Thread: hawk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've heard a few stories recently about loss of zero on the Vantage line.

Do you think the 1" tube AMX series is a real step up from the Vantage?

I've had my eye on the 2-7x32AO, 3-9x40AO and the 4-12x40AO.

They are supposed to be tough but I'm not sure about the recticle.

I prefer half mildot.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

the glass on the vantage makes the depth of field perfect for HFT and even on my boinger it works. However a word of caution. I borrowed one to try and when I mounted it using very little force to tighten it down I found that I had crimped the tube, I therefore Had to give my mate my brand new one and keep the old one. I had problems with the zero shifting and sent it back as the elevation adjuster was fairly loose. They tested it and said that the movement is within tolerance on a scope for that price. What an insult.

I got a replacement eventually and took great care when mounting it, I have since found that this one is crimped too and also another well known shooter who is very proficient found he has crimped his too. I am not stupid and nor is he so I am letting you all know that this is a great scope but the tube must be as thin as tin foil for all of them to be crimped, but they are great to shoot competitively. I can normally see clearish at 9 yds and still see pellet marks at 50 on 9 mag.
    Does anyone know how to contact doughnuts Anonymous cos I just cant seem to give them up and may be a 0 addict

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I've yet to be convinced about the overall "durability issue" using a Hawke scope on a spring air rifle !

To be honest, my experiances with several of the earlier Hawke models was poor ie, one didnt hold zero, another lost focus on the eyebell after a shot and another did not have adequate turret adjustment ! I was not impressed with the build quality either.

However, after visiting their stands at recent Shows and Events, I'm prepared to give them another chance.

I see they state that some of their current range are "spring gun rated" or "all calibre rated", but is this claim true ?

I wonder which of the range would repeatedly stand up to the double recoil of a spring or gas ram air rifle be it tuned or otherwise lets say or to be even more critical an FAC air rifle ?
    The returning of the barrel after cocking can also be very harsh, I use a pair of Fenmans which are savage in this respect and "slam up" with quite a jolt !

Currently I use several Bushnell and older Simmons scopes on my springers and rammers and they are fine BUT how would the latest Hawke's perform ?
    Last edited by Blackrider; 18-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

In the past, I've always shyed away from Hawkes. Had some really poor ones. However, I recently got a couple of the cheaper ones ( 4-12x50 vantage and same but HD sport) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the optics for the money. Durability is yet to be seen.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I've yet to be convinced about the overall "durability issue" using a Hawke scope on a spring air rifle !

To be honest, my experiances with several of the earlier Hawke models was poor ie, one didnt hold zero, another lost focus on the eyebell after a shot and another did not have adequate turret adjustment ! I was not impressed with the build quality either.

However, after visiting their stands at recent Shows and Events, I'm prepared to give them another chance.

I see they state that some of their current range are "spring gun rated" or "all calibre rated", but is this claim true ?

I wonder which of the range would repeatedly stand up to the double recoil of a spring or gas ram air rifle be it tuned or otherwise lets say or to be even more critical an FAC air rifle ?
    The returning of the barrel after cocking can also be very harsh, I use a pair of Fenmans which are savage in this respect and "slam up" with quite a jolt !

Currently I use several Bushnell and older Simmons scopes on my springers and rammers and they are fine BUT how would the latest Hawke's perform ?

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    In the past, I've always shyed away from Hawkes. Had some really poor ones. However, I recently got a couple of the cheaper ones ( 4-12x50 vantage and same but HD sport) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the optics for the money. Durability is yet to be seen.
    I've had a couple of issues with Hawke in the past (one on a Map6 and another on a Panorama) but to be honest most I've had have been fine, including a cheap & cheerful Sport HD 4x32.

At the risk of tempting fate, it's 'so far so good' with another Hawke I have at the mo, an Airmax 2-7x32AO which is on my mild mannered HW95k. Decent glass for the price and a good reticle.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd