Thread: Walther LGR

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Walther LGR

Could anyone recommend someone who repairs the old single stroke Walther LGR target rifle.
    In particular the trigger will not engage.I would be pleased for any help.
    Regards Pete

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Walther

Sadly we've just lost our Walther expert this year, so you may have a bit of a hunt to find any one who could be recomended for old Walthers, I've heard well of Laurie who resides on here who could help if it does actualy need a repair, but I don't know him.

BUT, it sound as if its only adjustment, Walther triggers old and new have a habit of going out of best adjustment if set up finely and regularly used, yours has the ring of the sear engagement requiring attention. Having shot and looked after Walthers for years and still do, they have fabulous triggers when set finely but then once in a while they go over and need a tweak, this sounds like a matter of resetting the "point" when its gone over, the LGR's did it, the LG300 did it, and the new LG 400 does it! And the KK's!!

If you have an LGR handbook, or if not go to the current Walther site www.carl-walther.de and enter the "Sport" portal, then the "Media centre", and there you will find a copy.
    The screw you want is no. 20, its the one of the three closest to the front of the trigger blade, its slightly angled. Screw it out (ACW) half a turn, that should allow the trigger to set, if not turn out another half turn until it does, if it does not set then its either been seriously fiddled with or it has a real problem. When you have it setting, then screw it back in (CW) a 1/16th of a turn at a time until it will not set again and then go back (ACW) a 1/16th which should be setting. When its set, check by bumping the stock with your fist and it should not go off, if it does then take it back out another 1/16th. That should then be set so it cocks, and it should be reasonably crisp, and safe.
    Good Luck
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thank you Robin for your help. I will look into trigger adjustment.
    Regards Pete

If it's not the adjustment then it could be the puffer washer on the hammer has reverted & crumbled got into the trigger causing a malfunction.

The other common fault is the sear that holds the hammer back breaks off, it's difficult to see making it harder to find the fault.

I have lots of service parts from the LGR rifle & other Walthers up to & including the LP400 pistol, valve seals, breech seals etc, I'm unsure if I have sears for the LGR still though but with luck you won't need one.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Walther

Wonky has beaten me to it! I was just about to come back and say if its not the adjustment its likely the puffer!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks to you both again, it would be good to keep the old rifle going.
    Regards Pete

Walther

Hi All
    I have tried the trigger screw adjustment without success, still will not hold even after 2 full turns, the trigger latches but the gun fires when pushing the cocking arm forwards. I have also checked the washers, and replaced the washer 71 on the exploded diagram which was breaking up. Is this washer the puffer washer? If not could you tell me the correct number so that I can identify it. The sear which I am assuming is item 948 does not appear to be broken although there are signs of wear on it. The trigger itself works and latches fine.
    Many thanks again for your help.
    Pete

Might be worth contacting Chris Lacey in Bishops Waltham. PM me for his number
    Regards
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by corbett View Post
    Hi All
    I have tried the trigger screw adjustment without success, still will not hold even after 2 full turns, the trigger latches but the gun fires when pushing the cocking arm forwards. I have also checked the washers, and replaced the washer 71 on the exploded diagram which was breaking up. Is this washer the puffer washer? If not could you tell me the correct number so that I can identify it. The sear which I am assuming is item 948 does not appear to be broken although there are signs of wear on it. The trigger itself works and latches fine.
    Many thanks again for your help.
    Pete
    Yes the puffer washer is Pt 71 iirc.

We are talking about the let off/break point/sear engagement screw not the weight screw are we? Screw 20 is the one!

The cocking lever, once the sears have engaged the hammer has nothing else to do with the trigger mechanism so the fact the rifle discharges when it's closing indicates problems in the trigger group area or and the assembly as a whole.
    I'm afraid that's as far as I can help without seeing the action.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

LGR

As Wonky says its a bit tricky from afar, also he mentions the trigger weight, and although we are groping in the dark I suspect it may still be trigger adjustment.
    Just to clear the possibility of the trigger having been well and truly fiddled, let's put everthing into a base safe setting. Just try upping the weight incase its so light it goes off with vibration, turn screw 18 clockwise, give it at least a turn, even two. Then the trigger first stage movement in case that has been set back so tight it over rules the sear engagment, screw 19 anti clock wise, and again give a good amount, one or two full turns. And just to be sure on the engagement take out 20 anti clockwise another half turn. That should set it as a creepy, long travel, heavy trigger, but it should be safe and hold.
    If that sorts it you then need to reset the trigger to a nice setting with sear engagment, weight, and travel. If not its not an internet advice issue, and needs to go to some one who is familiar with LGR's, although I doubt its any more than adjustments. With old Bill gone which was local, every one else I know is the other end of the country for you.
    Best of luck
    Robin

I just thought I would thank you all for your help, the adjustments have made the rifle cock and fire. Wonky Donkey is looking for a part for me, but at least the rifle may be used. Trigger still needs tweeking but not tooooo much. Regards Pete

LGR

Pete
    Glad its all working again, looks like it had been well and truly fiddled. You are in Southampton which is just down the road from Bisley. Even if you don't want to enter, if you have a day out to the British Air Championships at the end of Feb I can set up your trigger accurately and show you how to do it. I go prepared as I look after a team of shooters, PM me if you decide to go.