Thread: vintage airguns website.

vintage airguns website.

as above, closing down due to lack of interest, great site, fab pics and info, great loss to vintage collectors, Ray.

Such a shame, but I guess it is understandable if the site is underused. I have visited it from time to time and found it usefull.
    Pete.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Yes its a great pity. There is more illustrative information about airguns on that website than any other I know - even muzzle.de doesn't come close. This highlights one of the weaknesses of the internet as a permanent source of information - the information is only there as long as circumstances permit. At least with good old fashioned books there is always a permanent record somewhere.

Great Shame

My last post on there was Oct 2012 and the following post on that thread was Sept 2013 not sure if you can receive email notification that someone else has responded

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Is this the site? http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/a-z/

Anyhow--I want to ask a few of the pistols but 'll do it on another thread.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

What a shame! A fabulous collection of pics and information that represents much hard work.

As John says, you can't beat a good old book for long-term reliability!

I'm not suggesting it has any relevance at all to Peter, but my attitude with my own vintage forums from the start (four years ago) has been, in no particular order:

1. Don't expect anyone to post and you won't be disappointed when they don't.
    2. Pick a platform that has a long record of endurance (Network 54 has been going 14 years, or two centuries in internet time!).
    3. Keep backups of the photos etc and be prepared to rebuild it at some point, or hand them over to someone who will.
    4. Expect to pay out some money each year to keep it running, but keep your fixed overheads as low as possible (ie. less than £40 a year in total, roughly).
    5. Give other enthusiasts that you trust the 'keys' so it's not dependent on you to run smoothly.
    6. Don't expect it to make any profit now or in the future and make it an open resource for all collectors, not a private one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    What a shame! A fabulous collection of pics and information that represents much hard work.

As John says, you can't beat a good old book for long-term reliability!

I'm not suggesting it has any relevance at all to Peter, but my attitude with my own vintage forums from the start (four years ago) has been, in no particular order:

1. Don't expect anyone to post and you won't be disappointed when they don't.
    2. Pick a platform that has a long record of endurance (Network 54 has been going 14 years, or two centuries in internet time!).
    3. Keep backups of the photos etc and be prepared to rebuild it at some point, or hand them over to someone who will.
    4. Expect to pay out some money each year to keep it running, but keep your fixed overheads as low as possible (ie. less than £40 a year in total, roughly).
    5. Give other enthusiasts that you trust the 'keys' so it's not dependent on you to run smoothly.
    6. Don't expect it to make any profit now or in the future and make it an open resource for all collectors, not a private one.
    Hello Danny,

Just like to express my gratitude for all the time and effort you have put into maintaining the valuable resources you have created.

If I'm ever researching on-line for anything BSA or Diana related your sites are the very first place I visit.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Danny,

Just like to express my gratitude for all the time and effort you have put into maintaining the valuable resources you have created.

If I'm ever researching on-line for anything BSA or Diana related your sites are the very first place I visit.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian. Thank you for your support, it's much appreciated.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Always a loss when a site like that packs it in.
    IIRC, they closed down once before, and it took a while for the word to get around when they re-appeared.

I have seen other forums that had done the same, and for whatever reason(s), they never really regained their popularity the second time 'round, and subsequently faded out of existence (for the second time).

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    To be honest, I wasn't aware of this site. Shame if it were to go. The bloke who hosts my website charges £30 a year, couldn't we raise a collection of some sort to keep this alive for a couple of years? I'd bung in a couple of quid......

Dave

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    To be honest, I wasn't aware of this site. Shame if it were to go. The bloke who hosts my website charges £30 a year, couldn't we raise a collection of some sort to keep this alive for a couple of years? I'd bung in a couple of quid......

Dave
    Never heard of this site, will send a tenner though if it helps to keep it going for a year. Not a lot but it's a couple of tins of pellets and a few hours plinking to a pensioner.

Regards

Chippendale (with clothes)

I've occasionally looked at Peter's site over the years, but not on a particularly regular basis, however, it will be a pity to see it disappear altogether. I would think the time and effort maintaining it must be considerable, let alone the cost of the site.
    My own album pages are currently hosted on a free site, hence the adverts, but will soon, hopefully be on my own site without adverts, but it's nowhere near the comprehensive site run by Peter, as it's basically limited to my own interests, with the occasional contribution from others, and will cost a fraction of the time effort and money Peter's site must demand, and will not have the upload facility either.

Thanks Peter,for a very interesting website.

I'm also really sorry to hear this site is closing.I think restrictive trading and postal practices has done a fair amount of damage to the hobby. When Pete first started up his site I'd visit it almost every day - I was also involved with quite a bit of NZ/UK trading. Now,it is hard work even getting pellets out of the UK(and USA).Postal services don't like carrying "ammunition'.Jeez.
    My advice(to anyone who hasn't done so) print off the Guns Review 100 Years of Airgun Patents".
    Trev