Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hawk

Hawke

I'm looking for a Hawke scope for a HW100 for target shooting at around 35-40 yards anyone recommend one

The Sidewinder 30 is a superb scope

Hawke's Sidewinder 30 is IMO all the scope you will ever need for airgun use. Not only are they sharp and clear optically with superb reticules but their mechanics are very precise and repeatable. The turrets can be relied upon to dial in the requisite number of clicks to move the poa precisely the predicted amount. But don't take my word for it check out the results from the 2014 extreme bench rest (long range target shooting which list the shooters rifle and scope) in Arizona and you can see how many top target shooters use this scope. see http://www.extremebenchrest.com/2014...match-results/

Ok it isn't the cheapest in the range but at round £320 to £360 it's value for money. Also Deben - Hawke agents have superb customer service should you ever have a problem.

The Airmax 30 SF is a little cheaper and also quite good but not as good as the sidewinder which I use on my HW100 and Wolverine as well as FX Wildcat

Reddenning
    Last edited by reddenning; 14-02-2016 at 12:30 AM.

I find the MTC Connect very good, the wide field of view and minimal parallax error is good for all ranges.

I have just put a Hawke panorama 4-12x40 ao on my s410, fantastic scope in normal daylight conditions, but not brilliant at dusk
    Last week when I used it I could see a pigeon roosting, but when I held the gun up to shoot it I really struggled to see it, in the end I didn't take the shot....frustrating!!

Cool

I always use hawke but never spent more than £160 so mostly the panoramas, varmints and night eye level.

Such good optics for the cash and mostly good with add on night vision.

Would love to splash out on a sidewinder or endurance on day but not a big fan of bulky scopes so we'll see. However they are great with the nite site products and would be great for the hmr

I've heard a few stories recently about loss of zero on the Vantage line.

Do you think the 1" tube AMX series is a real step up from the Vantage?

I've had my eye on the 2-7x32AO, 3-9x40AO and the 4-12x40AO.

They are supposed to be tough but I'm not sure about the recticle.

I prefer half mildot.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

the glass on the vantage makes the depth of field perfect for HFT and even on my boinger it works. However a word of caution. I borrowed one to try and when I mounted it using very little force to tighten it down I found that I had crimped the tube, I therefore Had to give my mate my brand new one and keep the old one. I had problems with the zero shifting and sent it back as the elevation adjuster was fairly loose. They tested it and said that the movement is within tolerance on a scope for that price. What an insult.

I got a replacement eventually and took great care when mounting it, I have since found that this one is crimped too and also another well known shooter who is very proficient found he has crimped his too. I am not stupid and nor is he so I am letting you all know that this is a great scope but the tube must be as thin as tin foil for all of them to be crimped, but they are great to shoot competitively. I can normally see clearish at 9 yds and still see pellet marks at 50 on 9 mag.
    Does anyone know how to contact doughnuts Anonymous cos I just cant seem to give them up and may be a 0 addict

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I've yet to be convinced about the overall "durability issue" using a Hawke scope on a spring air rifle !

To be honest, my experiances with several of the earlier Hawke models was poor ie, one didnt hold zero, another lost focus on the eyebell after a shot and another did not have adequate turret adjustment ! I was not impressed with the build quality either.

However, after visiting their stands at recent Shows and Events, I'm prepared to give them another chance.

I see they state that some of their current range are "spring gun rated" or "all calibre rated", but is this claim true ?

I wonder which of the range would repeatedly stand up to the double recoil of a spring or gas ram air rifle be it tuned or otherwise lets say or to be even more critical an FAC air rifle ?
    The returning of the barrel after cocking can also be very harsh, I use a pair of Fenmans which are savage in this respect and "slam up" with quite a jolt !

Currently I use several Bushnell and older Simmons scopes on my springers and rammers and they are fine BUT how would the latest Hawke's perform ?
    Last edited by Blackrider; 18-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

In the past, I've always shyed away from Hawkes. Had some really poor ones. However, I recently got a couple of the cheaper ones ( 4-12x50 vantage and same but HD sport) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the optics for the money. Durability is yet to be seen.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I've yet to be convinced about the overall "durability issue" using a Hawke scope on a spring air rifle !

To be honest, my experiances with several of the earlier Hawke models was poor ie, one didnt hold zero, another lost focus on the eyebell after a shot and another did not have adequate turret adjustment ! I was not impressed with the build quality either.

However, after visiting their stands at recent Shows and Events, I'm prepared to give them another chance.

I see they state that some of their current range are "spring gun rated" or "all calibre rated", but is this claim true ?

I wonder which of the range would repeatedly stand up to the double recoil of a spring or gas ram air rifle be it tuned or otherwise lets say or to be even more critical an FAC air rifle ?
    The returning of the barrel after cocking can also be very harsh, I use a pair of Fenmans which are savage in this respect and "slam up" with quite a jolt !

Currently I use several Bushnell and older Simmons scopes on my springers and rammers and they are fine BUT how would the latest Hawke's perform ?

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    In the past, I've always shyed away from Hawkes. Had some really poor ones. However, I recently got a couple of the cheaper ones ( 4-12x50 vantage and same but HD sport) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the optics for the money. Durability is yet to be seen.
    I've had a couple of issues with Hawke in the past (one on a Map6 and another on a Panorama) but to be honest most I've had have been fine, including a cheap & cheerful Sport HD 4x32.

At the risk of tempting fate, it's 'so far so good' with another Hawke I have at the mo, an Airmax 2-7x32AO which is on my mild mannered HW95k. Decent glass for the price and a good reticle.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

i have a airmax 30 3x12x50 on my r10 its perfect optics is so clear you can see the rats blinking lol

I'm a big fan of Hawke scopes, excellent value for money and a super warranty from Deben.

In the Vantage range I've had/got the 3-9x40 ir .22lr ret, 3-12x44 sf half mil dot & 4-16 sf ir 10x half mil dot, & I've also got a 6-24x50 Airmax 30 sf & 4-16x50 Sidewinder 10x half mil dot.

I've had a couple that went back under warranty, both replaced without argument within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm a big fan of Hawke scopes, excellent value for money and a super warranty from Deben.

In the Vantage range I've had/got the 3-9x40 ir .22lr ret, 3-12x44 sf half mil dot & 4-16 sf ir 10x half mil dot, & I've also got a 6-24x50 Airmax 30 sf & 4-16x50 Sidewinder 10x half mil dot.

I've had a couple that went back under warranty, both replaced without argument within a week.
    I am not a fan of Hawke Scopes, had two Sidewinders, both sent back First one the changed the erector spring (that did cure that one) My lad still has that scope, (he would maybe recommend the scope) The second one i bought (brand new) was not a patch one the first one for clarity and the range on the sidewheel would be miles out, they sent that back saying no fault, so i wont deal with them.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    I am not a fan of Hawke Scopes, had two Sidewinders, both sent back First one the changed the erector spring (that did cure that one) My lad still has that scope, (he would maybe recommend the scope) The second one i bought (brand new) was not a patch one the first one for clarity and the range on the sidewheel would be miles out, they sent that back saying no fault, so i wont deal with them.
    The fact that the sidewheel range is out for your eye is not a fault with the scope , I will agree that the pre 2015 model (in the flight case) has better glass than the post 2015 version.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The fact that the sidewheel range is out for your eye is not a fault with the scope , I will agree that the pre 2015 model (in the flight case) has better glass than the post 2015 version.
    Enough said,
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite