Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA R10 Mk2 sent to Belfast

BSA R10 Mk2 sent to Belfast

My BSA R10 Mk2 has been sent to Belfast.In royal fails eyes "This parcel has been identified as containing items suspected of being prohibited or dangerous" My gun was on its way back from Darrin XTX after being tuned.I am pig sick,that some jobsworth will just scrap it.Was sent to Belfast yesterday morning,took them a bloody week to make that decision,god only knows when i will get any news from them.My only gun as well.Until they have made a decision,i am in limbo
    Good deals with.. Ian Tolley,roughshooter,billyboy,LUVGUNS,PINNACLE,TTL Paul,UK Neil,whitevanman574,learningcurve + Sarah,David TS,likom12.Sak,straut.tracker73,chris.e,,Loads more,to many to mention..

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    My BSA R10 Mk2 has been sent to Belfast.In royal fails eyes "This parcel has been identified as containing items suspected of being prohibited or dangerous" My gun was on its way back from Darrin XTX after being tuned.I am pig sick,that some jobsworth will just scrap it.Was sent to Belfast yesterday morning,took them a bloody week to make that decision,god only knows when i will get any news from them.My only gun as well.Until they have made a decision,i am in limbo
    They do not make decisions on your property. You have broken no laws. They have illegaly confiscated your property.
    Here is what to do..
    Write them a polite letter explaining that your air rifle is legaly held and was posted within their guidelines. Tell them that they have 48 hours to return it to you or else you will take legal proceedings. If you belong to a shooting organisation speak to them right away. I would also be speaking to my mp about this increasing practice at Royal Mail as what they are doing is illegal.
    Pete.

Where they have use the wording "This parcel has been identified as containing items suspected of being prohibited or dangerous", then I would say it is then down to them to prove its is "prohibited or dangerous" before they can do anything with it and when they find it is not, it should be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    They do not make decisions on your property. You have broken no laws. They have illegaly confiscated your property.
    Here is what to do..
    Write them a polite letter explaining that your air rifle is legaly held and was posted within their guidelines. Tell them that they have 48 hours to return it to you or else you will take legal proceedings. If you belong to a shooting organisation speak to them right away. I would also be speaking to my mp about this increasing practice at Royal Mail as what they are doing is illegal.
    Pete.
    Thanks Pete.
    Will be drafting a letter over the weekend.Will send it to RM and Belfast.Tried to find a phone number for Belfast,but having no luck.It should be a no brainer for any sensable person opening the parcel.Pcp air rifle action,buddy bottle is a givaway,my silencer is also in the box as Darrin was altering it for me....not the sort of thing you want a jobsworth finding,even though it is legal in the UK....Are they going to have a way of filling the bottle,have a crono and pellets,if they decide to check its power...i doubt it

You read about these things happening,but think it wont happen to you
    Good deals with.. Ian Tolley,roughshooter,billyboy,LUVGUNS,PINNACLE,TTL Paul,UK Neil,whitevanman574,learningcurve + Sarah,David TS,likom12.Sak,straut.tracker73,chris.e,,Loads more,to many to mention..

Quote Originally Posted by leaky5 View Post
    Where they have use the wording "This parcel has been identified as containing items suspected of being prohibited or dangerous", then I would say it is then down to them to prove its is "prohibited or dangerous" before they can do anything with it and when they find it is not, it should be returned.
    Exactly,my worry is,they will take the easy option.

Perversely, your sub 12 fpe legal rifle in England can only be held legally on FAC in Belfast.

Odd that they should choose to send such stuff to Belfast.......
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

First off I hope you get it back unharmed.

Is the bottle attached to it ?

The posting rules actually state that gasses & containers are prohibited so if it was X-rayd for air transport the oporater might decide it is the bottle that breaks the rules!! this is why I keep bleating on about helping yourseves by trying to avoid the situation occouring in the first place, by taking measures like marking "surface transport only".

It might transpire that in this case it would not have made a difference, but people need to accept that GUNS ARE DIFFERENT TO ANY OTHER OBJECT yes they can be posted, yes what we do is perfectly legal BUT to 99% of the population a gun, any gun, is not a normal everyday object, and you just need to accept that and go out of your way to help yourself.

When My Vermi was stopped it was the bottle that was the issue, but I must have been lucky because the buyer phoned when it did not arrive the folowing day & I immediatly phoned RM customer services & explained what was in the box they had it sent on by road transport.
    Last edited by angrybear; 16-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Darrin was chatting to me about this rifle...the tank is empty and there is no trigger on the action....

I would be calling RM Monday asking what rules have been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Darrin was chatting to me about this rifle...the tank is empty and there is no trigger on the action....

I would be calling RM Monday asking what rules have been broken.
    Thats right,it was posted correctly withinn royal mail rules.I have just been unlucky that they picked my parcel out.God knows how many rifles i have posted without a problem,Darrins must be into the hundreds.
    The bottom line is,you use the service they say you must use,that or PF 48Hr and it can still get stopped at the x-ray machine by some jobsworth....i say jobsworth,because hundreds must pass through a week,without a problem....if it was not the case,we would be hering more about it on here and elsewhare.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    First off I hope you get it back unharmed.

Is the bottle attached to it ?

The posting rules actually state that gasses & containers are prohibited so if it was X-rayd for air transport the oporater might decide it is the bottle that breaks the rules!! this is why I keep bleating on about helping yourseves by trying to avoid the situation occouring in the first place, by taking measures like marking "surface transport only".

It might transpire that in this case it would not have made a difference, but people need to accept that GUNS ARE DIFFERENT TO ANY OTHER OBJECT yes they can be posted, yes what we do is perfectly legal BUT to 99% of the population a gun, any gun, is not a normal everyday object, and you just need to accept that and go out of your way to help yourself.

When My Vermi was stopped it was the bottle that was the issue, but I must have been lucky because the buyer phoned when it did not arrive the folowing day & I immediatly phoned RM customer services & explained what was in the box they had it sent on by road transport.
    Had a gun go by road for the same reason,some air in cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Perversely, your sub 12 fpe legal rifle in England can only be held legally on FAC in Belfast.

Odd that they should choose to send such stuff to Belfast.......
    Typical ,it just goes to show laws & rules are for US not the people who make em!

Euch, sorry to hear this OP, and I hope you get the gun back asap (and unmolested)

Next time I have to send a gun, I think I'll enclose a letter stating it's not prohibited, and legal to send etc... then if the jobsworths do open the box, it might help them make the right decision...

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Euch, sorry to hear this OP, and I hope you get the gun back asap (and unmolested)

Next time I have to send a gun, I think I'll enclose a letter stating it's not prohibited, and legal to send etc... then if the jobsworths do open the box, it might help them make the right decision...
    Thanks mate...It would be more good if you just stuck a label on the front of the box,telling these jobsworth
    the contents are not prohibited.Even that wouldint work i dont think.If the person operating that x-ray machine,is anything like the jobsworth in our local post office....your label could take up the full box...she would still stop it.God it would take another thread to describe this yin!!

Whistler,
    There is an interesting article on this very subject in last months Gunmart, posted by the Shooters rights assoc. It might be worth getting in touch with them too.
    Pete.

I avoid the post office like the plague, the plastic screens in there are not to stop robbers they are to stop you throwing your parcels at the incompetent dimwit at the other side. The woman in the one near us wouldn't issue me a new tax disc until I give her my old one. I also bought a fishing licence in there and a few days later it turned up followed by another 2 the day after.
    Last edited by treecreeper; 17-11-2013 at 01:12 PM.