Thread: Removal of HW98 barrel sleeve

Removal of HW98 barrel sleeve

How easy would it be to remove the sleeve from the HW98 barrel? I can see the 2 grub screws, but would it be loctited in place, or be a push fit onto the barrel?

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

re

Dont, just sell it then buy a hw95 and go blow the rest ov the cash on a night out.

grub screws out then some heat

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    How easy would it be to remove the sleeve from the HW98 barrel? I can see the 2 grub screws, but would it be loctited in place, or be a push fit onto the barrel?

Cheers.
    I'll buy it off you if its surplus to requirements!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    or I will do a swap for a 95K barrel ...

You can buy the sleeves for 80+quid each from Knibbs...

they are way to heavy imo, a 20mm OD one is miles better

Thanks everyone.

Plan is to convert my HW98 barrel, to a HW95k barrel and add a silencer, but I would like to keep most of the mass and thickness of the 98 barrel, I really need a silenced rifle for the garden.

so:

Option 1. Buy a 95k barrel, and chop the 98 sleeve down to fit over.
    Option 2. Buy a 95k barrel, and buy some 21mm OD tube, so the front swivel fits properly. Will need a full blue or powder coat. (idea from bigtoe )
    Option 3. Get my 98 barrel shorterned and threaded. Been advised against this.

I know option 2/3 will be cheaper, but I can get a better finish at home with option 1....
    Thanks - Geoff.

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    As most of the noise will be action noise, it may not be as quiet as you are hoping for. Why not just use a 95k barrel and silencer? It may not have the same "look" but will be easier and means that you won't trash the 98 barrel setup.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Thanks everyone.

Plan is to convert my HW98 barrel, to a HW95k barrel and add a silencer, but I would like to keep most of the mass and thickness of the 98 barrel, I really need a silenced rifle for the garden.

so:

Option 2. Buy a 95k barrel, and buy some 21mm OD tube, so the front swivel fits properly. Will need a full blue or powder coat. (idea from bigtoe )

I know option 2/3 will be cheaper, but I can get a better finish at home with option 1....
    get a sling mount to fit the prosport, this will fit a 20mm tube, PM me if you want to know more.

When I borrowed a 95k to try, I got a bit of muzzle flip, hence I bought the HW98, and I dont seem to have this issue with my grouping now.

This is why I want to add the weight to the 95k barrel, and drop it into my HW98. Think it wil make a nice hybrid

PS, thanks Bigtoe, and I meant to ask earlier, heating up my 98 barrel shroud to remove, will this destroy my existing blueing?
    Thanks - Geoff.

When I borrowed a 95k to try, I got a bit of muzzle flip, hence I bought the HW98, and I dont seem to have this issue with my grouping now.

This is why I want to add the weight to the 95k barrel, and drop it into my HW98. Think it wil make a nice hybrid

PS, thanks Bigtoe, and I meant to ask earlier, heating up my 98 barrel shroud to remove, will this destroy my existing bluing?
    Geoff it should not need to get that hot. I suggest getting 2 pieces of softwood in a vice ready to grip the barrel and shroud, heat up along the barrel/shroud and try gripping them between the softwood jaws with a gentle twist action eventually with just enough heat the barrel will loosen and allow you to untwist the barrel leaving the shroud in place.

I have one to do here, the 98 shroud is to heavy for me, im going to turn up a new 20mm od one...much better

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    when i removed one, it scratched the barrel underneath, so personally I'd just buy a 95 barrel...

Moderators make little difference to the report of a springer; there is a stronger case for their use on PCP rifles.

Noise may be better controlled by using a back stop that lessens impact noise (if shooting paper targets).

Thanks everyone.

so:

/// *Now*: HW95KS (.177) /// HW45 (.177) - FOR SALE /// \\\ *Then*: Pro Sport (.177) \\\ HW97K (.22) \\\ HW100KT (.177) \\\ SMK XS20 (.22) \\\

The 95k I borrowed was definitely quieter than the 98, I think its because I'm shooting towards a gap in 2 walls, so the sound bounces all around.

My backstop at the far end of the garden is a carpet book, very quiet.

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.