Thread: 6 yard pistol... Alecto or Compact?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6 yard pistol... Alecto or Compact?

Hey experts...

I'm looking at a decently accurate pistol for target shooting over 6 yards.

The Gamo Compact looks a good entry level pistol, but is the Webley Alecto as accurate and as suited to target shooting (sighting-wise)?

I like the idea that a bit more power is available if required for longer range plinkage.

Any advice appreciated.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The Alecto is as accurate as an accurate thing, as powerful as you like on 3 pumps, and has an excellent set of irons IMO. Newer ones come with a barrel threaded for silencer too. I think it would make an excellent pistol for HFT.
    Handling is a tricky one, I have not used a Compact so have no comparison, but IMO the Alecto is better shot with two hands.

Ideally you should have a handle of both in a gunshop to see what you think.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The Alecto is as accurate as an accurate thing, as powerful as you like on 3 pumps, and has an excellent set of irons IMO. Newer ones come with a barrel threaded for silencer too. I think it would make an excellent pistol for HFT.
    Handling is a tricky one, I have not used a Compact so have no comparison, but IMO the Alecto is better shot with two hands.

Ideally you should have a handle of both in a gunshop to see what you think.
    Thanks bud - ideally it would be just right handed use.

I won't be in Edinburgh for a while to get a 1st hand look.

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Thanks bud - ideally it would be just right handed use.

I won't be in Edinburgh for a while to get a 1st hand look.
    Can't comment on the Alectro, as I've not tried one.

Compact - All depends how important the walnut anatomical grip is to you mate.

To me, the Compact is a good starter pistol, but limited by it's plasticky sights and cheapo trigger.

Years ago, when the Compact cost £120 new / £80 2nd hand, I found it was good for the money as my beginner match pistol. Bought it cheap, and soon sold it cheap - to move on to FWB65, FAS 604, FWB 80, Airmatch 600 etc... those 'proper' match pistols were a great improvement in the trigger and sights department.

If you want the grip and match sights and a match trigger - There was a FAS 604 for sale on here for around £180. last week.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Compact has more than enough poke for target work at 6 yds or 10m.
    The grip is superb for the price and the trigger can upgraded at no cost with a little judicious fettling to a good standard.
    Can't really comment on the Alecto - but from Crosmans I've owned I do know that multi-pumping soon loses its appeal and is not conducive to accurate shooting when done in any quantity

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Compact has more than enough poke for target work at 6 yds or 10m.
    The grip is superb for the price and the trigger can upgraded at no cost with a little judicious fettling to a good standard.
    Can't really comment on the Alecto - but from Crosmans I've owned I do know that multi-pumping soon loses its appeal and is not conducive to accurate shooting when done in any quantity
    Is the Alecto not around the same ft lbs on a single pump as the Compact? Around 2.3ft lbs from what I've read.

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Hiya, plus one for the Alecto. I bought one off here only yesterday. Went shooting with it this morning. What a piece of kit!

It's a BIG gun, but very well balanced. Mine is fitted with a silencer. The guy I bought it from, has a Brother who is also selling his on here. You could do a lot worse!

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....6-WebleyAlecto

Les
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?