Plenty of good advice above... and on this forum. The advent of digital photography and the interweb means that most problems can be sorted with a little help from kind strangers as I have often found when working on airguns and my old heap of a car.

My 'two pennorth' is get some decent tools. A good quality T-handle screwdriver with lots of parallel-sided bits, some decent Allen keys, and some parallel punches are essential - you may need a set of small good quality spanners as well. I know the horny-handed swamp-dwellers and mountain-men will scorn this idea, but the first thing you should do is build a good sturdy spring compressor. A sash-cramp can 'do' at a pinch but they are not as stable as a proper spring-compressor and I prefer the wooden construction as it isn't going to damage the rifle's finish if there is a slip. Even if the rifle has a spring that can be pushed in with body weight, the compressor gives some much more control that it will save you a slot of time and it is very much safer.

If you buy an old BSA Meteor or SMK, try my ye olde tuning guide... cheap and surprisingly effective, this is what bigtoe01 and other technical wizards call a 'spit and polish' tune - but it will still transform the rifle...

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-Gun-Tuning