Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Fans

Out of interest, the Webley fan eventually sold for £470 plus postage (£22) with 6 bids.

Regards

Brian

Fan-tastic, just whats needed to cool down a warm Webley barrel.

£470 Bleedin Rotate

Think about it - its the same sort of money as an entirely average Mk.2 service that you can get anywhere. For an interesting and genuine Webley artefact in superb order. Not so fan ciful methinks?

Starting this thread has prompted me to re-read the related section of Chris' Thrale's excellent Webley Air Rifle book which not only documents the history and variations of the fan, but also goes some way to explaining their rarity as not surprisingly the majority were destined for export. Apparently, there have been several other fans apart from the Webley Auction example that sold fairly recently for similarly high prices, so maybe not such a surprise after all.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Think about it - its the same sort of money as an entirely average Mk.2 service that you can get anywhere. For an interesting and genuine Webley artefact in superb order. Not so fan ciful methinks?
    l would still sooner have a Webley Service than a Webley fan any day no mater how rare they are.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    l would still sooner have a Webley Service than a Webley fan any day no mater how rare they are.
    Me too. I can sort of understand the oil can/bottle prices since at least they are airgun-related. But unless your collection is related to the factory's output generally, or perhaps antique fans of all types, I can't see the attraction of a Webly-branded fan.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Me too. I can sort of understand the oil can/bottle prices since at least they are airgun-related. But unless your collection is related to the factory's output generally, or perhaps antique fans of all types, I can't see the attraction of a Webly-branded fan.
    You're not a Webley collector Danny, otherwise you would appreciate the desirability of such an item.
    If I wasn't in the process of downsizing my collection, I would certainly have been in the market for such a rare item in such superb condition, and as it was, I had to severely restrain myself to not put a bid in. Who knows what it would have made with another bidder in the auction.

The final bidding price has been compared to a number of other modern articles/services, but guess the question is how many of these fans exist worldwide - probably very few. I did not read the description...I assume it was fully serviceable

Anyone fancy a 'vent-axia' in .25 calibre ?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    You're not a Webley collector Danny, otherwise you would appreciate the desirability of such an item.
    If I wasn't in the process of downsizing my collection, I would certainly have been in the market for such a rare item in such superb condition, and as it was, I had to severely restrain myself to not put a bid in. Who knows what it would have made with another bidder in the auction.
    I expect you're right, David. But I'm a keen collector of all things Falke. If Falke had made an electric toaster (240v), say, I would be interested. But not £500 interested, I'm guessing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The final bidding price has been compared to a number of other modern articles/services, but guess the question is how many of these fans exist worldwide - probably very few. I did not read the description...I assume it was fully serviceable
    It was.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I expect you're right, David. But I'm a keen collector of all things Falke. If Falke had made an electric toaster (240v), say, I would be interested. But not £500 interested, I'm guessing.
    Hi Danny,

I remember when I was a kid my first two wheeler bike was a BSA and wondered if that might have been of more interest to you today.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

I remember when I was a kid my first two wheeler bike was a BSA and wondered if that might have been of more interest to you today.

Regards

Brian
    Snap, so was mine, but can't remember which particular model.
    My Father had a 'BSA Scout' car, reg.no. AFG 40. Wish I had it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian. It's a fair point, and maybe I'm just a peculiarly blinkered collector, but the BSA bike stuff holds no interest for me whatever! Whenever I look on the auction site for BSA bits, the BSA-related bike stuff is just a nuisance when it comes up in searches. The other day I waded through ads for BSA-branded spanners (looking for you know what!), before realising it was a needle in a haystack.

Maybe it's because when I was a lad in the '70s, BSA was already a busted flush. It was all Raleigh in my day...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery