Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAM k14 in for sale section

Hello Bob,
    Yes the MG1 looks a lot like a SAM, the origins of the design are clearly very similar. The MG1 was very much a consideration but I couldn't get hold of one to try...the NSRA have one in but you can't try them unless you buy them! The other consideration was servicing, I would want easy access to service support..... I know a lot of people poo-poo this but at the inter-regionals I had problems with my pistol, the engineer was there and sorted it, gifting me a bronze and the region a silver..... Without that back up I'd have been trying to borrow a pistol off of someone!!
    . The SAM that I had was very accurate, I shot my first 97 with it... But I had a few problems and there was little assistance available.
    . The Morini is just brilliant, no absorber to have to monitor, no grip adjustment to blame for poor shots or groups, just a tried and tested twenty year old design that isa as good as its keeper! And that trigger is sublime!
    . I think the arguement of manual vs elec triggers comes in, I'm not a purist, and I love the 'detached' feeling that the morini trigger gives. Some want to feel connected, and the SAMs and Steyrs certainly make you feel a part of the pistol.
    . The low sight line of the SAM is brilliant though!
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

The support bit is important I agree - even though I am too old to compete any more I do remember what it was like to be away from home in the 1970's at an important match praying that the pistol kept going as I could only just afford the pistol I had - the thought of a spare or back-up pistol was not even a distant possibility!

To be fair the Model 65 (and newer Model 80) air pistols never gave me any problems and so I never had any mechanical issues of any sort and with now much more simple designed pistols powered by compressed air it would be fair to expect even more reliability..if only!

If I were competing at National level I would probably feel better using a pistol that had the service and support at the event if it were needed - but many top pistol shooters ( and many that are not) have a spare pistol now that they take as a back-up to reduce this concern.

The advantage of a spare pistol is that it can also be set-up to your own personal preference if it had to be used, whereas a repaired pistol may or may not "feel" the same until it has been tweaked back to yourself again.

That being the case, any make of pistol that works best for you is OK.

I was surprised to see the choice of pistols being used at the Olympics and other international events. We tend to mainly think Steyr and Morini, but I did notice the Pardini and Walthers and others - very interesting.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.