Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip Off Britain

Rip Off Britain

Just been looking at the Umerex CP99 Compact and find that it is quite costly for a BB gun (price ranges from £120 to £138). I noticed videos on YouTube that mention $50 to $70 in the USA. Sure enough Pyramid Air sell them for $65. So thats around £43 in the US compared to the lowest price of £120 in the UK....almost three times the price. So I'll give that a miss

If you think Britain is a rip off try lining in some of theses places London is 65th on the list and you won't get drunk in Oslo at £9.41 a pint
    Cheers Lloyd

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Excellent business opportunity for you there. Import a couple of hundred, sell them at half UK price......pay shipping, import duty, VAT, corporation tax..and go bust very quickly
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Excellent business opportunity for you there. Import a couple of hundred, sell them at half UK price......pay shipping, import duty, VAT, corporation tax..and go bust very quickly
    That's not my plan! But it shocking that they sell for far far less (presumably with a profit) in US who presumably also have expenses...guess far lower shipping costs and the benefit of bulk buying power.

Anyway I'm still not paying £140 for a largely plastic gun...and have to travel to collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbandit View Post
    If you think Britain is a rip off try lining in some of theses places London is 65th on the list and you won't get drunk in Oslo at £9.41 a pint
    For a nation with a relatively low cost if living, it seems to cost a lot more than some other countries for a largely plastic gun...I guess it's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    i never understand why people make this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i never understand why people make this argument.
    I'm still trying to work out where VAT and corporation tax come into a private import.

ATB Mick

You will certainly be liable for VAT for any import from USA plus another £10 for the privilege of having it delivered by Parcelforce.
    Imports from EU have already had VAT charged at source.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    You will certainly be liable for VAT for any import from USA plus another £10 for the privilege of having it delivered by Parcelforce.
    Imports from EU have already had VAT charged at source.

Ian
    Cheers Ian

I know VAT is reclaimable from EU countries but couldn't be sure if imports from the US were taxed without logging into the Gateway.

With VAT and Parcelforce you can soon see where the extra money goes.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Cheers Ian

I know VAT is reclaimable from EU countries but couldn't be sure if imports from the US were taxed without logging into the Gateway.

With VAT and Parcelforce you can soon see where the extra money goes.

All the best Mick
    I've bought a few old pistols from USA, but its only worth doing if they are not readily available within the EU, as dollars very soon equates to pounds.

I've had some good bargains from Germany .

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    I've bought a few old pistols from USA, but its only worth doing if they are not readily available within the EU, as dollars very soon equates to pounds.

I've had some good bargains from Germany .

Ian
    The most extreme case I found was seeing a brand new FAS 604 in a sports shop while holidaying in Amalfi Italy last summer....
    Currently available here through Checkmate at £530, I was stunned to see it going at 300 Euro. Just couldn't risk getting it confiscated driving back.

Gun Prices - It's for Your Own Good

It is not practical to compare prices in the US with the UK for three reasons:
    1) Dealers in the US reach a much larger audience using mail order, whereas in the UK the VCR Act obliges dealers generally to trade face to face.
    2) US dealers can order large quantities to readily sell by mail order (maybe directly from the factory), whereas UK sellers probably buy a few at a time from importers/distributors that add a considerable mark up on prices.
    3) Shipping distances are different.
    Prices in the US perhaps indicate the cost from the factory. If Pyramid Air sell the CP99 Compact for $65 (£43), then assuming deductions for profit margin, shipping and taxes; might suggest around £25 from the factory! Amazon.com charge $75 +$7 domestic shipping (£55).
    Costs about £120 + £20 local transfer fee in the UK....but its for our own good.

Update: $70 in store at Wallmart in the US (£43 @ current exchange). Cheapest in the UK is £120 + £10 Transfer fee to local shop + £25 colletion fee at local shop = £155; now that is taking the ?!$$ for a BB gun.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 30-12-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Update added

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post

Anyway I'm still not paying £140 for a largely plastic gun...and have to travel to collect it.
    it isn't- the CP99 compact is all metal- i have one.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
    it isn't- the CP99 compact is all metal- i have one.
    Thanks for that...I'd feel a bit better about the cost now. I thought the lower frame was plastic based on YouTube reviews (Switchingtomac). However, I now see that it is the CP99 (pellet) gun that has the plastic frame. He does not mention the frame on the Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Thanks for that...I'd feel a bit better about the cost now. I thought the lower frame was plastic based on YouTube reviews (Switchingtomac). However, I now see that it is the CP99 (pellet) gun that has the plastic frame. He does not mention the frame on the Compact.
    sorry, i was confusing it with the slide being all metal- the frame & grip are plastic- but then so is the real gun.