Thread: MTC Viper 8-32 X 60

MTC Viper 8-32 X 60

Started off earlier this year looking to do HFT and FT so bought EV2 and Viper 10 X44 (as advised). Got the bug and bought an MPR onto which I put a second hand Mamba 4-16 X60. For the money I thought these were just the job. But as I progressed I wanted a scope to range find. So yesterday morning I lashed out £300 on the big Viper, the 8-32 X 60. I'd read weight was an issue at almost 30 ozs. But I didn't find that a problem.

I was disappointed that on high magnification the scope was very milky. On low mag not even as good as my cheaper MTC's. Last night I was reading up on larger scopes and noted that the lack of a sun shade would likely produce the problem I had. Hey presto! Seems I goofed big time!!

With the shade on things improved. I have little knowledge/experience to fall back on as a newbie, but comparison with my lads scope on 32 mag (which has a similar cost) I'd honestly say his Hawke Sidewinder 30 was about the same. In all other respects I prefer the build quality and refined features of the MTC. Lockable turrets, easily set to zero, a great plus in my book.

The negatives. I'm not a fan of the look of the 6" sidewheel but when you consider it came inclusive with the scope how can you complain? I'm not keen on the MTC flip ups either. On my earlier scopes I noticed the finish quickly wore off the fasteners of the flip ups simply storing it in and out of the gun slip, which are large Jack Pykes with loads of room. So I have fitted Butler Creeks to all 3 scopes. On the matter of finish. I noticed a small bit of swarf or similar under the finish at the objective end which is poor and really should be picked up at quality control. Am I being picky? I don't think so, whilst still a budget scope £300 is quite a layout for working lads. Which many of us shooters are.

Despite the negatives its a well put together bit of kit which has the feel of something that will give many years service, and with the recent addition of a limited lifetime (10 years according to EU law) guarantee it should prove a good investment, especially as MTC have a good reputation for sorting customers issues. As for range finding. Problem solved. If I miss now its definitely me!

had two of these, still have one in the cupboard, don't like them for pretty much the reasons you give, also they don't return to zero consistently if you dial for range, says a lot about the internals!

Same here...I bought a Wolverine after christmas, thought i would put a decent scope on it so went for the mamba 50mil Obj. It kept loosing its zero every time i adjusted the side parelex. Put my old Hawke Panorama EV back on, now its sat in its box now ready to get traded in with my mrs Brocock.
    HW100KT Adj Lam .177 - MTC Viper Connect 3-12x32
    HW98 .177 (SFS Tuned) - Hawke Panorama 4-12x40

MTC Viper 8-32 X 60

i have got one and i really dont like it there are some better scopes out there for less money