Thread: Diana 470 TH

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diana 470 TH

Always fancied a Diana so took the plunge and bought one today. I bought the 470 th. Out of the box, oil everywhere, everything had a coat of it. I cleaned all the oil off and noted the finish which isn’t a blueing but a kind of mat grey bead blasted effect. I have to say I would have preferred blueing as this finish doesn’t look durable.
    Damn this thing is long, but it shoulders nice and balance is surprisingly good if a little front heavy ( a bit like a 98 ).
    Stock for me is terribad it forces you into a thumb through position when the design of the stock cries out for a thumb up grove. As it is the trigger pull is a bit of a stretch for me. Going to bin this stock ASAP.
    First shots…. Yeuch, not nice at all, very boingy and lively ( but it is new ). I only put 10 through it that was enough.
    I turned the rifle over to look at the spring and noticed there was no lube at all so I removed the stock to investigate further. After removing more oil from the underside of the action I decided to take a look inside. Strip was easy, just remove two pins at the rear of the action. They pushed out with a firm pressure on them. Spring guide is a delrin type of material and was a nice fit in the spring. Spring finished nicely at trigger end but the breach end was just cut and a small flat put on with a grinder ( left gouges inside piston ).

There was no lube whatsoever accept a fine coat of the oil that’s everywhere. Build quality looks excellent everywhere on the gun. Shame they didn’t de-burr the inside of the action as they have left nice gouges in the piston sleeve. I notice also that the bear trap release lever is leaving a light score mark on the action already so that will have to be removed.

It may seem by now I am not happy with the gun but surprisingly I am, honest. Its just a few minor things to sort ( I know it shouldn’t need it though) After a quick de-burr, lube and the addition of a top hat I think the gun will be transformed. It’s a bit like the TX/97 debate, tx fine as is, 97 needs a fettle. The 407 TH is a bit like a 97.

I will update later.
    Last edited by poison dwarf; 05-12-2013 at 05:02 PM.