Thread: 6yrd Rifle Front Element

6yrd Rifle Front Element

Quick question, After years of target pistol I have decided to try and improve my rifle shooting, What size front element is a good starting point, I know much depends on personal preference but thought some more experienced rifle shooters may have an idea of where to start, Seem to be able to get info on 10 mtr but not 6 yrd, Cheers
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

6Yard

Hi Nige

I shoot 7 yd bell target and use a 4.0 did use a 3.8 for years, as I am getting older I find the bigger sight more user friendly

Jim

Cheers Jim, got a 4 I picked up today so should be Ok to start, Rifle was fitted with a 3.6 which was too small as no light around the black, Gonna invest in an iris so I can experiment and work out whats best for me and the lighting on the range, Nige

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Hi Nige

I shoot 7 yd bell target and use a 4.0 did use a 3.8 for years, as I am getting older I find the bigger sight more user friendly

Jim
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Once the target is acquired, the smaller elements are certainly better. However, it is the acquisition, especially with older eyes, that is the problem.

I used to do quite well with a 3.6mm but found it increasingly difficult to actually acquire the target, bell target hole in this case, at which point I moved up to a 3.8mm.

I still struggle with some of the less well lit targets, but it's a compromise.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

My eye's are Ok but the lighting isn't the best, I can shoot with the 3.6 at home but struggle at the range, I think I'll get a set of front elements and an iris rear so I can adjust the rifle accordingly, The iris rears seem reasonably price and will allow me to adjust for different lighting which I think is the problem, Cheers for the help
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,