Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entry level target pistol

I hate to be controversial here guys but if I see 'try as many guns as you can' one more time I am going to cry! I really don't think that there is much merit in this premise. I honestly believe that a relationship can be developed with ANY match pistol given the right adjustment and, crucially, a reasonable period of time. Trying other people's guns gives you a chance to try their setting and one may come close to your ideal setting. Does that make that the 'right' gun? I would suggest that other factors (price,visual appeal,availability,access to servicing etc) are far more important that a ten minute shot of someone else's gun.

Any quality match gun will shoot through the same hole all day, every day. The personal balance, grip etc can be customised on ANYTHING!

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Eric fwb 65; 27-11-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Hi,

there are some reasonable yet cheap options - HW40 already mentioned is one although the grip is not great but that can be sorted. Another is the daisy 717 - needs a trigger mod and grips but these are fairly easy to do (Search don nygord) and with those done it's not bad - Don I think won an Olympic silver medal with one and certainly won lots of medals shooting one. I have one which I have mod'ed and it shoots well - I've shot 550+ with it and that's about as well as I ever do (PB564).

Having said that I would go with an old 'proper' target pistol - I have an old airmatch that I love and still shoot pretty much better than anything else. Something like that would be less than £200.

Frog

Thanks Frog, sounding like old match pistol is the way to go. Has anyone seen any FWB's 65 or 90's around for sensible money?

Red face Starter pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Eric fwb 65 View Post
    I hate to be controversial here guys but if I see 'try as many guns as you can' one more time I am going to cry! I really don't think that there is much merit in this premise. I honestly believe that a relationship can be developed with ANY match pistol given the right adjustment and, crucially, a reasonable period of time. Trying other people's guns gives you a chance to try their setting and one may come close to your ideal setting. Does that make that the 'right' gun? I would suggest that other factors (price,visual appeal,availability,access to servicing etc) are far more important that a ten minute shot of someone else's gun.

Any quality match gun will shoot through the same hole all day, every day. The personal balance, grip etc can be customised on ANYTHING!

Just my thoughts.
    Sorry Eric, I didn't mean to make you cry!

I still say try as many as you can. As you say there are many factors to consider, that's why it is best to try as many as possible. What suits one person may not suit another.

True the better quality (more expensive) pistols can be adjusted to suit most shooters needs. You can have a grip made to measure if your pockets are deep enough! The cheaper pistols don't usually offer such a full range of adjustments.

The o/p has a budget of £250.

I have seen many beginners rush out and buy an unsuitable pistol and then struggle to progress and become disheartened with the sport.
    "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours"

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    There's good advice already been given from both RobinC & Silver surfer...
    However I sense the desire to purchase your own is strong my young apprentice
    Seriously though the guys are spot on, but the good news is that provided you buy a quality gun to start with, such as the FWB's, Tau-7, FAS, etc - you actually won't make a costly mistake even if you decide to upgrade or sell up even after a few months as quality guns such as these will always sell and if you've bought shrewdly might even make a small return on your investment...
    ATB
    Harvey