Thread: Smith and wesson m&p 15-22

Smith and wesson m&p 15-22

Thought I'd do I quick write up on this rifle as I couldn't find one one here.

Well I'd start by saying this is exactly what I was after, a reliable fly functioning AR15 platform.
    this thing can be customised to the max! Stocks, grips, ambi switch, rails etc etc.
    The thing about the AR platform that appealed to me was the endless possibilities of customisation and different uses such as practical target to hunting.

Now, the entire receiver and rail system is a polymer material (a good thing), it's tough as old boots, relatively light weight even with a scope, bipod and tac light.
    I like this material a lot and reckon that manufacturers will begin to favour this material over time (probably evidenced by heckler and Koch and the use of it in the G36).

I opted for 3 hi cap mags (25rnds each), don't ask me why but at the time figured it was a good idea :-/ for hunting, it was not lol, the mag is too long to go prone unless you have a very flexible back and don't mind severe cramping!
    That said, the 10 round mag that comes with it solves this issue and let's face it who on earth needs to go hunting with a 25rnd mag?

The barrel is of reasonable quality, S&W say match grade...maybe but with the stock trigger you'd never know! The trigger is shit...end of! The pull weight is about 7 1/2lb! It's a bastard!
    I'm putting an aftermarket trigger unit in mine, probably the 3lb match trigger from timney.

The controls are as an AR would be, functioning bolt release, last round hold open, mag release and safety.

I've found the best rounds for me were CCI mini mags, it loves them and can get sub inch groupings (even with the stupid trigger) at 65 yards! Starts to open up a bit beyond 75/80 yards but decent enough out to 100 yards, at 100 yards groupings are about 3 inches but I feel that the super stiff trigger is responsible for this.
    Obviously minimags are a little loud for hunting so I tried winchester sub's and spot on! I only really use this out to about 80yards really, any more than that and I'll go to my savage .17hmr.
    Subsonics are barely audible, cycle flawlessly (I've had about 3or 4 FTF in about 2500 rnds)

On the whole a great rifle, just a shame about the trigger. Great for multiple applications and the shorter 10rnd mag is a must for hunting!

Dan
    Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)

I purchased a S&W M&P 15-22 last year after handling all of the .22 LR military style rifles, reading reviews, and talking with owners.
    I really liked the feel of the HK and the SIG. They feel just like their big brother centerfires, especially the SIG. They are just a bit lighter.

The S&W was often mentioned as the best of the AR-15 styled rimfires, and it really does have the feel. Some US police departments tried different ammunition and found Federal to shoot best. I talked with Smith & Wesson and they said the chamber is tight, like a .22 match rifle, so the smaller Federal fits better. In fact, the cheap, bulk box Federal shoots very well in it. Now, if they would just get some back into the stores here.

I sighted mine in with the factor iron sights ( plastic, but good ), and shot very small groups at 25 yards, then at 50 yards. I did not have much time ( too many other rifles to shoot and adjust that day ), so I installed a Hawke 4x32 Mildot and removed the rear receiver sight. This is a good scope for a little rifle like this ( or an AR-15). With it zeroed at 25 yards and on again at 75 yards, the first dot below the crosshair was on about 125 yards. Half-way in between the crosshair and lower dot was right on the money a 100 yards, so I had a little fun breaking small pieces of clay pigeon out there.

I will probably replace the rear sight with an inexpensive flip up type so I can leave it in place and put the scope on and off. I will just have to see how I use it. Right now, I think I am going to put one of these same Hawke 4x32 scopes on an AR-15 for compatibility. The scope is very sharp, and 4x plenty for coyotes and foxes out to 400 yards.

Before I settle all this, I will probably mount a 4-12x40 AO airgun scope on this M&P 15-22 to see just how well it shoots at 75 and 100 yards, and which ammunition is most accurate, then put the 4x32 on it and take it squirrel and feral pigeon hunting.

When you test it, I'd be interested to know if you get MPI shift when shooting off a bipod or applying pressure on the fore-end. An ever so slightly bendy receiver was an issue when this rifle was first introduced and I'd be interested to know if they fixed it.
    Proud AG and AGW subscriber (and I'll call them ****ing comics if I want to!)

To be honest I worried about this, my bipod seems fine but it's not like I put any pressure on the for-end. I have noticed however that accuracy always improves (with me) when shooting off my hand resting on my pack, but that's just me and I find this with all rifles.

ATB

Dan
    Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)

The secret is not to take the gun too seriously...

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/6589/wtof.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    The secret is not to take the gun too seriously...

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/6589/wtof.jpg
    Simon, looks like you've had the barrel chopped?

What length is it cut to?

Any issues with cycling/accuracy etc?
    .......Yes that's right darling, I got this entire rifle/scope outfit brand new for £300!

Trigger = JB yellow spring ( midway UK) will sort that out easy ... ( cheap !!! )
    Ammo = CCI Tactical , it was made for this rile, and all other black .22 rifles

Feel, it may be lighter, but you get more feedback from a .22 with this rifle,than any of the others...
    As for the Umerex / Colt / HK / GsG guns..... IMO = rubbish , don't believe me .....?!? ... Try to strip and clean one !!

Many thread on here about these, and my opinion over the last 2 years is still the same ... And I will keep posting the same ... : )
    Rem700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy - Rem700 .20 prac XLR Element
    CZ527 .17 Hornet AICS - Anschutz 1417 .22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Dansolo View Post
    I'm putting an aftermarket trigger unit in mine, probably the 3lb match trigger from timney.
    Dan
    Did the Timney improve things in the end?

The 15/22 is a cracking RIMFIRE for the money and you can't go wrong. Myself I opted for a CMMG and only a few quid more than there top range.
    I was looking for a working AR15 in .22 calibre, and would love to have the money to swap out the upper, to a .223

Thumbs up

Have to agree, I use CCI ammo. No issues.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9679/zbeTob.jpg