Thread: record jumbo

record jumbo

OK the little Jumbo is back together but it does feel a bit low on power. Does anyone know what ft lb they should be? I was thinking about 3, put it up against a Nemesis and the Jumbo has much less power. The spring feels ok when cocking, piston and seal's are all new (thanks to the Record factory) but it just performs a bit low on the power .... or is it me expecting to much from the pistol? Any comments, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Russ
    Guns and boats .... works for me

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Iirc the stated fps was around 300-325 which is pretty weak! One of the joys of that pistol is being able to run down range and catch the pellet if its gonna miss your target!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I've seen figures quoted of just over 1 to almost 1.5 ft-lbs, varying with pellet - RWS Hobbies being best, just breaking 300 ft/s.

Originally it was even less, I believe, and a stronger 'export' mainspring fitted to satisfy the power-crazed UK market,

Iain

Jumbo

By coincidence I had my jumbo delux at my mates last weekend for a tinnie challenge at about 8 yards.
    It suprised me with its accuracy but for some strange reason the sights have to be set way left.

Power wise about 1.5flbs but sweet to shoot, it's no "pocket rocket" but what's not to love, compact pocket size, accurate, nice palm filling walnut grips, solid engineered...

Mines been stuck in a box until last week having been over-shadowed by more exotic pistols but we had so much fun with it it's going to be a regular performer in the beer can challenge.

Great to train on too as with the short barrel the slightest poor hold or movement equates to a surviving tinnie!

If it is doing 300 fps you are lucky, most do around 270 - 280 fps. It's obvious really......just look at the size of the 'engine', and the short barrel. But it is accurate and fun to shoot.

Pete.

You did well to get it back together, I had always heard they are a swine to work on. Luckily never needed to strip mine, its not had a lot of use always saw it as a collectors piece really - nice piece of airgun history. From memory satisfying to shoot, instructions highlight they like a drop of oil. I use Weboil, as for my Tempest power always perked up thereafter.

Note from instructions: 'For maintenance some drops of weapon oil in the barrel are sufficient after 100 rds, approx'. For your interest price new £63.00 in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Iirc the stated fps was around 300-325 which is pretty weak! One of the joys of that pistol is being able to run down range and catch the pellet if its gonna miss your target!
    I like it lol after all pellets are expensive so if you can save / re-use one fantastic

Well it looks like my Jumbo is spot on with the power side of things, now to strip it, re finish it and enjoy

They're not that hard to strip really, just take your time and keep the parts in order, you should be fine. Make sure that you use a thread sealing or locking compund, or anti-seize compund of some sort on the steel screws that hold the breech plug in though, if reassembled dry, the dissimilar metals corrosion will destroy the threads in the alloy before long. I would consider using moly paste and a little grease on the cylinder and piston rather than oil.