!

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....6-WebleyAlecto

Les
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    Hiya, plus one for the Alecto. I bought one off here only yesterday. Went shooting with it this morning. What a piece of kit!

It's a BIG gun, but very well balanced. Mine is fitted with a silencer. The guy I bought it from, has a Brother who is also selling his on here. You could do a lot worse!

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....6-WebleyAlecto

Les
    Cheers mate, although I'd probably buy new unless something local came up.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Is the Alecto not around the same ft lbs on a single pump as the Compact? Around 2.3ft lbs from what I've read.
    Pretty much You don't have to pump it more than once, but it's nice to have the option there...
    The alecto has quite a long top receiver/lever and it gives good leverage compared to, say, a HW40. You can plink with it on one pump all day long. It's nice to be able to give something a good hammering when you want to though, and most will easily do 5.5 ft/lb on 3 pumps.

From what I recall of my last chrono session (a while back) it was about 2.5 - 2.75 on one pump, 4 on two pumps, and 5.5 on three pumps - and you will hear the letoff valve go off at that point. Apparently export versions with longer barrels can make 8/9 ft/lbs.
    Good deals with these members

I've been using my Alecto for 6yd target shooting (postal comp.) with one pump it is just fine. It is a lot lighter than my FWB 65 and allows me to hold on target longer before the shakes start. The trgger is vert good and can be easily adjusted sliding it forward and backwards on a rail and the blade can be rotated. Seems like a big gun but the grip is ergonmic and suits my little hands of with the trigger adjusted. Need to try out different pellets - mine seems to like bisley practice wad cutters. Sights are fine and it does not make too much noise and appears to be robust.
    I like it, and it comes in a great case too.

George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    I've been using my Alecto for 6yd target shooting (postal comp.) with one pump it is just fine. It is a lot lighter than my FWB 65 and allows me to hold on target longer before the shakes start. The trgger is vert good and can be easily adjusted sliding it forward and backwards on a rail and the blade can be rotated. Seems like a big gun but the grip is ergonmic and suits my little hands of with the trigger adjusted. Need to try out different pellets - mine seems to like bisley practice wad cutters. Sights are fine and it does not make too much noise and appears to be robust.
    I like it, and it comes in a great case too.

George
    Having used both, you will get a bit more out of the Compact (in 6 and 10mtr target terms only) mainly due to the adjustable anatomical grip and marginally better trigger control due to this adjustment. The grip on the Compact also affords the more correct straight wrist hold demanded by the sport.
    Surprisingly enough ive edged both with a HW75. The Trigger is better and the heft works better for me in killing all the muzzle flip, also a perfect sight picture for me......but this is personal feel where others might feel different.
    For 20yd sport shooting the Alecto is going take over due to velocity potential, regardless of any hold/heft adv.

The Gamo Compact would win hands down for the type of target shooting you require,
    Steve

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by steve prime View Post
    The Gamo Compact would win hands down for the type of target shooting you require,
    Steve
    I agree with that comment, although I own more expensive pistols I achieve the same levels with the Compact.

clarky
    Thanks for the insight on the compact I will have to get hold of one and give it a try.

Best cheers
    george

So from what I gather... The Compact is a better entry level TARGET pistol, but the Alecto offers a bit more power but with less emphasis on the target side.

Hmm... Still stumped