Thread: Webley Tempest: English versus Turkish (Photos)

Webley Tempest: English versus Turkish (Photos)

Further to various threads that have described the visual differences between the English and Turkish Tempest, find below some photos showing the differences between my Brummie Tempest (0.22/narrow trigger) and the Turkish Tempest (0.177/Wide Trigger).

English versus Turkish

Glossy/Roll Pins versus Matt/Solid Pins:

Glossy versus Matt Trigger Guard:

Stamped versus Printed Detail:

Small Screws/Chamfered Barrel Edge versus Larger Screws/Sharp Barrel Edge:

Chamfered Barrel Edge versus Sharp Barrel Edge:
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 27-11-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Are the fasteners now a standard metric thread versus the old BA?

Quote Originally Posted by richtel View Post
    Are the fasteners now a standard metric thread versus the old BA?
    Good question - I don't know. That might explain why the screw heads are larger on the Turkish sights. The screw heads on the handle are also larger on the Turkish. Another small difference is that the cut-out/notch under the nose cone, is 6mm longer on the Turkish (provides more clearance of the barrel when cocking).
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 27-11-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: cut out is 6mm longer on Turkish

Hello,

Iv'e had a couple of 'Turkish' Tempests in both calibres for some time now and have been able to compare their general performance with my 'Brummie' pistol over a reasonable time.

I have come to the conclusion that although the 'Brummie' pistol is slightly better made, the 'Turkish' model is consistently more accurate. Both have acceptable trigger weights, but the wider trigger blade on the 'Turkish' pistols appears to improve the let off.

However, the biggest improvement in appearance and general handling for me has come from fitting replacement wood grips bought via BBS from AIRGUNNER.177. These not only look great, but also fill the hand much like an anatomical grip and consequently make for a more consistent hold.

The foresight on the 'Turkish' pistol is slightly larger than on the 'British' pistol, but both are smaller than I would prefer.

I do like the orange centre you have added to your foresight, which must aid quicker target acquisition especially under lower light conditions.

The link below is to a picture of my 'Turkish' Tempests fitted with replacement walnut grips.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps430deac8.jpg

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 27-11-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    ....The foresight on the 'Turkish' pistol is slightly larger than on the 'British' pistol, but both are smaller than I would prefer.

I do like the orange centre you have added to your foresight, which must aid quicker target acquisition especially under lower light conditions.

The link below is to a picture of my 'Turkish' Tempests fitted with replacement walnut grips....
    Hi Brian, that is interesting about the foresight; its the opposite on my guns, it is smaller on the Turkish hence why I added the orange (the used English one came with this on so I adopted it).

I used Revell (models) Day Glow Orange Acrylic, need to build up in coats.

Those grips look good (I prefer the glossy English to the Matt Turkish) so will consider those from Airgunner....however I have first to sort out a recurrent problem on the Turkish! Regardless of finding the smallest pellet to properly fit the barrel (Geco Dynamit Nobel), the breach seal has failed again. There is quite a lot of play between the barrel and the alloy casting so that seal needs to hold the barrel firm...which is does not, hence one day it shoots on target and other days its miles off. I have now carefully filed the end (edge) of the barrel as that could well have torn the breach seal. In contrast the fit of the barrel in the casting on the English Tempest is far better and the seal holds it all firm under the stirrup (unlike my Turkish).
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 27-11-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Geco not RWS Dynamit Nobel

Hello Des,

Ooooooooooops! You are quite right, the foresight on the 'Turkish pistol is the smaller, but there isn't very much in it.

Like you, I prefer the glossy grips fitted to the 'Brummie' Tempest to those fitted to the 'Turkish' version, but neither can compare with their wood replacements. Original Webley Tempests distributed in the U.S. by Beeman could be bought with walnut grips so historically they are not out of place.

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing problems with breech seals which has not been a problem on either of my current 'Turkish' pistols. Also, there is very little movement in the barrel assembly of either pistol even before they are secured under the stirrup latch.

You may recall the very first pistol I bought was severely under powered and exhibited some damage to the breech seal when cocked, although not sufficient to cause a failure. The barrel on this particular pistol also became slightly loose within its plastic moulding which obviously didn't help with this problem. I'm pleased to say both of my current pistols have now had many hundreds of pellets through them with no such problems becoming apparent.

Regards

Brian

The Turkish Tempest is back up and running and shooting very well. I fitted a new breach seal, but having already chewed its way through two 'Turkish' seals, I custom fitted a new 'English' Tempest seal. The diameter of the English seal is larger than the Turkish seal and so it had to be carefully sanded down until the outside diameter was a snug fit. It is now a better fit than the original seal - which used to fall out on occasion. The slighly beefier seal helps support the barrel; which on the Turkish Tempest is a poor fit in the alloy casting. I have used feeler gauges to measure the gap between the barrel and the alloy casting on the following Webley pistols:
    New Turkish Tempest - 8 Thou
    English Tempest - 3 Thou
    Premier Mk II - 4 Thou
    Junior Mk II - 2 Thou
    The relatively poor fit on the Turkish Tempest means that consistant barrel position (aim from the rear sight) is totally dependant on the support from the seal. If the seal is weak, the barrel will not centralise consistantly or maybe shift when the pistol is fired; this might explain the chewed up seals. The better fit of all the rather elderly English Webleys means that the casting helps centralise the barrel and minimise movement when the pistol is fired. The smaller diameter seal on the Turkish Tempest does not seem to be a good idea.

Here are my observations - Post 11

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Webley-Tempest