Thread: AA200 for target use mods.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

AA200 for target use mods.

I'm working with a school team and although we have good match rifles for our main team we also have an Air Arms 200 and an option on another that we wish to use as a starter match air rifle, I have to admit to not being endeared to it as the trigger is awful and the target sights (Chinese) are very poor.
    But I know that this rifle is used by many groups particularly scouts in the sporter class so they must be adaptable, I would appreciate some guidance on what sights people use on them as the dove tails seem to be a non standard size, and what work is viable on the triggers.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

S200

I think the dovetail is a flat profile 11mm..would expect your Walther diopter to fit the rail if a flat profile.

The Gamo rear sight is not the best it must be admitted but good enough for 10m work.

Trigger adjustment see this link http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spdxs40.htm

Mike95

Thanks Mike
    I now have some Anschutz sights for these, I have been given some guidance for improvement work on the the triggers, its not just adjustment, so I'll see how they shape up with that.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi Robin,

How do the kids find this setup, I was looking for something lightweight to start my daughter with?

Anschutz
    We are shooting ten metres, and its a bit out of its depth mostly due to the trigger (which I hope to improve!). But we use them purely for kids that fall under the size required to shoot with a match rifle which is vastly better. It gets them started, otherwise they have to wait until they grow and it lets us coach them technique, I don't like the AA but they are the horse for that course and cheap.

With a youngster shooting standing its not so much the rifle weight which is the problem, as good technique is not about strength to hold, but the position suporting the rifle through the line of bone, the muscle only holds the bone together. But under a certain size of child the triangulation of suport bones is too small and the rifle weight takes over, even light weights. Modern positions are quite extreme at best, and there is also the issue of small kids having to take an even more extreme position if they are slight, this raises the question of injuries. Its dificult to define but my view is I would rather they wait until they are a bit bigger than shoot in an extreme position. It also reinforces the need for good suportive shooting kit.

Personaly I think you are better starting with a pure match rifle even an old one. For our main squad we use Original 66's with the barrel weights removed and shortened stocks (purist collectors have just fainted!) and they are cheaper and a class above the AA. This is with 12/13 year olds. We also have a FWB 300S junior I made (purists look away!) by removing the barrel sleeve and shortening the barrel to FWB junior length and shortening the stock, still a little weighty but resulting in a superb shooting and nicely ballanced match rifle.
    Modern alternatives, the MPR is much better, but I have to admit to not being impressed, the Hammerli ar20 is also much better but not my preference. By far the best junior rifle is the Walther LG300 Junior, its pricey compared to the others but is in a different league. We have a club one at my main club, we have two adult ladies using them, they can be shot as they come at 3.5 kg or weighted, my wife uses one very sucessfully, fitted with a full length LG400 action and weighted to full weight.
    If you daughter is small yes the AA is a good starter, otherwise I'd advise a lightened and shortened classic, better and cheaper.
    Sorry AA enthusiasts, I'm only interested in pure 10 mt match shooting and coaching and I am unashamably biased towards that and good as it is for what its designed for its only a very basic starter for 10 mt.

Thanks for taking the time time give such a comprehensive reply, food for thought.

She is quite small, so weight is an issue at this stage.

An update

I now have two, one a genuine 6 ft lb target two piece stock one, and an alleged sold as a target but I believe its a sporter with target sights and is marked 12 ft lbs.
    The only guidance on trigger set up I can find (on pilkguns) is a little vague, but I have now adjusted both triggers to single stage and lighter. Most of the roughness was in the first stage, and the creep I have also adjusted out and I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised and have ended up with crisp and light ish single stage triggers.
    I have Anschutz sights for both so we look forward to using them to bring more youngsters into the sport, thanks for the guidance I had from everyone.
    Robin

10m rifle

My fave 10m rifle was an FWB300s Junior...much better balance than the full size rifle and the shorter stock was OK providing you do not have arms like a gorilla! Picked up a few club medals with the rifle. I sold it to a club on the South Coast who wanted something for youngsters. My club use the s200 target and it is probably the lightest option for smaller youngsters. Glad you have the triggers sorted. The older 12ft/lb guns could be re/regulated, not sure about the current models...probably tamper proof.

We also had some Crosman co2 guns for 10m, very light but not a serious 10m option.

I brought in a number of FWB 300's from Germany via e-gun.de Many German clubs were swapping the springers for the pneumatics. Problem now is that the German PO will not ship a rifle and the carriers want 99 euros a pop! Still worth checking the e-gun website...you have to register (in German) and although you can view the website in English you can only buy in German.

Mike95

I've actually built a 300S Junior from a full size one, took off the sleeve and weight and shortened the barrel and the stock, its shocked the purist collectors but it shoots a dream and is used by one of our main squad school shooters.
    Robin