Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip Off Britain

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
    sorry, i was confusing it with the slide being all metal- the frame & grip are plastic- but then so is the real gun.
    Thanks, certainly seems to have some weight to it in the video.

NOW lets use a Crosman 2240 for an example.
    I hear you say reason twice the price has to come from USA.

If wholly made there fair enough, some are made in china i think.
    Crosman Europe HG is in Holland, and so is there central warhouse.
    Bring parts in from China ensemble them in the EU.
    Cut the import tax out.
    As for transit price from US bulk container shipment £1 A PISTOL AT THE MOST I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT

Quote Originally Posted by da da View Post
    NOW lets use a Crosman 2240 for an example.
    I hear you say reason twice the price has to come from USA.

If wholly made there fair enough, some are made in china i think.
    Crosman Europe HG is in Holland, and so is there central warhouse.
    Bring parts in from China ensemble them in the EU.
    Cut the import tax out.
    As for transit price from US bulk container shipment £1 A PISTOL AT THE MOST I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT
    Seems you have it sorted,I love the armchair experts.Do you know the business model they work to so you can cross reference your findings, of course you don't.

BILL50

I have noticed on lots of air gun forums,lots of guys sitting in there chairs waiting to jump on some one
    Its only a Air gun forum.
    Calm down we are only throwing things in the air mate.
    Last edited by da da; 15-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.

I have noticed on lots of air gun forums,lots of guys sitting in there chairs waiting to jump on some one
    He is one of the bigger armchair experts on here, I wouldn't pay too much attention to him.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

If its any consolation, its not just airgun forums - although the BBS specifically must be up there (down there?) with the worst of them.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    If its any consolation, its not just airgun forums - although the BBS specifically must be up there (down there?) with the worst of them.
    try joining reptile forums uk- 'jump on others' posts' are the keywords there!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Look on the bright side, it's priced so high here only an idiot would buy one, thereby saving you from wasting your money on what is a crap gun in the first place.
    The idiots can then provide the secondhand sale (after they've found out it's crap) which is then not subject to the VCR bill restrictions and allows postal sales thus saving you fuel driving around the country as well

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Look on the bright side, it's priced so high here only an idiot would buy one, thereby saving you from wasting your money on what is a crap gun in the first place.
    The idiots can then provide the secondhand sale (after they've found out it's crap) which is then not subject to the VCR bill restrictions and allows postal sales thus saving you fuel driving around the country as well
    Now you may be on to some thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I was also thinking it would be best to buy used (same goes for other guns). The fact that the price is ridiculous low in the US made me suspect its build quality, and thus very reluctant to pay the high new UK price. For a BB 'action' gun (i.e. a fun gun) it is great value at US prices, but not at new UK prices.

Rip Off Britian

Sad but true the Government in this country will not be satisfied untill they have all of our disposable income and just so that they will have more money to waste !! come the Revollution !!!

Regards Ric

Quote Originally Posted by Ric66 View Post
    Sad but true the Government in this country will not be satisfied untill they have all of our disposable income and just so that they will have more money to waste !! come the Revollution !!!

Regards Ric
    I have added an update to thread #12; it would cost £35 just to send it 100 miles in the UK, whereas you could buy the gun in a local store in the US for £43...but the plane ticket would be costly

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    It is not practical to compare prices in the US with the UK for three reasons:
    1) Dealers in the US reach a much larger audience using mail order, whereas in the UK the VCR Act obliges dealers generally to trade face to face.
    2) US dealers can order large quantities to readily sell by mail order (maybe directly from the factory), whereas UK sellers probably buy a few at a time from importers/distributors that add a considerable mark up on prices.
    3) Shipping distances are different.
    Prices in the US perhaps indicate the cost from the factory. If Pyramid Air sell the CP99 Compact for $65 (£43), then assuming deductions for profit margin, shipping and taxes; might suggest around £25 from the factory! Amazon.com charge $75 +$7 domestic shipping (£55).
    Costs about £120 + £20 local transfer fee in the UK....but its for our own good.

Update: $70 in store at Wallmart in the US (£43 @ current exchange). Cheapest in the UK is £120 + £10 Transfer fee to local shop + £25 colletion fee at local shop = £155; now that is taking the ?!$$ for a BB gun.
    tbf, even before the VCR act, when guns could be sent by mail order, they were still much more expensive here than in the US or even much of europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    I have added an update to thread #12; it would cost £35 just to send it 100 miles in the UK, whereas you could buy the gun in a local store in the US for £43...but the plane ticket would be costly

What you need is a 'friend' in America to buy it and send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    What you need is a 'friend' in America to buy it and send it to you.
    Funny you mention that. Just found out I might be going to the US next year, so maybe could buy it there and post it home (if that's allowed by the 'powers that be' - maybe not?). Just had my local shop advise the price for new stock...wait for it...£175...no kidding!