Thread: unsporting behaviour spoiling our 10m open events.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

this post removed thank you.

Post removed- due to new information
    Last edited by terencefw; 09-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.

This year the Welsh Open was scored using decimal scoring. If you look at the saved live results and look at the score sheet in old money the match score was 557. On average your top class shooters are gaining 25-30 pts using decimals whereas developing shooters between 15-25 pts. You may feel that this may still be a little excessive for a C class shooter.

However the individual that shot it is a developing shooter, so it may be a case of a couple of things. The entry may have been made 3 or 4 months ago a lot of work can be done in that time, it may just be development in technique. Or in the last week he may have just had a eureka moment and clicked on the point. This is also the first Air competition I've known him shoot. How does training performance hold up under competition stress? You don't know until you actually try it.

I agree with you that our sport needs the lower classifications, they are the ones that keep the sport going. But in the same vein should you complain about someone maybe having a good day, possibly shooting a new pb and performing well? Sadly he never shot a second match. So can't tell if it was everything clicking or true performance level.

Mike

cheating

These people are only cheating themselves in the long run, they are dishonorable and should be mixing with decent people.
    I love my country, but fear my government

amended post

I did not know about the decimal scoring thing - I would accept that 550 ish would be achivable from a person doing 530 in practice...shame you did not explain this on the WAA fb page it would educate others as well as myself at the same time. others who are also not knowing about modern perhaps complicated scoring.
    I Was not personaly affected in the competition, but there were others who might feel agrieved by being beaten by such a high score with in the class and might now feel happy with this knowlege i have gained today - thank you.

I also agree, that a well subscribed "C" class underpins the competition both in terms of finance and future support. but it remains to me dissapointing that on this occasion the people who should have won it didn't. - in fact by not pushing the two formentioned shooters to a higher class you did them a dis-service in that it builds their confidence in knowing they were competing at higher level than the base C class.

Am I. dissapointed in my treatment on the waa fp page - Yes! i thought I was amongst mature people who were able to discuss a query intelligently. Perhaps it explains why there are so few posts on the page. in line with your reply i have amended this post.

thanks.
    Last edited by terencefw; 09-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.

I think you misunderstand my position. I'm a fellow shooter and a member of the WAA. Other than sometimes being involved with construction and disassembly of the range, I am not involved in the running or organisation of the competition. I tried to post a reply to your post on fb, but was unable to. Realising that there had been a misunderstanding of the scoring I felt it only fair to explain this.

As to re classification, I'm unsure which side of the fence I sit with your viewpoint. There is certainly validity in them being pushed up a class due to a good score, they would have respectably finished 2nd and 4th in b class. However I would also say it depends on the circumstances on how it was shot. If they were two pb's that came out of the blue, then would you be punishing them for shooting well? The competitor that shot the 571 shot a 560 in the second, so how do you view the 571?

I have no idea why your posts were removed on the fb page, it was nothing to do with me, presumably it was admin. I am surprised as all WAA officials are friendly helpful people. Yours was a genuine query and a full explaination in public would have been a greater resolution. In no official capacity please accept my apologies on behalf of the WAA.

Mike

Cheers mike.

thanks for your reply Mike- I have left the fb group as even before my recent postings, it was becoming baren of any interesting posts.. Its a shame you are not representing the WAA as your take on this issue is very good, illucid and a clear one, even enlightening me on how the new decimal scoring is lifting shooters scores way out of their class c average.

With reference to a person scoring 571 - its a grey area. I'm not saying this situation is clear cut but I think it is one that needs debating where the one person who raises the issue does not get penalised or victimised for raising an issue affecting a number of people who they themselves feel they aught not to raise for obvious reasons.

I am going to let things lie now, only to say this, that competitions albeit by WAA or the NSRA are going to have problems now getting class "C" newbies to compete with scores of 580 ex 600. in essence it will be to turn up and shoot for the fun and experience (as I do! ) and not to compete with a chance of winning. the class. I may even message Maz, for her insight...

thanks for your reply - Appreciated and look forward to meeting you at a future open.
    Last edited by terencefw; 10-11-2013 at 05:42 PM.