Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: melbourne marksmen

Many thanks to the Melborne members who organised the fair, l down sized my collection 9 sold, and only 2 followed me back home nice to meet up with some of the BBS members as well.
    l hope to be at the next one all being well.

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I'm not long home from Melbourne having had a most enjoyable day. I've seen a lot, learnt a lot, had a number of interesting conversations* and can put faces to names but think my crowning achievement was luring Binners (and his wallet) back at a later date by an unfulfilled promise of a cup of tea.

Sincere thanks to all the organisers and attendees. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

ATVB, Mick

* And overheard a few more!

I turned my back and Mick had swapped me and my cup of tea for his new best mate, Edbear. Well I may come the evening before next time, just to settle a few scores with one of the local bell-enders.

Bring your wallet mick, that tea might turn into a swift half

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Many thanks to the Melborne members who organised the fair, l down sized my collection 9 sold, and only 2 followed me back home nice to meet up with some of the BBS members as well.
    l hope to be at the next one all being well.

l forgot to say many thanks to scot & pete for helping me with carrying my guns.

great feedback

Many thanks fellas for all the positive feedback.

I counted 200+ airguns for sale as we were setting up and then 2 more sellers turned up so there must have been around 250 airguns for sale plus loads of spares including some old and modern walnut stocks (Prosport/TX200's/AA 400's/Titans), scopes, rifle cases, springs, pistons, trigger assemblies, open sights and even super lubes at crazy cheap prices.

Nice to see a selection of spring powered Match rifles (Walther/Diana-Original)and even a couple of SSP Walther LGR's and at bargain prices.
    A very nice Walther LGR went for £225 and it had just had a full overhaul and a super Original 75 went for less than £200.
    Some very nice PCP rifles were for sale inc. a GC2 and a Ripley (which sold to Rob from Leicester)

A very nice Anschutz 335 Target with the Williams sight went to a good home (Stan a collector from Kettering) and there was an good choice of Airsporters and Mercurys (but no Challengers unfortunately) and 2 off.177 Webley Mk3's in outstanding condition - again so affordable.

All this for a £2 entry -roll on the next one.
    John
    hold me back !!

Many thanks to the Melbourne marksmen for a well organised event. Well worth the three hundred mile round trip, I brought a mate who's been a powderburner all of his life and I think he was blown away seeing airgun technology that he never knew existed, he expected to see a bunch of people offering worn out Cadets, Meteors and Gats. I was tempted by a Centenary BSA at a very fair price but managed to keep the Airsporteritis under controll till some other lucky sufferer snapped it up. I'll brobably wander around mumbling 'why didn't I buy it' for a couple of weeks but I'll get over it.
    As a great man once said, I'll be back'.
    Mel.
    Last edited by mel h; 16-02-2014 at 01:15 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Many thanks to the Melbourne marksmen for a well organised event. Well worth the three hundred mile round trip, I brought a mate who's been a powderburner all of his life and I think he was blown away seeing airgun technology that he never knew existed, he expected to see a bunch of people offering worn out Cadets, Meteors and Gats. I was tempted by a Centenary BSA at a very fair price but managed to keep the Airsporteritis under controll till some other lucky sufferer snapped it up. I'll probably wander around mumbling 'why didn't I buy it' for a couple of weeks but I'll get over it.
    As a great man once said, 'Ill be back'.
    Mel.
    Hi Mel, nice to meet you and glad your mate enjoyed the day, It seems like a lot of us have similar interests, and I could have chatted to him all day except I was cream crackered after having about 3 hours sleep Friday night. I perked up a bit once inside, but the drive home was awful and I slept 12 hours last night

As you say, tons of stuff at seemingly half or even a third of the prices I have seen on some websites and even gunstar, and I struggled like hell to keep my hands in my pockets

I brought a Meteor MK1 in .177 to sell, and then saw a .22 which was really nice and only 11 different on the serial number...the seller was willing to drop from the £70 asking price for a really nice example but then I thought "stop it...what are you doing"

I can't believe some of the stuff was still there at some of those prices at the end of the day, I suspect most people came with a budget and found more stuff than they could safely sneak past the missus, so like me had to pass, and you are not the only one who will be doing the "why didn't I buy that" routine...I am already!

Thanks as always to all at Melbourne for another great day out

ATB, Ed

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Yes a thoroughly enjoyable event, got a nice Mercury at a very good price, could not make my mind up about a scope though, which was also going cheap it would have looked just right on the Mercury, it was on the same stall as the Centenary, oh my god what a cracking gun, at that price it was bargain in my opinion. When will you see a Centenary in that condition with some of the accessories too. Had to keep saying no, it will be a long time before one comes up at that price again, if at all.

Yes gentlemen it was a splendid display and an enjoyable few hours, well worth the trip.

Chippendale (with clothes on)
    Last edited by Chippendale; 16-02-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammar

Regrets

Many thanks again to all those who attended, particularly those who had long drives to make.

Glad you got back OK Ed and as you say some of the guns were at silly cheap prices. 10 years ago I would have come away with a boot full of guns, but I managed to limit myself to buying just 1 rifle, 1 scope and 1 stock.

I do regret however not buying a boxed and 'as-new' FWB Co2 pistol from David (Wonky Donkey), it eventually went to a BBS member and Melbourne pistol shooter, so I will at least get to have a try with it on our range.

These fayre prices do allow you to buy and try and then if the gun is not for you, you can bring it back to the next fayre and sell it on, or swap it. Quite a bit of swapping went on yesterday and its nice having new toys to play with.

Rifle winner:

Mr Ralph Currie, from Cambridgeshire was the winner of the rifle and scope and it will be posted off this week to him. I am sure he will also be back.

John
    hold me back !!

Many thanks to all at Melbourne - they even found me a fold up table and I managed to sell a lot of my fathers airgun collection. All the people at the fair were really friendly and I spent a lot of time just chatting and looking at all the nice kit for sale. hope to see you soon at the club, Stu.

I had a great time, didn't buy much but really enjoyed it, met up with a few friends and saw lots of interesting airguns. This was the second Melbourne fair that I've been to and they've both been excellent events. Thanks to the organisers and everyone that helped. Cheers!

I hadn't been to a collectors fayre before and was hankering after getting myself an old British rifle. Needless to say the fayre was excellent and I came away with a Webley mark3 which shoots very sweetly. Thank you to Eddy for his honest advice and appraisal of the guns he had for sale. I took a gamble on taking the missus with me (mainly her idea!), the shocker was that she voiced that she had no issue with me taking up bell target. Took me a while to work out why but as shes a real ale drinker, she obviously liked the idea of being driven to a drinking establishment, bought a pint and then would even be able to claim she was supporting me in my hobby.
    Thanks to all for a fun day.

Liam
    Liam Webster

Just read some reports on the Shooting Show. Nothing really bad has been said but nothing too glowing. Not many mentions of the big airgun names, did they attend or not ? Was there many airgun stands/manufacturers ?
    I think I found the Airgun Fayre at Melbourne more than satisfying for my interests and it was a lot more interesting to airgun shooters and collectors than a multitude of clothing and sweet stands, and they had some nice salad rolls on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Just read some reports on the Shooting Show. Nothing really bad has been said but nothing too glowing. Not many mentions of the big airgun names, did they attend or not ? Was there many airgun stands/manufacturers ?
    I think I found the Airgun Fayre at Melbourne more than satisfying for my interests and it was a lot more interesting to airgun shooters and collectors than a multitude of clothing and sweet stands, and they had some nice salad rolls on offer.
    I went to both, different target audiences I think.
    I'd like to add my thanks to Melbourne chaps for a good do, there was some really interesting stuff for sale. I had a budget and amazingly I stuck to it.
    There were three Titan Mohawks on offer, I was really tempted but being as I am if I'd bought one I'd have had to buy the others too so I resisted.
    Last edited by Biker_Bob; 17-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Enjoyed the chat with lots of different folk, it's quite surprising how many airgunners are into motorcycles as well.
    Mel.

Many thanks to the Melbourne gang for setting it up again Excelent job, I was next to Mel H. Good chap lots of interesting guns for sale.and nice to meet old friends once again.
    ATB brian.