Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to think of this,

Not sure what to think of this,

Not sure what to think of this video, the guy doesnt seem all there to me, this is obviously going to cause issues, maybe even effecting airguns somewhere down the line...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evdaxKwfM_M

honestly speaking 3d printing sounds great, i can think of loads of additional parts i could design for my airgun, im honestly thinking to invest.
    What do you guys think of 3d printing and the guy in the video?

andy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-police-2012

I was reading this today, seem to remember there is some info on 3d printers in there and what they can make

BTW this is the newest update, was uploaded just yesterday

I didn't see him printing the ammo

Usual scaremongering. If someone wanted a gun they could buy one, including the ammo, far more cheaply than a 3d printer.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

i was born i '65. i listened to tales my dad relating his childhood and although he came from a privileged family in a rural area people/locals accepted youngsters bearing arms'.Back then airguns were for kids. No one used to bat an eyelid to me and my friends when we shot stukkies( Starlings) off their TV areils with our Diana's and Webley's. Now I'm sorry for what I did....

sorry wrong place-- and I can't see straight
    Last edited by Big Seth; 04-12-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Funnily enough I was speaking to a mate of mine this evening who has a 3D printer not a cheap thing, the problem he has come across is the lack of info when you need techy help he had to go between 15 different web sites to find something close to the problem he was having, he is at the moment producing single shot mags for his Daystate for FT. and fine tuning the printer.
    I AM NOT A NUMBER ! THE PRISONER

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133002

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I didn't see him printing the ammo

Usual scaremongering. If someone wanted a gun they could buy one, including the ammo, far more cheaply than a 3d printer.
    Exactly.

And making any form of basic gun requires the simplest of tools and the most basic of materials, hacksaw, hammer, screwdriver, that sort of thing, cost zero if you already have them, and even the crudest "designs" would be as lethal as anything out there. You don't even need "ammo" proper.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

3d printers

I put a post up in collectables about this recently, referring to the printing of obsolete plastic parts for airguns. Most seemed to miss the point & panicked about printing firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I put a post up in collectables about this recently, referring to the printing of obsolete plastic parts for airguns. Most seemed to miss the point & panicked about printing firearms.
    There's plenty of folk on here who come on solely to panic. Try posting anything about power pushing the limit, carrying your gun to a shoot, airgun licensing, 30/60 rules etc. etc.- you will see all the same old scaremongers frantically pecking at their keyboards, arses a-twitching.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

3d printers

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Exactly.

And making any form of basic gun requires the simplest of tools and the most basic of materials, hacksaw, hammer, screwdriver, that sort of thing, cost zero if you already have them, and even the crudest "designs" would be as lethal as anything out there. You don't even need "ammo" proper.
    Well said, just look at what those villages in the afgan border regions are knocking out!

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Exactly.

Yep. As kids we used to take a pair of handlebars and the extension off a bike, stick a banger (had to be a Brock's Cannon of course) down the extension and pull the fuse through the spreader bolt hole. This was followed by a loose fitting (fortunately!!!!) 1/2" ball bearing. We used to try and shoot the farmer's greenhouse with this makeshift gun at a range of at least 70 or 80 yds and could hear the ball bearings crashing through the surrounding trees with a fair bit of energy still in them. With a little imagination and readily available materials we could have turned that basic item into a self-contained single shot weapon - and we were only 10 years old!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye dick View Post
    Funnily enough I was speaking to a mate of mine this evening who has a 3D printer not a cheap thing, the problem he has come across is the lack of info when you need techy help he had to go between 15 different web sites to find something close to the problem he was having, he is at the moment producing single shot mags for his Daystate for FT. and fine tuning the printer.
    That sounds great, would there be a chance we could get some pictures for his single shot trays?

its a really exciting time, even though the printers are now available to the consumer market; it wont be long until they go down in price...

Watched a tv program the other week where a guy had made a fully functional Armalite with one of these printers , repercussions were they could be mass produced and very hard to keep track of.

I seem to be running well behind the pack on this 3D printing thing.Would that be a fully functioning plastic Armalite from which patterns,moulds and eventually parts would be cast in real molten metal? If so it seems one would still need foundry and machine shop.It does sound O.K for plastic components though.

I saw a program the other day where a guy printed a low yield nuclear bomb on a daisy wheel printer. All he needed to add was a timing device made from a Seiko 5 and he could have levelled all of Europe apparently.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

I've been having a good dabble with 3D printing lately.. I've made a Top turret for the Bushnell Elite 8-32x40 and an offset and angled wegu spacer.
    The quality and strength is spot on. I'm currently designing a new butt hook. It's the designing bit that takes time.

I don't own a printer (the one's you can pick up for a couple of grand aren't up to the quality yet), I just send mine off to an agency to have them printed on an expensive laser sintered nylon printer.

The top turrets for the Bushnell work out at around £3.50 each to have printed and so far I've sent out around 20 of them to people who need one. The Wegu spacer cost around £15 to print and I've got a mk2 version I'm just about to send off for printing.

These are renderings (so not real) but the real thing's come out exactly the same (apart from the one I've rendered in aluminium) - the the surface finish on them is a little like that of an extra strong mint.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6cnmarbxh52qap7/NHMw8Gd0xJ
    Last edited by Brian.Samson; 05-12-2013 at 10:13 PM.