After being fed up with numerous IR illuminators and as someone who requires moderate amounts of IR illumination I thought I'd try one of Dave (aka Some Bloke)'s modified 501B torches. I've tried and got the likes of an nm800 and in fairness whilst it throws the beam a long way the overly bright, finicky and frustrating power settings along with the bulk of the bulbous head in the end was a no go for me. My initial response to getting the 501 in my hand's was a good one to say the least. It was exactly the same size as my laserluchs illuminator which perfectly suited my needs for a small illuminator that doesn't suffer from the dreaded blobs. I wasn't really expecting big things because of the size and the lack of publicity but I couldn't believe what result's unfolded.
Dave was kind enough to send me a couple of LED's because he couldn't say for definite which one would suit my tubed gear best. The first module I tried was the oslon 3 power 90 degree LED and I couldn't believe the result. The beam was so clean and on power setting 1 & 2 this thing was putting out amounts of light I couldn't believe and on setting 3 it was ridiculous. Really speaking this was too much for decent tubed kit but with an add on it certainly lit the image up if it was only extended ranges you were viewing, I was hooked on the torch instantly. The ability to just scroll through the power settings was so simple and a joy to use. I always look through the nv without any IR and then switch the IR on when I'm in position to either just shoot or scan to see if I've missed anything whilst spotting without IR. Knowing this torch was going to come on at my desired power setting was spot on and a must for me. There was no need to move the rifle or scroll through undesired power's it was just a case of point and shoot. You then switch it off and it comes back on to the last power setting, the thing just worked beautifully.
I then went on to try the 60 degree, three setting low power LED (or so it was called) and what a surprise. With the spotter and dedicated this thing was perfect mostly on power setting 1&2 and the third setting allowing extended viewing range. Considering what was supposed to be a low power LED there certainly wasn't anything low about it, it was perfect. I honestly can't get over the performance of such a small torch. On the spotter it was perfect, nice and compact with a lovely clear picture. The best thing was I could hold my mono like a small bino, holding the torch with one hand and the mono with the other. Not only was the picture great it was comfortable to hold and light to mount. Best of all it fitted perfectly in my bino pack, last time I tried mounting my nm800 I kept poking myself in the eye or it would be holding the mono off the bottom of the bino bag so the ocular would get wet but the 501 is so small it's just like a laser and fitted perfectly. With the add on this module also rocked, allowing shooting of rats to foxes it really works well with decent tubed nv and it was exactly what I was looking for.
I also used the red LED which again was very impressive for such a small torch, not as powerful as an nm800 because of the lack of lumping aspherical head or didn't throw as far as the IR modules because there was no intensifier to use every bit of available light but very impressive all the same and perfect for sensible ranges. What also impressed me was the simplicity to change the modules out in the field, they really are so simple to change in the dark. What also felt good was the fact the head or battery cap doesn't feel like it's going to strip or cross thread after going on and off numerous times. I did feel this was a fault with the nm800 and the feel of them was 'cheap' when compared to the likes of other torches. I'm not saying the 501 is an 'expensive' torch but it certainly feels and works as it should.
I really can't understand why these torches aren't being talked about so thought I'd start this thread for others who not only use digital but who use gen 2 and above and are looking for an illuminator, Dave's 501's (and not his jeans :lol: ) really are worth a look. If your looking to light up the other end of the world perhaps these torches aren't for you but for the NV hunter looking for illumination at CF ranges they certainly are up to the job.
The thread was also to say a public thank you to Dave for providing me with an illuminator I've been looking for, for ages, so cheers Dave :clap: :thumbup: