Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webley Fans

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hi Brian. It's a fair point, and maybe I'm just a peculiarly blinkered collector, but the BSA bike stuff holds no interest for me whatever! Whenever I look on the auction site for BSA bits, the BSA-related bike stuff is just a nuisance when it comes up in searches. The other day I waded through ads for BSA-branded spanners (looking for you know what!), before realising it was a needle in a haystack.

Maybe it's because when I was a lad in the '70s, BSA was already a busted flush. It was all Raleigh in my day...

Hi Danny,

OK. No need to rub it in !

Regards

Brian

Now a Webley percussion revolver would be a nice think to have to go with the airguns, but a fan never but each to their own.

There is no telling where "value" is

Rarity, demand, perceived value; how do we qualify or justify the dollar value of anything??

Personalised number plates, well there is a rort if there ever was one IMO

Try this one and work out where the value is http://www.platesusa.com/14mplate.htm

5million?? blardy mad. I will stencil the number 1 on the front and rear of your vehicle for a grand or two and in the colour of your choice and you can pocket the difference
    Last edited by slow_runner; 10-12-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Rarity, demand, perceived value; how do we qualify or justify the dollar value of anything??

Personalised number plates, well there is a rort if there ever was one IMO

Try this one and work out where the value is http://www.platesusa.com/14mplate.htm

5million?? blardy mad. I will stencil the number 1 on the front and rear of your vehicle for a grand or two and in the colour of your choice and you can pocket the difference
    It can all be wiped out with the stroke of a pen. I used to deal with a Maltese MP who had a white Rolls Corniche convertible with the plate '28'. Then the government changed the rules and it became something far more mundane with a couple of digits, then a pair of zeroes and finally the 2 and the 8. I've no desire to own such a thing but totally approve of Swansea selling them to the highest bidder because the ownership of such a plate is indeed purely vanity. I'd feel better about it if I thought that the government would put the money to some good use rather than giving it away to other nations that don't appear to need it.

Start the day with a good rant, then breakfast.
    ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Snap, so was mine, but can't remember which particular model.
    My Father had a 'BSA Scout' car, reg.no. AFG 40. Wish I had it now.
    Hello David,

I found this old advert and a picture of a similar bike to my first BSA two wheeler which I received for my 7th birthday (secondhand) together with its predecessor a red 'Gresham Flyer' tricycle.

I remember one of my first attempts at two wheel cycling involved crashing through a large hedge while looking behind to see why my dad had sent me solo without my consent.

Ring any bells ?

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04c9c6eb.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps184d380e.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9dd92044.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psf9bd6578.jpg

Regards

Brian

Mine was nothing like the 'Para Bike' Brian.
    It had cable brakes and a more modern bike look, with straight crossbar and semi straight handlebars. I believe it was bought around 1956.

I expected your BSA bikes would have been more like <this one>. And that goes for both of you, Brian and David.

Credit goes to Colin for the photo.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Very similar in style, Danny, painted blue with Sturmey Archer 3 speed gears and a Lucas friction drive dynamo and lights, plus metal chainguard and mudguards.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Now a Webley percussion revolver would be a nice think to have to go with the airguns, but a fan never but each to their own.
    As it happens the problem is I've already got most the Webley bits I'd want to own, and as the fan was near the end of my list I decided to get it. Just got my hands on it and I am glad I did.

l am so glad you have got the fan and are realy happy with it. not my type of thing as l have said before but each to their own, another peice to your Webley collectables jigsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    As it happens the problem is I've already got most the Webley bits I'd want to own, and as the fan was near the end of my list I decided to get it. Just got my hands on it and I am glad I did.
    Congratulations on winning your latest Webley related acquisition. These things are always a matter of personal interest or taste, but whatever happens, items such as this won't be getting any cheaper to buy in the future.

Regards

Brian

Yes, I can see it is a bit of a strange purchase to some; fair enough. That said I also got a nice condition Webley 'Webtool' 12 ton jack off the same site a couple of weeks back. Glad they didn't make tanks or aeroplanes or I'd need to move to a warehouse.

Webley 'Webtool' 12 ton jack
    Now even I would draw the line at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Now even I would draw the line at that.
    Yes, I probably should have too