Thread: Shooting for what reason.

Shooting for what reason.

I put this post on another forum this morning, just as a thought in another thread about the Alecto. Then decided to pop it on here to see what reasons other people have for getting into shooting. What elements, of shooting turn you on. There are apparently people who buy guns for collecting, but never shoot them.
    I was only thinking yesterday about how little I know about lots of aspects of pistols and rifles from the point of view of spec's, prices, maintenance, dates of manufacture etc. There must be loads of personal reasons for doing what we do. I seem to be in the camp of shooters who like the look, feel, but mainly shooting itself. Its the challenge of getting everything under control and hitting exactly where i'm aiming that turns me on. I'm sometimes not sure which gun i'm shooting till I take a second look. I just pick one up that catches my eye and start the process. Funnily enough I do tend to pick up the more challenging guns rather than the ones I know to be "easy" like the HW75. I can spend all day shooting my Gamo AF10 or HW45 which are unforgiving pistols. I dont even use other than Geco .177's pellet wise. As long as we all satisfy our needs we can all have a lifetime of pleasure from our hobby/ sport. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    "Turns you on", really?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Its a great SPORT

I use a springers more of a challenge with springers just bought my first PCP for a more relaxed approach nothing serious still have one pistol for rainy days ,When I first started there was not a great choice of pellets or airguns in general and you shot for fun was not really a sport which today it is.But for me shooting relax,s me and give me something to do have met some great guys and learnt a lot as I have retired, where as in the early sixtys it was what lads did and boys played with the girls
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

There is definitely something in the shooting of guns that you know are not very good.

I spend hours with pistols and rifles that are ok when I have several that are superb.

Why do I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    "Turns you on", really?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Maybe I should have used a different term, but to stay on point. I just can't get interested in some of the stuff that some gun owners can talk about all day, like when certain models first came out etc. Not that theres anything wrong with any aspect. Its a hobby, to do with what we want. I'll repeat, what parts of the hobby/sport give you the most enjoyment. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    There is definitely something in the shooting of guns that you know are not very good.

I spend hours with pistols and rifles that are ok when I have several that are superb.

Why do I do that?
    The challenge!. Finding the limits of the pistol or your technique? ATB. Pete.

I love competing in Gallery Rifle comps.... seeing if i can beat my personal best.... (I'm probably the only person I'll ever beat!!)

My club doesn't have any facilities to shoot these comps, therefore i get nowhere near the amount of practice i need to get in with the top shots, but I get down to Bisley a couple of times a year and shoot the comps, normally shoot them with smallbore first as a practice, then my centerfire "to count".

As to the hates... reloading...

Quote Originally Posted by davymole View Post
    I use a springers more of a challenge with springers just bought my first PCP for a more relaxed approach nothing serious still have one pistol for rainy days ,When I first started there was not a great choice of pellets or airguns in general and you shot for fun was not really a sport which today it is.But for me shooting relax,s me and give me something to do have met some great guys and learnt a lot as I have retired, where as in the early sixtys it was what lads did and boys played with the girls
    You shot for fun, great, hope you still do. Relaxes you. Yep, good to take your mind off any worries. Met people. All Good stuff. I'm 64 in March so can relate to the 60's. ATB. Pete.

Focused Concentration

Shooting for me is a form of meditation. The total concentration required calms and focuses the mind.
    Being out in the woods, among nature - nice and quiet, just me and my gun.
    At the other end down at Redhill it's the banter and the competition that's good.
    Shooting pistols in my garage, practicing the grip one and two handed.
    Making gun parts on my lathe and milling machine, cleaning and polishing

....all of it really, I've been alive nearly 43 years and I've been an airgun shooter for 30 of those

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Shooting for me is a form of meditation. The total concentration required calms and focuses the mind.
    Being out in the woods, among nature - nice and quiet, just me and my gun.
    At the other end down at Redhill it's the banter and the competition that's good.
    Shooting pistols in my garage, practicing the grip one and two handed.
    Making gun parts on my lathe and milling machine, cleaning and polishing

....all of it really, I've been alive nearly 43 years and I've been an airgun shooter for 30 of those
    ( Shooting for me is a form of meditation. The total concentration required calms and focuses the mind.
    Being out in the woods, among nature - nice and quiet, just me and my gun.) I can relate to that. I was brought up on a road through a wood and regularly shot there with friends. That was back in the 60's and rifles and Gats mainly.
    (Shooting pistols in my garage, practicing the grip one and two handed.) Now were talkin! Just me, the pistol, the trying to master the technique, consistency etc. All I need really. ATB. Pete.

Its just a shame that if the snp, sorry, scottish goverment, have their way, most of these wont actually be sufficient reason for owning an airgun.
    Donald

Shooting for what reason.

Being in the countryside having a grand day out.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Its just a shame that if the snp, sorry, scottish goverment, have their way, most of these wont actually be sufficient reason for owning an airgun.
    It's a real worry, although I think I heard this week that the independence vote would be a NO on today's numbers...