Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the forum. Help needed!

Soviet tractor? The poor IZH has also been likened to an industrial stapler!

Match pistol grips often get modified... many coaches encourage owners to add or remove material to fit the individual's hand better... this can happen to any make of pistol, so it's certainly not restricted to the Izzy, although one could argue that the IZH's grips are more of a 'blank canvas' than some (perhaps most) other match grips.

There is another grip issue that affects some (but seemingly not all) IZH46s... the grips can be a poor fit to the metalwork. This can allow movement between the wood and metal, which can be felt when cocking the pistol. Mine had that 'wobble' and TBH I was gutted about it, but it was actually quite easy to fix - by shimming with some strips cut from a plastic milk container.

Failure to recognise 'why' the grips wobble, can result in owners over-tightning the grip screws (which doesn't cure it, but does cause more damage).

In all honesty, I think the 'right' price for a Izzy would be more like 300 new / 200 used. But I guess Russian imports and not that way any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Soviet tractor? The poor IZH has also been likened to an industrial stapler!

Match pistol grips often get modified... many coaches encourage owners to add or remove material to fit the individual's hand better... this can happen to any make of pistol, so it's certainly not restricted to the Izzy, although one could argue that the IZH's grips are more of a 'blank canvas' than some (perhaps most) other match grips.

There is another grip issue that affects some (but seemingly not all) IZH46s... the grips can be a poor fit to the metalwork. This can allow movement between the wood and metal, which can be felt when cocking the pistol. Mine had that 'wobble' and TBH I was gutted about it, but it was actually quite easy to fix - by shimming with some strips cut from a plastic milk container.

Failure to recognise 'why' the grips wobble, can result in owners over-tightning the grip screws (which doesn't cure it, but does cause more damage).

In all honesty, I think the 'right' price for a Izzy would be more like 300 new / 200 used. But I guess Russian imports and not that way any more.
    'Russian tractor fixed with plastic milk bottle'.....! In all seriousness having been challenged to look a little closer on the basis of construction and performance it certainly seems to be a fine piece of kit. However price does seem to be against it....... Appreciate your adding it to the 'list of the possible I will only have one gun contenders' tho!
    Cheers. Simon.
    Dyslexics of the world-Untie.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Simon
    FWB 65 £230ish Original £130ish the fwb cost about £70 to service myself and I think the original was £25 for the seals. Yup the sevice for the fwb is mine there is also a service write up for the original too. not many tools are needed but you need quality tools not pound land pliers and screwdrivers. The practical stuff is not too difficult as long as you sort out a clean area and a system that catches little things if they drop and think, take notes and read all service write ups first. Above all have confidence that you can do it!
    I paid a bit over the top for both pistols but I wanted them.
    George
    George I was wondering out of curiosity if you had run the Original past a chronograph? How do you feel it shoots in comparison to the FWB 65?? Seem to be a lot more of these out there at very reasonable prices compared to FWB and Hammerli although I guess there is a reason for this.
    ATB Simon

FWB 65/80, FAS 604, Hammerli Master, Original 6

Thanks all for very much valued and appreciated advice and general support viz returning to air gunning. Fantastic forum and very kind and thoughtful responses to a blundering newbie. Well, it seems that I am down to the last four. Solid build quality, pleasing looks, usable at various levels of competitive shooting (once I get some practice!).
    Any final observations/advice?!
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by davymole View Post
    Hi never mind spending £300 of hard earned cash and everyone likes to help you spend it I like yourself returned after 45 years my first buy was a HW95 which was a good buy after one pistol which I no longer have the second best and for even short target and improving my skills was a HW40 ideal at 10mtrs in the garage just over a £100 notes or watch out for a s/h on the forum has all the build quaility as other Weihrauchs and the change sitting in the bank ready then for that all important buy but by then you will be more sure in what you want and well on your way in compertions good luck in your choice
    For a hundred squids I could possibly buy an Original 6. Classic which generally seem to be very solidly engineered. Doing the final narrowing down of options. Any further thoughts re a beautiful piece of classic engineering versus a modern piece of kit??

Quote Originally Posted by SimonR View Post
    Thanks all for very much valued and appreciated advice and general support viz returning to air gunning. Fantastic forum and very kind and thoughtful responses to a blundering newbie. Well, it seems that I am down to the last four. Solid build quality, pleasing looks, usable at various levels of competitive shooting (once I get some practice!).
    Any final observations/advice?!
    Simon
    Oh and Aeron b96??

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonR View Post
    Oh and Aeron b96??
    Very similar to the Tau in many respects, again very accurate and a bargain for a true semi-automatic 5-shot target pistol.
    A lot of fun as well.
    Magazines can be difficult to get hold off, but are fairly simple to make/have made should the need arise.
    Although do bear in mind that they cannot be used in competitions unless you use the single shot magazine - which is do-able if your gun comes with one (quite a few do not seem to have them in their kit) but it is a bit of messing about.
    Although at least then you can enter 5-shot comps as well if you like.