Thread: scope set up

scope set up

Good evening folks

Im looking for a little advise from you clued up people im very much new to air gun scope set up so was wondering if you can help me!! I was trying to set my rifle up up but wondered if im doing it right?

I was told the best distance to light the scope up is 20yards (60ft) as this gives you good short and long range is this true? Thats kinda what i want so i dont have to keep adjusting the scope! I put the target 10yards and adjusted windage until i was centre need to do the elevation yet..

Any help would be great guys

Thanks..

It depends what you want to use it for. 20 yards is OK for ratting, but most people zero at 35 yards, (.177) for general hunting, and target shooting.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Thanks for the reply gus

Its a pro sport in .22 i guess im looking for a happy medium where i can shoot at short distance and longish using the cross hairs bang centre if thas possible? I watched a clip on youtub about it and the guy said this is the best range!

The clip is airgun acadamy use tajectory to sight in scope give it a look i will try to post a link!

zero at 16 or 35 yrds will give you half inch change in poi, from 10 to 40 yrds, with .177, according to hawke chairgun program. its a pretty interesting free download and you compare against many different variables , hth, rich.
    gat gun .25 cal

Heres the link guys....

www.youtube.com/w...

zero on what your comfortable with . trajectory of pellet doesn't change so it just a case of having your ret somewhere usefull for your ranges . I zero @ 25yds and that more than less give me cross hairs from 20 -30yds all my ranges are below crosshairs. by all means use chairgun but you can't beat going out and making your rangecard for your set up as aimpoints can vary a little. also set your windage out to atleast 30 yds ,I check my windage on a calm at 40 and 45yds.you may find a click here and there that you wouldn't notice at 25yds.
    Last edited by tugg; 03-12-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

Ok guys..

So i need to put the target out to about 45yards setting the windage? Wow thats quite a distance compaired to my 10yard set up

When i was trying to set up a 20yards i seemed to be a bit random! Think im a poo shot guys

Ok so its..

Put target out to 40 or 45yards get windage hitting in-line of marker dot then move target back to say 25yards and adjust elevation until hitting marker dot dead centre with crosshairs on it.. is that right chaps?

You can download a free program from the Hawke scopes web site called chairgun, it will show the tragectory of the pellet in the 4 common airgun calibres, to be spot on you need to know the muzzle energy/velocity of the pellet using a chrono but even without it will give you a good idea whats happening.

With a .22 zero for 27yds & the pellet will be within 1/2" (+/-) from about 9yds to 30yds.

With your existing 10yd zero put a target at 20 & 30 yds and it should be a bit high at 20 then a bit low at 30 that shows the tragectory of the pellet in a gentle arc.

the actual grouping will depend if the rifle "likes" the type of pellet this is very important! you need to find the brand your rifle shoots most accuratly.
    Last edited by angrybear; 04-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fog horn View Post
    Ok guys..

So i need to put the target out to about 45yards setting the windage? Wow thats quite a distance compaired to my 10yard set up

When i was trying to set up a 20yards i seemed to be a bit random! Think im a poo shot guys

Ok so its..

Put target out to 40 or 45yards get windage hitting in-line of marker dot then move target back to say 25yards and adjust elevation until hitting marker dot dead centre with crosshairs on it.. is that right chaps?
    I would suggest much practice at shorter ranges until your confidence and groupings improve. Then gradually extend the range as you get better. If you start at too long a range you may find it a bit soul destroying and any sight wind will have a more marked effect.

I think your right buddy i set up the scope at 20yards and put a few nice groups in with a few slightly off pellets not to sure if the barrel is liking the webly accupells! Might have to try a few other brands..

Guys i have given the chairgun a look (downloaded on my mobile) but ive got to say it all looks a bit complecated to me or am i just being daft!!

Quote Originally Posted by fog horn View Post
    Guys i have given the chairgun a look (downloaded on my mobile) but ive got to say it all looks a bit complecated to me or am i just being daft!!
    For some one new to shooting chairgun will confuse you until you understand what everything means and does, if you have a PC then it's worth downloading it onto that and then take your self to YouTube and watch some tutorials on how to use chairgun, si pittaway does some good videos on setting scopes up using chairgun that are easy to follow and understand
    Here's one for example
    http://youtu.be/y56nwZxSnBc

RS
    HW 97KT .22 SFS Stage 2 Tuned_HW100KT .177_Daystate Regal LH .22_Daystate huntsman LH .177

Thanks mate

Airgun shooting has moved on alot since my days as a lad plinking and can shooting in the back garden but i will give this chaigun a go and hopefully improve my shooting

Well theres two routes you can take at this point, the chairgun route or the work it out your self route

The work it out your self route will involve getting a mill dot scope and setting targets out at different ranges, and either remembering which mill dot to use for different ranges or write it down for reference

The chairgun route will involve a millldot scope again but will work it out for you with the correct values entered into the program, and also allow you to print off a scope cap reticle to allow quick reference to aim points

Thats just for starters theres much more involved and plenty to learn

RS
    HW 97KT .22 SFS Stage 2 Tuned_HW100KT .177_Daystate Regal LH .22_Daystate huntsman LH .177

erm, btw, i was only mentioning chairgun to give an idea, and it does give a good idea ..
    in practice, i have shot my rifle at different ranges and marked on the scope side focus how many mildots difference for the correct aim point at a certain magnification.
    atb, rich.
    gat gun .25 cal